• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Top speed and planing issues on my 2017 FSH 190

Jayybird76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I can’t seem to get over 35 mph out of my FSH 190 with only 2 adults 3/4 tank of gas and nothing in the coolers and that’s on glass with really no wind. I have 4 batteries on the boat and a Terrova trolling motor so I know I’m a little heavier than most boats but I still think I should be able to get close to 40 mph. This weekend I had 4 adults and 2 children and almost couldn’t get up on plane and then could only run 25 wide open. I just changed the plugs last week I removed the ribbon from the throttle body I did check the wear ring as best I could without taking it apart I do see some scaring on the wear ring but the impeller looks fine. Also not sure if it matters but the boat only has 55hrs on it so it’s almost new. Any ideas on what else to look for would be appreciated.

190's are gutless but what RPM's are you getting at full throttle?

7800 rpm’s at full throttle.

could be wear ring or impeller damage. What altitude do you boat?

I’m in Charleston,SC AKA the low country so sea level. Lol

I’m in Charleston,SC AKA the low country so sea level. Lol
I looked at the impeller with a flashlight and I it seems fine the wear ring has scuff marks on it I assume that’s normal?

RPM's are where they should be for full throttle at sea level, it sounds like heavy boat causing, you can try to move some weight to the rear which may help if your 4 batteries are in the bow.

I'm not sure what is normal for that boat, with only 55hrs i would be suspecting something. Especially if you have a track record of better performance when the boat was newer. Here is a thread you may have already seen, but gives some realistic insight to what that boat should do.
The boat is new to me only had it about a month so I’m not sure what’s normal I’ve just seen reviews saying 42-45 mph so I’m thinking I should at least get high 30’s even with the extra weight. 2 batteries are in the the front and 2 are in the back.

Is there any performance upgrades I can do without hurting the reliability?

Are you wet slipping? Dirty boat bottom causes alot of drag.

Check the gap between the impeller and the wear ring… if you can get a credit card in there that’s too much gap.

Is there any performance upgrades I can do without hurting the reliability?
Ribbon Delete (remove the spark arrestor). Several threads on here about how to do it, and what the risks are.
Clean the air filter.
Make sure oil isn't overfilled.
L13 Cone can help with pump efficiency.
Seal the intake tunnel (same reason)

All of those won't really help performance from a top speed standpoint, however they will help your boat be more consistent across different loading conditions. The only real way to get better performance is to repitch the impeller and get MapTunerX to reflash the ECU's and increase rev limit. @swatski did a TON of research on this in his SX190. Managed to get near 50mph with the bimini stowed and just him in the boat. He found that the stock impeller was the best all around solution, and that the added revs and timing of the MapTuner helped pick up a few mph in normal conditions. He was still only in the mid 40's if I remember right.

L13 Cone and tunnel sealing will get rid of cavitation (if you have any). You'll know right away if you do. From a dead stop if you go WOT quickly, do you hit the rev limiter? If so, you need to seal the tunnel and consider an upgraded pump cone. If not, that isn't your issue.

IMO 42-45mph in a FSH190 is an aggressive expectation from a stock boat. I've got a shade over 240hrs on my AR190 and have only seen 42 a handful of times in the last 7 seasons. More often I'm closer to 39-40mph at WOT, and usually cruise in the 30mph range around 7k rpm. Thread linked above seems to support that. Keep in mind heat and humidity kill the air quality for a normally aspirated engine. Goes double for one locked in a fiberglass box. I see consistently faster speeds and noticeably more power in the spring and fall. It was noticeably down on power when we were in Destin 2 summers ago. Was 95 deg and about 700% humidity while we were out. Came home the next weekend and took it out in 75deg overcast weather and got 2mph more from it.

Bow weight will absolutely KILL the speed on a 190. The trolling motor on the front, and the batteries up front are killing your speed in general. I can drop 4-5mph by moving 2 adults to the bow from the stern and changing nothing else. The boat isn't long enough or heavy enough to keep the jet angle pointed in line with the direction of travel when the bow gets heavy. Trim would be nice in this instance, but the already somewhat weak nature of the engine/pump combo might waste more energy in redirecting the thrust than the benefit of using it would yield. Not sure anyone has tested that though.

Check your revs. If the needle says 7,800, you're likely getting closer to 7,600 or so. Tach needle on mine doesn't match the digital output, not a big deal, but something to be aware of. I think the rev limiter is 7,750 but I'm fuzzy on that detail.

Had 3 adults and 4 kids in our '17 AR190 on Sunday. We got a top speed of 38mph @ 7,550 rpm. Fastest I've ever seen this boat is 42mph on a cool fall morning at near sea level, and I've owned it since new.

