• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top End speed loss with fins

@JimG, I think your speed is low. I have an AR210 that gets to 47mph. Your 212x should be in the mid 50s assuming a similar boating environment.

I have a '12 212x and can only get about 52 max at 7500 max RPMs on a calm day. Temperature definitely affects my top speed but have only seen a peak of about 52 max with a water temp of 72F. On a day when the water was about 85 I couldn't get above 48. Both times it was calm, about a half of tank of fuel and just myself in the boat. I'm at an elevation of 800ft and also have the cobra fins but also would be surprised if it affected my top speed. I just bought the boat in June and plan to try some more this fall to see if it increases with lower temps. My VXR on the same cool day we were hitting 70 :)

There are soooo many variables regarding top speed. Everything makes a difference. For example - I'm at 450' elevation - early spring, no humidity, Bimini closed, no boards in the racks, water temps in the mid 50's, 1/2 tank of fuel, 2 adults, glass waters - I'll hit 55-58 every time. My best (GPS verified) was 58 - with a STRONG wind at our backs.
Now - Bimini open, racks loaded, air temps in the high 80's, water temp 85, 1/2 tank, 4 adults - 48 is tops. Closed Bimini - I'll hit 50.

That said - speed is irrelevant. I cranked it up this past Sunday, and my son asked me "daddy - whats your hurry, why are we going so fast", followed by a stern look from the wife and daughter. :( They were right.

the the ultimates in the down position, bimini open and full racks i hit just over 51 on calm water yesterday.....

That said - speed is irrelevant. I cranked it up this past Sunday, and my son asked me "daddy - whats your hurry, why are we going so fast", followed by a stern look from the wife and daughter. :( They were right.

What?!? Oh, no. Sounds like it is time for you to go out on the boat with just your son and teach him a few things. :) Certainly by the time he his teen years, he should never be asking why one is going so fast.

@JimG, I think your speed is low. I have an AR210 that gets to 47mph. Your 212x should be in the mid 50s assuming a similar boating environment.
I think you are correct. In all fairness, I have been running with the Bimini open, a full gas tank, and with 3 or 4 people minimum. I need to try again with less weight and the Bimini closed.

With the bimini open, full tank of gas and 4 people aboard I typically get about 42mph at 250' elevation.

With the bimini open, full tank of gas and 4 people aboard I typically get about 42mph at 250' elevation.
I beat that, and I'm at 1200' elevation. Not sure how much difference 1000 ft makes.

i've had both the thrust vector xl and the cobra ulimates on my 212x. i didn't ever see any difference of losing speed at the top end. i run the ultimates in the down position all the time and like the tracking better for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

I haven't seen any difference in speed with the Cobra Ultimate fins. I had the old Cobra fins and the results are the same. I know my boat is a little different but I almost always hit 48 with 4 people. When the conditions are better we hit over 50. This is all from the boat gauges only.

Back