• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To Lift Or Not To Lift

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Currently have my boat in a wet slip and eager to get it up a lift. Ive been presented with the opportunity to get a covered lift now instead of next season. Will cost me 400 more for this season (1800 for the season). In central Ohio, we're late September for getting into the water, maybe 1-2 boat only trips in October. My real question is about storing. My marina has 120 covered lifts and about 100 boats are left there over the winter. Does anyone else store it on a lift for the winter? $400 is just a tad more than I'd like to spend for another 6, maybe 8 weeks of storage, but if it saves me 300 on winter storage, its a wash.

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I store on a lift during the winter. As a matter of fact, my boat hasn't been off the lake on the trailer in over 3 years. But we are in GA/SC so our winters are a bit milder. We've had zero issues at all with doing this. I like having access to the boat when I want so I'm a big fan of the covered lifts.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have stored my boat on a lift in a covered slip all year since 2010. Never had a problem.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1 from GA, 1 from TX, both zone 2/3 climates. Any zone 5s out there?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
im in a similar cimate as you, I'll have to check to see if anyone stores on a lift. Last year I shrink wrapped and stored outside, this year I am storing in a steel building, no heat. I wet slip mine as well....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Climate aside, it would be no different than storing the boat outside, for example in a covered stall.

EDIT: If you plan on keeping this boat for a long time, wet slipping is not ideal for any amount of time.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wet slip was my only option, its coming out regardless, just curious about lift storage. Sounds like storing it on a covered lift is a valid option, appreciate the replies.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nick Hughes, my two cents: depends on what "covered" means - is it's condition safe for snow loads, wind, etc. (I've seen some around here with a crappy aluminum cover that would probably blow away if the wind picked up), and I would probably still want the boat fully covered if not shrink wrapped... As far as the boat is concerned, I don't think it knows the difference between trailer bunks and lift bunks!:D

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its a nice cover, in fact you have to put the tower down to get it full up into the rafters.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its a nice cover, in fact you have to put the tower down to get it full up into the rafters.
I would consider buying a custom boat cover that goes over the tower once it's folded down. Between birds and spider webs it worth every penny!

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I store our boat all winter on out lift with no problems in northern MO. I am getting ready to purchase this custom cover that will go around the entire boat including the tower so everything is protected. One of my buddies has one for his and loves it. Only takes about min to cover or uncover his 30' sea ray. The picture is from the manufacture site. Could find a picture of his on phone. Nice thing is in summer I can leave wake boards and surf boards in the rack and just swivel them in and cover.image.jpeg

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@captainhook here is the link to their site

http://www.worldsbestboatcover.com/MarineConcepts2/

It's not cheap at around 167.00 a foot but well worth keeping the boat clean from spiders and anything else as it seals up better than the factory cover since it made just for your boat. Plus it covers more of the side of the boat to keep it from fading.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@captainhook here is the link to their site

http://www.worldsbestboatcover.com/MarineConcepts2/

It's not cheap at around 167.00 a foot but well worth keeping the boat clean from spiders and anything else as it seals up better than the factory cover since it made just for your boat. Plus it covers more of the side of the boat to keep it from fading.
Wow that's insane. $167/ft? If so that makes a cover for mine nearly $4,000. And here I thought the Yamaha covers were expensive...

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@captainhook yes it's is crazy and I think my quote was around 4100 with a few extra options! Really surprised the wife said yes! Think she's tired of spider webs on tower and cleaning spider poop off of the tower and Bimini top. Luckily we can still leave Bimini top up under cover as I hate taking it down!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pretty sure the Amish guys make custom covers around my lake out of canvas for less than the premium deluxe I just bought. Once that dies (hopefully never), I would get a custom full boat/tower cover made.