• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The official "What did you do to your jet boat today" thread.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are you looking for on the timing chain inspection? I might need to do that this year on my ar192
Just looking for any broken links. Really only a 2010-2015 item.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Installed some used cobra jet magnum AK. Thanks to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC for a super quick and helpful reply on a question I had, even on a used product.
Looking forward to trying these out soon.
Last time out we did a very slow cruise for about an hour and the back and forth steering to keep the boat straight was driving me crazy.
D4850348-4232-47F0-8E0B-50A4008680EC.jpeg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, keep in mind you can also add the new super fins and the top fins and plaining surface to that system and it will still be compatible with the other mod you have on there Actually the newest Super AK fins have a cut out in the leading edge of the fins and a larger top on the fins for extra slow speed assistance . It is a very easy upgrade if you want the latest parts.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I thought about the boat, that’s about as far as I got. Thought that I need to move it from the shop where it’s stored, up to the heated garage so I can work on it. Just don’t feel like doing it when the hi temp hit 0* today.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Finally got to take out the boat yesterday, last outing Dec. 10th. Started cold, 35 degrees, warmed up to 45 noon time and high 50s late afternoon . Finally got to the 10 hour mark (10.9).
So today brought the boat home from storage unit and started the 10 hour service. From day one, the oil level was past the high mark. After leveling engine, not the boat, After leveling engine, not boat, hooked up water hose, started engine then water. Ran for six minutes varying RPMs and checked that thermostat had opened, turned water Off, then engine. Set five minutes and checked oil level, still past high mark.
Removed 3.4 quarts plus what was left in oil filter. Cleaned up, installed filter added 3.25 quarts of oil. Ran engine and water for five minutes and stopped. After removing water hose and bring everything else off the boat rechecked the oil level..Was in the middle of both dots/holes. I did remove the air filter to check out, was very clean, no spotting or debris on it. Reinstalled.
I was going to add a squirt of grease into the bearing housing but did not.
I have included a picture of how the bearing housing cert is rigged up and need clarification from you pros out there. Their is a house zip tied to the nipple and runs up to the back of the engine. Is it dummied or what.View attachment 140414View attachment 140415
Today I finally spoke with the service manager at PhilDill boats Lewisville Texas on the bearing.
Turns out for this model 2021 195FSH CC Sport it has a new unserviceable lifetime bearing that is to be left alone.
So for me as long as I own this boat I will leave it alone and yes I documented on my service manual.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robby76 That is first that I have seen about the lifetime bearing. Does the bearing have a Zerk? If so why would it if it is lifetime unserviceable. Could you take a pic of your service manual where it says this and post it? If this is truly the case it is very important and hopefully it would make its way to all models.

I tried looking up your manual at they Yamaha Boat Owners Manual site but it says it doesnt exist yet.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today I finally spoke with the service manager at PhilDill boats Lewisville Texas on the bearing.
Turns out for this model 2021 195FSH CC Sport it has a new unserviceable lifetime bearing that is to be left alone.
So for me as long as I own this boat I will leave it alone and yes I documented on my service manual.
That is an interesting comment from the dealer. The 2021 JetBoat parts microfiche isn't online yet and neither is the service manual so i cant verify.
The owners manual for my 2021 specifically states to add marine grease at 10 hrs. and then every 100hrs or 6 months. The intermediate housing is pretty much the same between models for different years as shown by the Yamaha Parts Microfiche. It does differ in part #'s between supercharged and non-supercharged. The boats also have an additional housing at the rear which is on the picture posted but that one doesn't have any grease fittings on it. Looking at your pic you can see the Zerk fitting and hose which mine has also. Same setup, will be interesting to see if part #'s changed and that might lend come credibility to your dealer.

Boat
2020 195 FSH Sport/Deluxe
6S5-G5332-00-00
HOUSING, BEARING

2020 190 FSH Sport
6S5-G5332-00-00
HOUSING, BEARING

2020 AR240 HO
6S5-G5332-00-00
HOUSING, BEARING

Waverunner
2020 FX SVHO
6S5-G5332-00-00
HOUSING, BEARING

2021 FX SVHO
6S5-G5332-00-00
HOUSING, BEARING

Last edited:

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes, my manual states to add grease at 10 hours and there after at 100 hours that’s why I contacted dealer because I didn’t want to undo something I wasn’t familiar with.
The pictures are on the reply as attachment 140415 above. Click on click to expand.
JD-84 2004877 is what the label states that is stamped on it.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMHO you need to do what you feel is best for your boat. Personally, unless I could get verification from Yamaha, I would do what the manual indicates at the bare minimum. At the very least I would need independent corroboration from multiple sources to determine if I wasn't going to follow the SOP or manual. Of course if a dealer wants to put it in writing that they are fully responsible and they, at no cost to you, would pay to have the bearing replace or any other issues that arise, because the Yamaha Manual indicates otherwise that is another thing. It appears to be the same bearing as previous years, so not sure how they came up with that.

