• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on Chartplotter upgrade

bgmatth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am looking for some advice or direction... I currently have a Garmin GPSMAP 531s. The unit is great but a little compact as a chartplotter. The screen is only 5” and it is pushing 11 yrs in age. I am wanting to upgrade in the Garmin line (if possible) to a 7 or 9 inch chartplotter. Your thoughts on the a nextgen model?

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a seven inch screen on my Garmin. I feel like it’s a decent size without being too big. Just a personal preference.AB398AAE-D794-4A9D-9546-7DFBE75B5737.jpeg

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you truly just looking for a chart plotter instead of sonar, also consider an Ipad. I’ve got the full 12 inch plus pro, but of course there are also 8 and 10inch models. I run Navionics and I have a separate app (Boat Beacon) that can act as a digital AIS transponder/receiver. The AIS from that app are then overlaid on my Navionics maps. Pretty cool without having an actual AIS receiver.

520AEF30-B4EC-42B2-8B15-3F327E619000.jpeg
2ED3F0A0-49AD-438A-A78D-1FF29B3D2A37.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Is there anything that works as true navigation through channel markers and correct areas? The Lowrance I have just gives me an arrow on which direction to head.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there anything that works as true navigation through channel markers and correct areas? The Lowrance I have just gives me an arrow on which direction to head.
Navionics will give you a path to follow

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you truly just looking for a chart plotter instead of sonar, also consider an Ipad. I’ve got the full 12 inch plus pro, but of course there are also 8 and 10inch models. I run Navionics and I have a separate app (Boat Beacon) that can act as a digital AIS transponder/receiver. The AIS from that app are then overlaid on my Navionics maps. Pretty cool without having an actual AIS receiver.

View attachment 184486
View attachment 184487
Wait, tell me more about the AIS functionality please

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My Garmin will give me a route (94SV) but always check it. For example, when I told it to give me a route to Bimini, I started following it, and my brother was running a map on his navionics, and we discovered that the Garmin was, for some strange reason we never figured out, doing a dog leg in the middle of the crossing...adding a couple of miles! So I changed the Garmin to just give me a heading, and presto, the line went straight.

Links to my Garmin install are in my signature (which if you are on your phone you'l need to turn it sideways to see - the 242X link)

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is why you need Navionics! For many years all the marine navigation apps/chartplotters avoided any sort of automatic navigation guidance for liability. Your only option was the directional indicator you are describing or you to chart your course waypoint by waypoint. Finally a few years ago automatic guidance became available. All you have to put in your destination and it will chart a course (open water, through channel markers, etc) based on your boat size, draft, etc. finally Marine navigation looks a little bit more like Google maps! Still a little more development is needed, I would love the ability to see no wake zones like you see a speed limit on your car navigation.

I absolutely hate our stock navigation, you can really just put your finger on the map and navigate to it, there’s no way to enter a specific GPS coordinates or lookup destinations and certainly no automated guidance. I use it as a back up, in the event my iPad was thrown overboard and my Iphone (I have the apps on both).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 184486
View attachment 184487
I assume the AIS function will only work if 1) your IPAD has cellular built in and paid for, and 2) you have cell coverage (so no use offshore).

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wait, tell me more about the AIS functionality please
So to do this you’ll need two apps, Boat Beacon and Navionics. of course pay for the premium version of bothNavionics will be your primary navigation and the app displayed, boat beacon will run in the background, although it has its own map and can be used as a standalone AIS screen which is overlaid on a map, but the actual navigation is not as good. Here is what about Beacon looks like right now. I have the ability to click on any of those boats to get more info. You can set up automatic collision alarms, but you can also do this from within the Navionics app once you’re connected:

5CE0FF25-6949-4CA9-B168-AD59F0B66F1E.png

Set up Boat Beacon first with your MMSI #, boat description, size, photo. Same with Navionics.

