• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tire Rack - Thoughts & Opinions

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's time to replace the tires on my truck, which got me thinking, I've never really liked the stock wheels that the Sierra came with, so maybe I'll get new wheels and tires at the same time.

Has anyone used Tire Rack to have tires/wheels shipped to your house to install them yourself? Good prices, service, etc?

Their website makes it sound pretty easy if you have them mount, balance and install new TPMS sensors, which I believe you have to reconnect to the truck, kind of like repairing a Bluetooth device.

I have a 3 ton jack and a torque wrench, so I should be good if I decide to do this.

Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great service, good enough price. Easy button for sure.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I have purchased wheels and/or tires from them in the past, they are a great company.

The last few times I have purchased tires and/or wheels it's been cheaper to buy from a local shop

Customer reviews are pretty worthless... However tire racks reviews are worth watching/reading

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used tread depot as well and had good results also. I have heard a few balance issues though when they come premounted. Mine where off from tread depot and a few friends were off from tire rack. A local dealer usually includes free mount balance and lifetime rotation.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have purchased tires from Tirerack and Tread Depot. Both were great to deal with. I have always had them mounted and balanced locally so I have no experience with that end of the deal.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be careful with TPMS Sensors, years ago I bought a SR5 Tundra that had steel wheels, I bought some nice Aluminum Toyota Wheels that a guy took off his Tundra. The TPMS Sensors from Steel to Aluminum did not work, cost me a boat load of money to buy all new ones. Not sure if this pertains to just Toyota's or all vehicles.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So it may ve better to have the wheels and tires shipped to my local tire place so that they can balance them there.

Good info...thanks

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it may ve better to have the wheels and tires shipped to my local tire place so that they can balance them there.

Good info...thanks
I normally shop online for the best price, then go to my local Discount Tire and they price match.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wouldn't hurt to have them quote all together at dealer. I put Toyo AT2 on my truck local dealer came almost 100 under online plus lifetime rotate and balance and tire repair

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wouldn't hurt to have them quote all together at dealer. I put Toyo AT2 on my truck local dealer came almost 100 under online plus lifetime rotate and balance and tire repair
And Toyo AT2 are awesome tires!!!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They will go on my new truck when my tread wears down or I level truck.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They will go on my new truck when my tread wears down or I level truck.
I plan to do the same on my new Duramax.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CustomOffsets.com

I got wheels and tires for the wifes Burb and they were much cheaper than most sites.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I like the Toyo AT2's . gonna have to look into them more......thx

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20160327_122512.jpg

Rims and tires for about $1800. That included the TPMS and shipping. The actually look much better in person.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Tire rack isn't known to be the cheapest (like crutchfield for audio stuff), they are known for excellent customer service and a wealth of info on their website.

I prefer buying local when I can so if the wheels aren't balanced properly or there is a defect I just go to wherever I purchased them. Last set of wheels/tires for my Saab it was almost $200 cheaper buying local vs tire rack. I forget if I purchased them at discount tire or tire discounters. One was $200 is cheaper and the other was $600 more :)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the tire rack feature of being able to see your wheels on your make/model and color. Now I'm trying to figure out what looks nice in a 2014 Ram1500 granite crystal!!!!!

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well it turns out there's a truck customization shop in the next town over from me. I ordered the Toyo AT/II's with the KMC Monster II's for the same price as online and I don't have to lift a finger to put them on. Should have them on next week. Thanks @2nazt and @AZDANSX230HO for the recommendation on the tires.

upload_2016-8-6_13-48-26.png