If in fact it is a different bearing that doesn't require maintenance that would be great. One less thing to screw with.

Anyhow those are my musing on it, take them for what they are worth.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I Have 2, 2021 intermediate bearings on my new skies I have no doubt that your bearing also has the grease fitting and I have no doubt that The bearings do not need grease I removed the grease fittings and attached some other hose barb fittings with some tubing to allow me acces to the housing using the syringe and gear lube that I have been advising people to use rather than pumping any grease in and damaging the seals or rubber. I did that before I ever launched them.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, my manual states to add grease at 10 hours and there after at 100 hours that’s why I contacted dealer because I didn’t want to undo something I wasn’t familiar with.
The pictures are on the reply as attachment 140415 above. Click on click to expand.
JD-84 2004877 is what the label states that is stamped on it.
Just a point of clarification on this subject after seeing Jeff's post. It is true that the "bearing" itself contained within the housing is sealed and "doesn't" require greasing thru the Zerk fitting. What you are actually adding grease to are the seals in front and behind the bearings. That is what prevents water intrusion, the seals. So yes, they should be greased to prevent seal failure. What I would like to see is if there is a part # change for the 2021 boats. Depending on what changed, if anything, then we can see if its true. I honestly doubt it because this same design has been around since at least the 90's. My 95 Raider has the same design on it.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just swapped the oil and plugs yesterday. Really was nothing to it - whole lot easier than my truck lol. Biggest hiccup I ran into was that the rubber fitting on my spark plug socket came off on the first new plug I replaced and like a yutz I didn’t realize till I shoved the boot down on top of it. One tip from experiences with stuck plugs on my truck is that I was sure to pull the plugs right after I did the oil and the engine was still warm. A hot block always helped me extract from my 4Runner and I had read that some folks had issues in the past with these guys. Didn’t give me any problems. Also made sure to coat the threads with anti-seize to not have any problems next year. Did the first set while the second engine was warming up so had virtually no downtime which was nice.

Don’t think I managed to get all the way down the reservoir to drain all the oil though, only removed around 2L in the stbd side and about 2.25L in port. The stbd side leaked out about a cup when I pulled the filter. I also may have been low in the first place. Filled a little more than I removed though (2.5L) and will keep an eye on it - dip sticks read about 3/4 full, figure it’ll settle a bit once the oil makes its way down/around. Best part of the whole thing was that my marina has an oil disposal barrel(s) so I didn’t even have to go anywhere to get rid of the old stuff.

Lastly: F*** strap wrenches. Hate em lol. Will probably get a proper filter wrench for next time, just didn’t have the right size handy.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just a point of clarification on this subject after seeing Jeff's post. It is true that the "bearing" itself contained within the housing is sealed and "doesn't" require greasing thru the Zerk fitting. What you are actually adding grease to are the seals in front and behind the bearings. That is what prevents water intrusion, the seals. So yes, they should be greased to prevent seal failure. What I would like to see is if there is a part # change for the 2021 boats. Depending on what changed, if anything, then we can see if its true. I honestly doubt it because this same design has been around since at least the 90's. My 95 Raider has the same design on it.
OK, so Raider has the same design, how has Raider approached this issue? I want to know.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, so Raider has the same design, how has Raider approached this issue? I want to know.
The method I used was to pump grease with the hose removed from the housing until I saw it come out the end of the hose. I would then reattach to the housing and give it 2-3 pumps. Did this carefully every 50 hrs or so and never had an issue with my WaveRaider. Back in the 90's it wasn't well known to do this and i myself wasn't aware. A fellow rider that was into yamaha watercraft heavily showed me one time and i started it doing it from that moment on. I tried all sort of crazy stuff on that ski, I used marine grease, lithium, WD40, yamalube, you name it, all in an effort to keep it running as good as possible.

Jeff's method also works well to lubricate. As long as you don't go crazy and try to pump half the tube you will be fine.

Im doing it to both my 2021 crafts as the manual instructs. Unless something has drastically changed with the housings, I don't believe they are maintenance free.