Then go to your settings on Boat Beacon and you’ll see a way to share the AIS with another app “AIS Shar

90C1D23D-1826-4F9E-82BA-E8186BE6BC59.png
return to the Navionics app, go to settings, and share devices and you’ll have the ability to enter in these numbers:

875797E8-FD33-4AA6-B297-5830CB923591.png
E4938B82-05A5-4C59-BA66-958306D41CAD.png
CBB1B98A-E494-4C9E-8798-041B71BB0195.png

Once all this is set up, and you return to the Navionics home screen, you’ll notice these AIS targets are now over laid on top of your navigation maps (The green boat icons are live boats transmitting an AIS signal):

25DF8417-B18D-4B19-BD3B-87451BA3F04C.png
6B9B4FD5-44B5-4433-96C4-584783865A00.png

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I assume the AIS function will only work if 1) your IPAD has cellular built in and paid for, and 2) you have cell coverage (so no use offshore).
Correct, only the cellular iPads have built-in GPS anyway, although you don’t have to have The cellular actually activated in order to use the GPS. You can download the Maps over Wi-Fi. But to answer your question, yes if you want to use the AIS via an App you need to have wireless plan. It’s perfect for me because I use it within a couple miles from shore when I’m snorkeling reefs or wrecks or all around the Keys. Once you go several miles offshore and lose signal it becomes useless. That said, I’m pretty sure there are AIS receivers that set up a Wi-Fi network on the boat (same with radar) and will basically allow you to plug-in the same numbers on the Navionics app, except now it’s coming from an actual receiver. Would need to explore this more.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is awesome. I'll be downloading this soon. I love Navionics and this will make it even better.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is why you need Navionics! For many years all the marine navigation apps/chartplotters avoided any sort of automatic navigation guidance for liability. Your only option was the directional indicator you are describing or you to chart your course waypoint by waypoint. Finally a few years ago automatic guidance became available. All you have to put in your destination and it will chart a course (open water, through channel markers, etc) based on your boat size, draft, etc. finally Marine navigation looks a little bit more like Google maps! Still a little more development is needed, I would love the ability to see no wake zones like you see a speed limit on your car navigation.

I absolutely hate our stock navigation, you can really just put your finger on the map and navigate to it, there’s no way to enter a specific GPS coordinates or lookup destinations and certainly no automated guidance. I use it as a back up, in the event my iPad was thrown overboard and my Iphone (I have the apps on both).
I have Navionics Maps - specifically
Navionics+ South

Any idea how to make GPS nav work like you describe on a Lowrance Hook Reveal?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
only the cellular iPads have built-in GPS
Another reason why I avoid Apple.... CHECK (but you have to look at the android specs too - the Samsung S8 wifi has GPS - I just use navionics on my phone as a backup to my Garmin). Lots of people have had issues with tablets overheating in the sun (heck...phones do too!)

Yup....download the maps if you are going offshore.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have Navionics Maps - specifically
Navionics+ South

Any idea how to make GPS nav work like you describe on a Lowrance Hook Reveal?
You have the Maps, but I meant the App, Because they have their own navigation. I’m pretty sure when you have a Navionics maps loaded into something like that, you’re really just using the maps, the navigation is done by your chartplotter

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Another reason why I avoid Apple.... CHECK (but you have to look at the android specs too - the Samsung S8 wifi has GPS - I just use navionics on my phone as a backup to my Garmin). Lots of people have had issues with tablets overheating in the sun (heck...phones do too!)

Yup....download the maps if you are going offshore.
Totally, you can find pretty decent android tablets for 200 bucks, far less than an iPad.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You have the Maps, but I meant the App, Because they have their own navigation. I’m pretty sure when you have a Navionics maps loaded into something like that, you’re really just using the maps, the navigation is done by your chartplotter
The unit came with the boat, but next time I buy one I will keep this in mind.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a Simrad Go7 (5 year old model at this point) and a Navionics card. Pick your starting point and destination, and you get dock to dock autorouting - works real nice.

1659539439288.png