• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The officially unofficial performance sunglasses thread

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tdonoughue You are most welcome. :)

Did you get glass or polycarbonate lenses in the Tuna Alley?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent question! Er... um...

Blue mirror 580G. That is polycarbonate, right?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"I'd rather be lucky than good..."

I just went with the same lenses on which you reported! So, the choice was really yours. Good job!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(Already do--went to a party yesterday outside as the weather finally let up. Every time I took off my Costas I was like, oh, this is crap, and put them back on.)

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I am one of those guys who buys the safety glasses at Home Depot as his sunglasses. But I was reading this thread and thinking....

And then I figured out that at work I had a bunch of these reward points (they hand them out for anniversaries and such). And I did a search and they have sunglasses for which you can redeem them. And they are sitting there doing nothing for me. So, why not?

So I picked up a pair of Costa (Tuna Alley) and a pair of Oakley (Split Shot) as reviewed above. The former for the truck; the latter for the boat.

Now, it's been raining constantly basically and everything is flooded. So I have not been able to try the boat ones (other than putting them on here in the house, and while I can tell they are comfy and all, I don't consider that a real test), but I wore the truck ones today for the first time when we got some sun.

I must say I am impressed. Much like when I took the board's suggestion on flip-flops and was impressed, I am again impressed. I see now what you mean about the clarity of the optics. No wiggle at all looking in any direction or turning your head or anything. And the way the polarization and mild tinting is designed is truly primo. Doesn't make everything look fake, but does really make a difference.

My compliments to all the input here, especially to @WiskyDan . Thank God I have another thing on which I now have to spend money (when these 2 pair wear out...). :)
I am a cheap skate about most things....but good sunglasses can be a game changer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK sunglasses guru's. I've got a question.

My drug store level cheap pair of Foster Grant sunglasses (~$20 range) failed on me over the weekend. Side arm snapped in half on me. I'm currently rocking my $3 #m Tinted Safety Glasses. I have about 16 pairs of these, and they work. Keep the sun out of my eyes, and I'm not even a little upset if they are lost/broken.

I think I want to try something a little nicer than the drug store brands. Would like a set of polarized lenses I think (more on that in a second). I don't want to venture into $100+ territory just yet though. While I totally get the "you get what you pay for", I'm just not there at this point. I used to have a set of Oakley E-Wires (back in the early '00's), and they were great until they were destroyed by a dog chewing on them. I've been on drug store lenses ever since.

On polarized lenses.......Will these interfere with the fancy new displays in my Q7? It's a LCD screen for all the gages, and for the center stack screen. Buddy has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and has to get NON-Polarized lenses because the screen is mounted 90deg out from the polarization of the glasses, and polarized lenses black out the dash. Guess I could spend $10 on a set of cheap polarized lenses to see if that's the case, but curious if anyone else has that issue, and how to avoid it.

NOW.....on the vendors.

I found these from Shady Rays that come recommended from some guys at work. They look "OK", but not great. I'm not big on plastic frames, typically more of a wire frame guy. There are inexpensive, and are from a local company.
Shady Rays X-Series Blackout

Next up are these from Zhile on Amazon. They're only $15, polarized, and a little more my style. No idea on quality, because you know, Amazon. THe look nice, and would probably work OK.
Zhile 8-base metal glasses on Amazon

If money was no object, these would the purchase I think. Oakley Carbon Blades. I like the look, and know Oakleys quality. Can't even come close to justifying $350 for a set of glasses though.
Oakley Carbon Blades

I'm really having a hard time finding a "mid range" set of frames/lenses. Seems like there are a TON of $15 sets, and a TON of $150+ sets, with nothing in between. Any thoughts?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Costas are nice. You can get a nice pair for around $150, they are also doing a $30 off sale. I have the Jose's and love them. But they are just over $200. I have the 580g Glass lenses.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a big Costa fan. I have had several pairs over the years and am particular to the glass lens with blue mirror. I got a text message a few months ago from what looked like Costa. Huge discount on many styles. I bought two pairs because they were literally $25 a pair and I figured if it was a scam, oh well it was worth a shot. I ordered the 580g lens just to see what I would get. When I received the two pairs they were in, what looked like, Costa packaging. Nice case, nice cleaning rag with Costa logo, all the printed material from Costa telling me about the product and thanking me for my business. Everything looked like they were for real Costa. Only thing was they were the poly lenses. I figured oh well, still for $25 they are really nice shades. Have to be a little more careful with them but what the heck. I even emailed Costa customer service and asked how some internet company could be selling their product for so cheap. They responded with, "they don't know". The shades are very well made, great mirroring, great polarized performance, great fit with sticky rubber on the nose and ear pieces. I just got another text a few days ago if anyone wants to give it a try, Costa deal

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have moved almost exclusively to the C-Mates Readers by Costa , I have the Ballast and the Tuna Alley with the 580P lens (they don't make the readers in glass.) I'm old and need readers for my phone, anything close etc - these are game changers in that I don't need to have a pair of readers on the boat to switch out to to read my phone , a book or anything. Like any combo reader glasses they do take a bit of getting used to with the reader panel being at the bottom , but these are now the only sunglasses I wear now due to the lens quality and convenience. I do have a set of regular costas with the 580G lens I love for jet skiing (less reading moments) but rarely grab those when I go out now.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a recovering Oakley addict, and former Maui Jim guy. Switch from Mauis to Oakleys when my Mauis exploded while skiing, they dont like cold at all. Akleys did fine in cold, but never fit as nice for me.

