• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throwback - Glastron Carlson CVX-20

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Showing my age here...

My purchase of a Yamaha jetboat in 2012 was the family's official step into the world of jet boating. My wife, kids (ages 21, 24, and 31) and I have all become huge fans.

However, this was not my first jet boat experience....

Back in the late 70's an older friend at the lake purchased a new, metal flake blue, Glastron Carlson CVX-20. This boat had luxury, style like no other boat at the time, and the power of a Lincoln 460 cubic inch engine mated to a Berkely jet. The boat topped out at 68 mph, had a killer hole shot, and handled like a new yammie as long as there was power applied. I have some exciting memories riding and occasionally driving this beast.

Anyone else experience a CVX-20 back in the day?77gl-carlson-cvx20.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
68 MPH....

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
It was a long time ago... Thinking about it some more... I am 100% sure the top speed was well into the 60's but I'm afraid I cannot guarantee the 68 mph. The boat looked like it was doing 70 when it was standing still. :winkingthumbsup"

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Dad has owned Glastron's exclusively since I was born, I remember being at Lake Havasu in my early days and my Dad was drooling over a Glastron Carlson, they were awesome looking boats back in the day.
I drooled over them too! After seeing them in the James Bond flicks, my buddy just had to have one. We found one that was in dire need of repair, fixed it then took it out and sunk it!

Vic-Armstrong-ArmstrongAction_com-iStunt_com-Stunt-Directory-Second-Unit-Director-Director-45.jpg

I loved the metalflake paint jobs - too cool!

Jetboatperformance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
we have personally owned and restored several of the Glastron CVX 20s Currently working on one were using a for R&D on a new impeller were developing The Glastron in our shop is an one owner barn stored 78 100 % original will post some pics when time permits Tom

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have a 16ft. 1989 Glastron-Carlson with a 120hp outboard on it an it made my Yamaha AR192 look slow on the water. The speedometer doesn't work on it, but I bet she will do close to 60. A blast of a boat to drive.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@surfer212, have you ever seen one of these? It's a Glastron Carlson Scimitar. I have never seen one in person, but I would love to own one.
82gl-scimitar-pic_1_.jpg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No I haven't. It looks like it should be fired out of a gun. Not that there is anything wrong with the current boats, but Glastron really used to make some sexy boats.

pineymike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have one now, in derelict condition. I seen them back wen at the glastron plant in Tex,always wanted one dreamin' about this one but it's a long way out 1st thing is the title?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I drooled over them too! After seeing them in the James Bond flicks, my buddy just had to have one. We found one that was in dire need of repair, fixed it then took it out and sunk it!

View attachment 5203

I loved the metalflake paint jobs - too cool!
How did you sink it? That sucks!