• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tool for removing sticks

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had a bit of free time today, and took the opportunity to design and build a debris removing tool; focusing on sticks and chunks of wood. This is the biggest issue where I boat. I’ve built and tried a few designs that I’ve found on the interweb, but none work well on sticks. The designs I’ve found tend to chip little bits of wood off, and I don’t have the patience for that. Sticks and wood bits tend to get really stuck and the impellers can slice into them, holding them like no other. I came up with a double hook design, that goes on both sides of the impeller. This way I can pry the wood out more effectively. I put a universal joint on the shaft so that I could twist it well from outside the intake grate. This will work in most positions around the impeller. I can get very good leverage, and this thing is pretty solid.
Don’t judge my welding...I prefer working with stainless. This is made with carbon steel, which tends to be a bit lumpier with TIG welding.
I haven’t tested it with jammed wood yet, but I believe it will work well. I will zip-tie a waterproof wifi endoscope/inspection camera with LED light so that I can see what I’m doing.
4471A47E-30FC-45C8-85F3-BE916C7376D8.jpeg0EABEF98-CCC0-4517-A411-E762E4265E95.jpegA3289BA0-A775-4326-A4D6-F22BF867802C.jpeg135773B5-1BBC-4FC4-A062-06447C9775CC.jpeg7B953C30-3951-4829-AA6C-43DF1D52F236.jpeg
I can reach the intake grates from the side of the boat on the water. I don’t want to have to put-put back to the marina again because of a stupid stick.
I’ll post a pic tomorrow of how it looks through the intake grate.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
As promised, a picture inside the intake. Turns out it’s a difficult area to get a good picture. You can see the hook or finger on this side of the impeller blade. There is one on the other side as well. Turn the handle clockwise and wood will (should) pop out. 7EAF9026-1C44-4F5D-BDD3-77692ECB1272.jpeg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's a pretty cool design. Paint it Yamaha Blue and sell them for $99!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As promised, a picture inside the intake. Turns out it’s a difficult area to get a good picture. You can see the hook or finger on this side of the impeller blade. There is one on the other side as well. Turn the handle clockwise and wood will (should) pop out. View attachment 125586
Very cool idea! My only thought is it might need wider handles so you can get enough leverage on the damn stick....but I suppose you could slide on extra length on those handles in a pinch. Be sure to post your results!

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As promised, a picture inside the intake. Turns out it’s a difficult area to get a good picture. You can see the hook or finger on this side of the impeller blade. There is one on the other side as well. Turn the handle clockwise and wood will (should) pop out. View attachment 125586
Love this I have to get one of these made could you sent me the actual lengths that you have tested that would work Im tried of pulling my boat out the water

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the name of the part you have attached at the end to pull the objects out with ?

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What is the name of the part you have attached at the end to pull the objects out with ?
There’s no name, it’s just a couple of hooks welded together. Fortunately I haven’t had to use that tool in a while. There’s an easier tool to make that is a bit less clumsy and nearly as effective. I’ll post pics and dimensions either later today or tomorrow.

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you so much you give hope in turning this boat to a pleasure your time spent for posting this info is definitely appreciated

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got down to the marina today and took some pics and measurements. This tool was inspired by 3feetdeep YouTube video.
I used 5/16” stainless steel rod. May be able to go a bit larger diameter, but this works well for me. I bent the rod at around a 65 degree angle (not important to be very precise), and used an angle grinder to cut a backward-facing tooth at the tip. This tooth should be pretty sharp. It grabs the obstruction and pops it off the impeller when twisted. This tool has worked on plastic and wood pieces very well.
overall length of the rod is 25”, but like the angle, not super critical to be exact. I would not go much shorter though.
Hopefully this helps. There is not much crappier than a boating day cut short by an impeller obstruction.

Attachments

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got down to the marina today and took some pics and measurements. This tool was inspired by 3feetdeep YouTube video.
I used 5/16” stainless steel rod. May be able to go a bit larger diameter, but this works well for me. I bent the rod at around a 65 degree angle (not important to be very precise), and used an angle grinder to cut a backward-facing tooth at the tip. This tooth should be pretty sharp. It grabs the obstruction and pops it off the impeller when twisted. This tool has worked on plastic and wood pieces very well.
overall length of the rod is 25”, but like the angle, not super critical to be exact. I would not go much shorter though.
Hopefully this helps. There is not much crappier than a boating day cut short by an impeller obstruction.
Anything yet

[/QUOTE

I would love to see this thing in action