Are you wet slipping? Dirty boat bottom causes alot of drag.
Boat is trailered now. The guy before me had a lift on his dock. I am the third owner so I’m not sure about the first owner but from the looks of the bottom of the boat I’d say dry stacked or trailered as the hull is almost perfect I’ve actually put the only scratches on it. Lol

Ribbon Delete (remove the spark arrestor). Several threads on here about how to do it, and what the risks are.
Clean the air filter.
Make sure oil isn't overfilled.
L13 Cone can help with pump efficiency.
Seal the intake tunnel (same reason)

All of those won't really help performance from a top speed standpoint, however they will help your boat be more consistent across different loading conditions. The only real way to get better performance is to repitch the impeller and get MapTunerX to reflash the ECU's and increase rev limit. @swatski did a TON of research on this in his SX190. Managed to get near 50mph with the bimini stowed and just him in the boat. He found that the stock impeller was the best all around solution, and that the added revs and timing of the MapTuner helped pick up a few mph in normal conditions. He was still only in the mid 40's if I remember right.

L13 Cone and tunnel sealing will get rid of cavitation (if you have any). You'll know right away if you do. From a dead stop if you go WOT quickly, do you hit the rev limiter? If so, you need to seal the tunnel and consider an upgraded pump cone. If not, that isn't your issue.

IMO 42-45mph in a FSH190 is an aggressive expectation from a stock boat. I've got a shade over 240hrs on my AR190 and have only seen 42 a handful of times in the last 7 seasons. More often I'm closer to 39-40mph at WOT, and usually cruise in the 30mph range around 7k rpm. Thread linked above seems to support that. Keep in mind heat and humidity kill the air quality for a normally aspirated engine. Goes double for one locked in a fiberglass box. I see consistently faster speeds and noticeably more power in the spring and fall. It was noticeably down on power when we were in Destin 2 summers ago. Was 95 deg and about 700% humidity while we were out. Came home the next weekend and took it out in 75deg overcast weather and got 2mph more from it.

Bow weight will absolutely KILL the speed on a 190. The trolling motor on the front, and the batteries up front are killing your speed in general. I can drop 4-5mph by moving 2 adults to the bow from the stern and changing nothing else. The boat isn't long enough or heavy enough to keep the jet angle pointed in line with the direction of travel when the bow gets heavy. Trim would be nice in this instance, but the already somewhat weak nature of the engine/pump combo might waste more energy in redirecting the thrust than the benefit of using it would yield. Not sure anyone has tested that though.

Check your revs. If the needle says 7,800, you're likely getting closer to 7,600 or so. Tach needle on mine doesn't match the digital output, not a big deal, but something to be aware of. I think the rev limiter is 7,750 but I'm fuzzy on that detail.

Had 3 adults and 4 kids in our '17 AR190 on Sunday. We got a top speed of 38mph @ 7,550 rpm. Fastest I've ever seen this boat is 42mph on a cool fall morning at near sea level, and I've owned it since new.
I figured the bow weight would affect it I’m thinking about going with Lithium batteries in the front to lighten it up and maybe take the trolling motor off when I’m not fishing. Thanks for all the input all things I’ll consider as I’ve never gotten the boat over 35 mph. I wish they made a super charger kit for this motor cause I’d assume it the exact same motor they have in the newer model Yamahas.

I figured the bow weight would affect it I’m thinking about going with Lithium batteries in the front to lighten it up and maybe take the trolling motor off when I’m not fishing. Thanks for all the input all things I’ll consider as I’ve never gotten the boat over 35 mph. I wish they made a super charger kit for this motor cause I’d assume it the exact same motor they have in the newer model Yamahas.
Drop the trolling motor and batteries off the front and you'll likely pickup a few mph at least. LiFe04 batteries show promise for helping with that, but they're expensive as dammit. Much like anything else, it's going to come down to how much you want to pay to go a few mph faster.

I think it's the same motor as well. You can even look at the front where the supercharger would bolt onto the block, and there's a simple block off plate there. So, we know the block is the same. Now if the pistons/rods/crank/heads are the same is a fine question. I haven't gone parts hunting to check and see.

If you really want to go down that path I would suggest reaching out to the MapTunerX team and talking with them. While they might not be the ones building the motors, they offer the software to tune them. You don't see much of that in the boat crowd, but the guys that like to build ski's are likely all over that.

Keep in mind the 195's have a 160mm pump, and the 190's only have a 155mm pump. There is the additional challenge of putting the power into the water once you make more power. The smaller pump will likely limit your effectiveness there at some level, and you'll want to talk to the people at Impros to see what kind of limitations exist around the smaller pump.

i have a 190 FSH Sport, i only gone to 40mph once when it was new and I was by myself no added accessories glassy condition (cold winter FL air), Now that I added trolling motor 2 lifepo battery, radio, spreader light etc etc and my top speed is about 35 to 37 depending on condition, winter is faster due to denser air.

Back