• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Cable...Please Help!

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2013 AR190 (single engine) which we just put in the water in Destin for a few days. Within the first hour I sucked a rope up in the jet which had somehow first wrapped around the cable rod that controls the jet nozzle bucket.
Long story short, I can not push throttle lever forward at all due to the bent cable rod. I had to manually rig the bucket in the up position and use the throttle in reverse position to go forward enough to get us back to our rental slip.
We're only here till Sat and I don't want this to ruin everyone's trip. I believe the rig job is good enough to get us to grab island and back each day but not having reverse is no fun especially in the gulf current trying to dock.
Does anyone have any ideas? If I'm able to get my hands on a new cable is that something I could easily install without having to trailer the boat?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Yesterday was a long day but trying to save this trip for everyone...

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] I am activating the help feature to get you some immediate help to salvage your trip.

I am wondering if you can straighten it to get it to move or need to find a dealer to get the part and change it. Panama City is not far to the west of you. I don't know what Yamaha dealers are near, anybody? Will Owen at @JetBoatPilot may have good leads to direct you from Panama City. Lots of members in that area I am sure. I know what it is to have some help to save a vacation that has a hiccup. Just happened to me and the cost of recovery will be tremendous. Good luck, I'm following...

not sure how badly yours is bent, I sucked up a rope and bent a steering rod one time, used two pairs of vice clamps and metal bar to gently bend it back to straight,

rod fix 1.jpg

Yamaha dealer is across the bridge in Ft. Walton Beach

KM Cycle and Marine

Your boat would have to be on the trailer to change the cable.

I have not tried to change one on a 190 but based on my cable changing experience on my 230 I would guess that you could replace it in a few hours.

not sure how badly yours is bent, I sucked up a rope and bent a steering rod one time, used two pairs of vice clamps and metal bar to gently bend it back to straight,

View attachment 63979
The rod that's bent on mine is the one at the very top of your pic. The one running to the bucket itself. I might have called it wrong originally.

Yamaha dealer is across the bridge in Ft. Walton Beach

KM Cycle and Marine
Spoke to both PC and Ft Walton dealers. Part would have to be ordered. Going have to make due till Sat out here. Got the wife working my rope rig to lower the bucket when I need reverse. Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
Can you post a pic? May give other ideas?

Wow @Bruce . You are an animal when it comes to sourcing a part for our boats.

Hard to tell with the water glare but I'm pointing to the bend. Local west marine does have the 18ft control cable that was posted above. Can anyone confirm this is what I need for the 190?

Attachments

• 15054015129291992693911.jpg
    15054015129291992693911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
I don't know if the west marine cable will work or not,

Have tried to bend it back with a couple pairs of vice grips? I don't think you could damage it any worse if it's currently not working,

Hard to tell with the water glare but I'm pointing to the bend. Local west marine does have the 18ft control cable that was posted above. Can anyone confirm this is what I need for the 190?
If you unscrew that plastic white cover (bolt), might be able to do this with your hand, you can pull the cable out and get some slack. Then - like @Scottintexas said - I would try to straiten it, wrapped in towel if you do not have anythign else to work with. The chances are you may be able to free the cable, may not be super smooth but good enough to finish the weekend on the water.
You would need to get the boat up on the trailer to remove that plastic cover or you will get some water intrusion, albeit you will not swamp the boat if you work fast - it would also be a lot easier.

Yes, the Yamaha cables are made by Seastar / Teleflex. It is the same cable you would get at the dealer for a lower price.

I got to examine it more closely today in the shallow waters of crab island. Rod seems to be completely broke with the cable exposed, so bending back in place is not an option. We'll make due till Sat and I'll be purchasing the cable from west marine on the way out. Hope I'll be able to do the install myself but I'll figure that out next week.
Thanks to everyone who replied with advise. This forum was one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha and you always deliver. Cheers.

I got to examine it more closely today in the shallow waters of crab island. Rod seems to be completely broke with the cable exposed, so bending back in place is not an option. We'll make due till Sat and I'll be purchasing the cable from west marine on the way out. Hope I'll be able to do the install myself but I'll figure that out next week.
Thanks to everyone who replied with advise. This forum was one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha and you always deliver. Cheers.
If you can handle a wrench, you can replace this cable. It is easier with 2 people...but not impossible with one (I did it).

Dang sorry I missed this thread. Although I probably couldn't have done much more than was already done. Hope your stay wasn't ruined @jared24

Update: Installed the control cable yesterday. The West Marine link that @Bruce posted above was spot on. Cable was an exact match.

Install took around 2 hrs from start to finish. Mainly because that was the first time I dismantled the throttle casing before and I was learning as I went.

Dropped the boat in the lake and everything is running smooth. Actually think I have more of a "true neutral" than I did before. Prior to this, "neutral" always had a very slow reverse movement, but now it seems to stay more centered.

Good feeling when your boat is back normal. Even better feeling when you're able to do the work yourself. Thanks again for all the support!

glad to hear it was an easy replacement,

for others, you can adjust your "neutral" flow at your gate if you are experiencing more forward or reverse than you want.

Back