• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle stuck in reverse

Rogandanny

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone last evening we were out boating near a beach (Yamaha SX210) and hit a super shallow patch. Acting instinctively I jammed the boat into reverse and likely sucked up a good amount of sand/mud into the jets. The boat dislodged with a push, but both engines became stuck in reverse. Can’t get them into neutral or forward gear. Now we’re stuck with a boat that can’t start due to not being able to put it into neutral. It seems like a mechanical problem, but can’t seem to figure out what it could be.

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey that happened to me yesterday when I went out also, we couldn’t get the starboard motor to get out of reverse. I turned both motors off and jumped in and just pulled up on the reverse gate until it broke free. Idk if a pebble was stuck in it or what, the waters are to dark to see where I’m at in Maryland but once it broke free it worked fine

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Agree with @Yamahaboat89 take a look at the gate and make sure it hasn't jumped past the nozzle! Just reset!

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had this happen backing off the beach. I always have success killing the motors, moving to the swim deck, reaching down to the bucket that is stuck and manually jiggle up and down a bit. You can tell when the obstruction let’s loose.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very common. A little pebble or rock in the side of the reverse gate will jam it. Usually a wiggle sets it free. But don't force it from the throttle side--you'll break the cable. Grab the bucket and shake it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jet Boat Okie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very common. A little pebble or rock in the side of the reverse gate will jam it. Usually a wiggle sets it free. But don't force it from the throttle side--you'll break the cable. Grab the bucket and shake it.
Thanks for this post, I had a pebble stuck in mine this weekend and a good hard yank helped it fall out. This saved the day...

I’ll learn how that cable is reset, because I’m sure this will happen again at some point.

ScottandMP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Hi everyone last evening we were out boating near a beach (Yamaha SX210) and hit a super shallow patch. Acting instinctively I jammed the boat into reverse and likely sucked up a good amount of sand/mud into the jets. The boat dislodged with a push, but both engines became stuck in reverse. Can’t get them into neutral or forward gear. Now we’re stuck with a boat that can’t start due to not being able to put it into neutral. It seems like a mechanical problem, but can’t seem to figure out what it could be.

ScottandMP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
We are launching our boat for the maiden voyage. Can’t get out of reverse. Pulling back out
Thank god for this forum! Checking things now.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are launching our boat for the maiden voyage. Can’t get out of reverse. Pulling back out
Thank god for this forum! Checking things now.
Most likely a pebble or stick lodged between the gates keeping it from moving. Keep us posted.

BRØSTERGUY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hit this just now on my AR250, in probably 2 feet of water—so super shallow. Was pulling close to the dock (lake level is super low), throttling forward and back, forward and back, until the gears got stuck in reverse. I immediately cut the engine off, and that was the end of it until this very post.

With the boat on the lift, I laid down on the back of the boat, and freed the pebbles by moving the gates up and down. It rained pebbles from both gates. With the pebbles gone, I was able to move the gears back to neutral, and turn the engine on.

Good luck to the next person that gets tiny rocks/pebbles stuck!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This seems to be occurring more often and looking into the new jet pump design it makes sense. The newer boats have a wider jet nozzle at the bottom compared to the round older shape. This leaves more area for pebbles to hang up, hit reverse in shallow water you blow all the pebbles and debri up and the jet pump sucks them up they go though the pump hit the gate and get wedged in that nice wide area not allowing the boat to shift. Pull real hard and you will snap the cable the E series senses that the tension is high then throws a code and will not shift.

Was pulling close to the dock (lake level is super low), throttling forward and back, forward and back, until the gears got stuck in reverse
Shallow water and reverse = problems

Copy of Friday, June 07, 2024 (3).jpg