• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The official "What did you do to your jet boat today" thread.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boat looks great. I am a new boat owner (212 Limited). What product(s) do you use to clean your boat, especially the black dash interior?
I try not to touch the black dash interior as it scratches SUPER easy. If I do have to clean it I put a drop of meguiars hyperwash in a spray bottle filled with water. Light mist and a microfiber towel. The best way to clean a boat is to keep it well protected. I wash my boat everytime it comes home using the standard 2 bucket wash, an MTM hydrofoam lance, and microfiber wash mitt. My boat is rarely dirty and it largely clean with just a pressure washer, however it still gets foamed and hand washed to make sure there aren't smaller particles.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another work day on the boat. Added egg crate panels...
View attachment 140392View attachment 140393View attachment 140394

Finally installed the flooding alarm...
View attachment 140391 View attachment 140395
I attached the sensor with velcro stickies. That way I can move it down or up as I want. I also debated where to put the alarm panel. So in the meantime it is on the corner of the power switch. It may stay there a while.

I finally put in the ignition switch block thingy I got from @Bruce . Nothing really to take a photo of... It fits perfectly, like a glove, and looks totally normal. Super glued the broken switch. You can't tell anything happened. Didn't tighten the broken switch nut (until it fully cures in 24 hours).

Dragged both batteries out of the boat to have them tested. Having an issue where the house battery drops a lot when I turn on the boat. It will start at 14+v, but then drop to like 12.3v (and if I turn on the blower, down to 11.7v). So I thought it was bad, though it was testing with my little tester fine. Drop was too fast and too much. Certainly it was bad...

Took them both to AutoZone (while taking one, took the other--why not?). Both passed with flying colors. Water level was a little high. But other than that they were perfect. Bought a turkey baster there made for sucking fluid from batteries, so I could bring them to the right level. Dragged them back to the boat, reinstalled them. I figured there must be some small short somewhere. Why else would the voltage drop like that?

First I left off the charger. Turned on the boat--same issue. Hooked up the charger and started pulling fuses in my fuse block (not the one back by the engines--the one I added). Could not isolate the issue. Both my chartplotter and my USB show voltage, so even when I pulled one I could see the level on the other. The audio is on 2 circuits (the head unit on one and the amp and pre-amp on another), but pulling neither of them seemed to affect anything.

So then, just for fun, with the fuses all back, I decided to start with the two most likely things: the last thing I added and the thing with the biggest draw--the amp and the preamp. So I turned off the chartplotter. No change. I turned off the VHF. No change. I turned off the HU (which turned off the amp and pre-amp) and the voltage started coming up (the charger was on). The pre-amp has a modular plug for the power, so I pulled that. Turned on the head unit (and the amp came on)--voltage stayed up. I looked at the pre-amp and noticed that one of the blocks I used to connect the GPS to the VHF radio was leaning funny against the back of the pre-amp--I think making contact with one of the screws. I moved it away and to the side. Plugged it back in--poof. Voltage did not drop.

Didn't have the parts I want to use on that fix with me, but I know what it is now. That is most of the battle.

Significantly, I now have installed everything I have purchased or been gifted for the boat. This is a rare occurrence. I have been carrying some of this crap in the boat for years. Now it is all there, all working and used. Much more room in the boat, too.
Man - that's great!
I h8 electric gremlins.
Thank you, inspired me to order supplies to clean up some things behind my helm! I needed that inspiration. Funny how that works.