I'm now a Costa guy. Great optics, great build, great warranty, great price... Honestly they cant be beat.
Also, it's mind boggling to me how any product with a screen makes it on the market without being polarized correctly. We drove a loaded palisade with a HUD, and it was olarized 90 degrees off. Literally polarized 90 off from every other screen in the vehicle too. Stupid stupid stupid.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a recovering Oakley addict, and former Maui Jim guy. Switch from Mauis to Oakleys when my Mauis exploded while skiing, they dont like cold at all. Akleys did fine in cold, but never fit as nice for me.

I'm now a Costa guy. Great optics, great build, great warranty, great price... Honestly they cant be beat.
Also, it's mind boggling to me how any product with a screen makes it on the market without being polarized correctly. We drove a loaded palisade with a HUD, and it was olarized 90 degrees off. Literally polarized 90 off from every other screen in the vehicle too. Stupid stupid stupid.
havent had any probs with my maui's! Clear/blue kawikas are still my faves(but I wouldnt use them for something active like skiing). Costas, iv'e tried a few on, quality is fantastic, but yet to find a pair that suits me. I hope to change that!

Still have the gamut of ray ban and oakleys though. I'm on a classic wayfarer kick right now. Got a sweet custom and now a transparent blue set recently.

My wife and I still have a problem, and are refusing help. :p do they have a rehab for sunglass nuts?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
havent had any probs with my maui's! Clear/blue kawikas are still my faves(but I wouldnt use them for something active like skiing). Costas, iv'e tried a few on, quality is fantastic, but yet to find a pair that suits me. I hope to change that!

Still have the gamut of ray ban and oakleys though. I'm on a classic wayfarer kick right now. Got a sweet custom and now a transparent blue set recently.

My wife and I still have a problem, and are refusing help. :p do they have a rehab for sunglass nuts?
One of my roommates in college worked for sunglass hut. I swear he spent 30% of what he made on sunglasses, and they offered them insane discounts. The margin in those things is insane. He ended up selling a bunch on eBay, he had so many lol.

I loved my mauis until they exploded lol. I went skiing and it was like 20 to 30F and they took a bump and the plastic shattered. I don't really fault them for it, and I'd own more, but I've just grown to like Costas since then.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my roommates in college worked for sunglass hut. I swear he spent 30% of what he made on sunglasses, and they offered them insane discounts. The margin in those things is insane. He ended up selling a bunch on eBay, he had so many lol.
We actually explored opening a sunglass shop for this exact purpose lol Sadly, we don't have any good options too near us. Buy online send back when they don't fit right.

I really want to get to maui jim headquarters at some point try them ALLL on.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We actually explored opening a sunglass shop for this exact purpose lol Sadly, we don't have any good options too near us. Buy online send back when they don't fit right.

Yall don't have a sunglass hut? We legit have like... 2 per mall here. Plus off brand ones. And usually a kiosk. Also all sporting goods stores sell them, and you can get cheapo literally everywhere.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Cabelas has a good selection of all the brands discussed here. Go there, try them on then order them online if the prices on line are better. I tried on the Costa Blackfin pros at Cabelas then ordered them direct form Costa. Excellent sunglasses. I got mine with the green high contrast lens, makes things razor sharp. My only regret was not buying the second pair for 50% off with the blue mirrored lenses for really bright conditions.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yall don't have a sunglass hut? We legit have like... 2 per mall here. Plus off brand ones. And usually a kiosk. Also all sporting goods stores sell them, and you can get cheapo literally everywhere.
NOPE. the mall about an hour away had a kiosk but is closed. Closest we have is Scheels Sporting goods with all brands mentioned, just not the most diverse selection....

Mall 2hrs away has sunglass hut.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cabelas has a good selection of all the brands discussed here. Go there, try them on then order them online if the prices on line are better. I tried on the Costa Blackfin pros at Cabelas then ordered them direct form Costa. Excellent sunglasses. I got mine with the green high contrast lens, makes things razor sharp. My only regret was not buying the second pair for 50% off with the blue mirrored lenses for really bright conditions.
no cabelas anywhere near. closest is 3 hrs+

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I told the sunglasses gal I couldn’t see fish in the water. She said I was in the wrong spot! Ok, good answer. Then she asked what color lens I had. I have brown lens. She said the best color lens was grey for bay/Gulf waters. We were talking polarized.
What do you think is best?
Reflective coating helpful?
Wraparound helpful?