--

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Finally got to take out the boat yesterday, last outing Dec. 10th. Started cold, 35 degrees, warmed up to 45 noon time and high 50s late afternoon . Finally got to the 10 hour mark (10.9).
So today brought the boat home from storage unit and started the 10 hour service. From day one, the oil level was past the high mark. After leveling engine, not the boat, After leveling engine, not boat, hooked up water hose, started engine then water. Ran for six minutes varying RPMs and checked that thermostat had opened, turned water Off, then engine. Set five minutes and checked oil level, still past high mark.
Removed 3.4 quarts plus what was left in oil filter. Cleaned up, installed filter added 3.25 quarts of oil. Ran engine and water for five minutes and stopped. After removing water hose and bring everything else off the boat rechecked the oil level..Was in the middle of both dots/holes. I did remove the air filter to check out, was very clean, no spotting or debris on it. Reinstalled.
I was going to add a squirt of grease into the bearing housing but did not.
I have included a picture of how the bearing housing cert is rigged up and need clarification from you pros out there. Their is a house zip tied to the nipple and runs up to the back of the engine. Is it dummied or what.IMG_1634.jpgIMG_1633.jpg

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, the GPS Speed app on my cell phone registered 4 mph faster than speed on dash So with just me on the boat with full tank of gas the boat speed covered 20s, 30s, 40s, and with the wind behind me 52 mph. I think for me this boat is too fast but i am disciplined enough not to abuse it.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I looked at pictures I took of my boat right before putting it into storage in November, does that count? It got me dreaming of all the things I *would* be doing, namely getting around to purchasing and installing trim tabs.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not the boat, but the trailer. Took the tires in to get balanced. Last summer noticed a slight vibration when pulling long distances and with planning on taking it to FL twice this year I figured it made sense to get it done.

Skin6061

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been ordering parts and waiting on warmer days to do the install. So far I have to swap the trailer lights to led, install a 10"sub, amp, tower speakers, spare tire and carrier, boat buckles and bow roller.
I have more stuff I want to do like, build rgb speaker rings for all 9 speakers. But that means building a rgb lighting wiring harness and figuring out which controller I want to use.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't get to work on the boat today. Thought I'd try a new tow vehicle though. 🤣
Had a little grinding issue that needed attention on one of our actual tow vehicles so had to pull the toys out so I could work out in the garage.
20210130_103411.jpg 20210130_111314.jpg

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
New numbers for the boat arrived! Super stoked to get the uneven numbers off. Even with my OCD and taking crazy measures still couldn't get them perfectly straight. I like these already on the backing. Make laying out stuff straight easier. Once it gets warmer I'll pull off the old ones, polish off the ceramic coating, lay these down, and recoat them/the area.
20210204_183126.jpg20210204_183118.jpg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gower speaker wifing
Might have drank a little too much during this project, but hey, as long as it works when you are all done, it's all good. 🤣

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New numbers for the boat arrived! Super stoked to get the uneven numbers off. Even with my OCD and taking crazy measures still couldn't get them perfectly straight. I like these already on the backing. Make laying out stuff straight easier. Once it gets warmer I'll pull off the old ones, polish off the ceramic coating, lay these down, and recoat them/the area.
Who did you use for your numbers? I've looked at a few but haven't made a decision yet.
I looked at Vinyl Lettering - DoItYourselfLettering.com and Boat Lettering, Custom Vinyl Names and Graphics - BoatLetteringToYou.com

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Didn't do this TO the boat but bought this anticipating summer fun. Went with a simple tube design this time (we had a chariot type before and it was a pain).

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Who did you use for your numbers? I've looked at a few but haven't made a decision yet.
I looked at Vinyl Lettering - DoItYourselfLettering.com and Boat Lettering, Custom Vinyl Names and Graphics - BoatLetteringToYou.com
I used domedlettering.com They definitely were not cheap. Had no idea we had a local resource that did graphics. I saw quite a few yammies on there and took a gamble. They were about $120 shipped......def not cheap, but they appear to be great quality.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I used domedlettering.com They definitely were not cheap. Had no idea we had a local resource that did graphics. I saw quite a few yammies on there and took a gamble. They were about $120 shipped......def not cheap, but they appear to be great quality.
Domming aint easy i wont even touch it, theres a guy on ebay from puerto rico $75 does good work on domming

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Domming aint easy i wont even touch it, theres a guy on ebay from puerto rico $75 does good work on domming
Yeah I didn't find many online resources that wanted anything to do with it. It definitely wasn't cheap, but they look really good. Definitely wanted the domed ones after seeing some on the lake this past summer.