• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Total newbie here looking to buy a 2015 Yamaha SX210 and need some help/opinions!! HELP!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Total Newbie here and Hoping you guys can help me out!

Never been a boater, but my wife and I really like the idea of the Jet Boat for the safety for our daughter and her friends. We are the type of people who will do casual boating, out to dinners around the corner from our house (our house is on the water) and will take casual boat rides with family and friends with some tubing for the kids and maybe an occasional skier. This boat will be used alot for for just relaxing/slow cruising with our little one and her friends than trying to haul butt and testing out top speeds, crazy turns, etc.

We went to a dealer today and they took us on the water in a Yamaha 19 foot jet boat and then a 21 foot jet boat back to back (they didn't have any 21 footers we could test ready to be dropped in the water).

We loved the idea of the 19 footers Price (who wouldn't for 30k for a new boat). But after riding in one and some heavy chop and the bumpiness of the ride, we quickly ruled it out, especially after riding in the 24 footer behind it and what a difference for quietness, smoothness of ride, way more room to stretch out, etc.

So we ruled out the 19 footers completely, and originally wanted to stay under 40k. They happen to have a 2015 leftover SX210 Yamaha and we liked the looks of it and the price point is right where we wanted to be. Base price on it is 39,349 and destination charge of 1,860 and also dealer prep of 495.00 for a grand total of 41,704. They said they were having a memorial day weekend sale and would do this boat for us for 39k. I then asked if they could do any better and I got them down to 37,500. It's a brand new boat and not used. One big bummer is it has a small ding and scratch on the side of the boat that they said they could try to fix, address before we buy it but not sure there is much they can do (not crazy big maybe 1-2 inches)

Here's where we are at the moment. They will put it in the water for us next week so we can test out a 21 footer and compare it to the smoothness of the 24 footer that we loved when we were on the water today. The problem with the 24 footers is there are none leftover here from last year and the new ones are above 55k. It just seems like to us the 21 footer for 20k less will make the best sense for us being new boat owners. We don't want to get something and feel like we wished we had spent a little more and got something night and day better. We know 100% that the 21 footer is worth the extra 8k or so over the 19 footer. We just don't know quite yet if the 24 footer is worth 20k more over the 21 footer.

I'm thinking this 21 footer won't be as quiet or smooth as the 24 footer as it weighs less and does not have the sound dampening stuff all in the boat like the 24 footers have (but I'm really hoping my thoughts are wrong and we love the 21 footer smoothness and hoping it's quieter than the 19 footer)

I would love to hear any opinions any of you can share about any of this. If you feel like the boat we are looking at is a really good price (steal) at 37,500 or not really and I should try to talk them down more. If you have experience with the particular SX210 model good or bad would love to hear feedback.

It does not have the articulating Keel, but they said truthfully it's not needed when you have 2 engines like the SX210 has that you can get the boat to do everything you want it to do with the 2 engines. It may help a little but it's not a necessity by any means they made it sound.

They have something they said we should do for $125 extra which gets the boat water ready at the point of sale. I think they said an anchor and a few other things or something like that. Not sure what all was included with this, but maybe it's just something for them to make a few more bucks on??

We both like the look of the Towers on the top alot, but this one does not have the tower just the bimini. My wife and I think we probably would keep the bimini down most of the time as we both like to get sun while out on the boat, but the bimini will be nice to pop up if going for a cruise with family or friends and it's hot and a little shade is needed. We both like the look of the tower setup that are on a lot of the new models, but again not worth a crazy price jump in our minds. The tower seems like it would be much harder to deal with putting down and and dealing with than the bimini which may be a plus for this 21 footer we are looking at.

The SX210 is on hold for us at the marina and we are setup to take a drive in it this week and if we like it we can proceed with the purchase at that point. They want us to drive this boat and be in a 21 footer on the water before fully commiting (which was nice of them) but we would have asked regardless. It's just to big of a decision without driving in them first. It's how we found out today (very quickly) that the 19 footer was definitely too small/cramped in the cabin feeling and too rough of a ride for us. There will be 4 adults and 3 kids riding in the boat the majority of the time. I want it to be a smoother ride for the smaller kids riding and that's why the 19 footer was ruled out quickly). I'm not bashing the 19 footers if you have one and love it, that's cool, it's just not for us.

I hope the 21 footer rides a lot like the 24 footer and not like the 19 footer. It weights in between the 19 and 24 so I'm guessing it has to be a better ride than the 19 just based alone on the weight gain and the fact that it has 2 engines is a huge plus also. For the 8k or so it seems like a no brainer to go up to the 21 from the 19 as far as price is concerned (but after riding in the 19 regardless of the price difference the 19 would have never been in the running). At this point its 21 or 24 but we REALLY like the price of the 21 with this special we would be getting on this 2015 one alot more than the cost of a new 2016 24 footer which would be closer to 55k and they can go much higher than that. We like the idea of buying new for warranty and just knowing we are the first owners. I feel like we are getting a new boat for the price of it being used at this discount (but maybe not? I'm not really sure). I wish it didn't have the little ding and scratch on the side but sometimes it is what it is. It's nothing too crazy at all, but it's there and I will see it everytime I look at the boat lol. But maybe this week they will have someone that can fix/repair it professionally as they said they would try.

We absolutely love the look of Yamaha and we happen to have a place right by our house that sells them so it works out well. We have looked at Chaparral and other brands but we always come back to the Yamaha and we both agree Yamaha is the brand for us.

Not sure if it matters but most of our boating will be on the Ocean, not on a Lake.

It seems to me based on what I see at places we go look at boats for what they carry in stock and also what a lot of people have on here is mostly 19's and 24's and not very many 21's. Not really sure for the reason of this. They said today at the dealership there are normally people looking for the cheaper budget pricing of the 19 footer for around 30k or they just want have a person that wants to go all out and doesn't mind spending 55k on a 24 footer. I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like there would be more people like myself who would want to be in the middle and happier at 37-40k than dropping another 20k for the jump to the 24 footer.

Would love to hear lots of thoughts and opinions and I appreciate all the help you guys and gals can give me in advance.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend!

Last edited:
Buy your next boat first! Hear it all the time. You can't go wrong with bigger, you'll always find a need for more space if you have it, and being on the water, youll have plenty of passengers on your boat. For me that's what it's all about. Family and friends enjoying it with me. With 4 adults and 3 kids, a 21' will start getting crowded, especially as the kids grow and want to bring friends. Of course you have $$$ to consider.

21' will ride much better than the 19', but not as well as the 24'. Especially in the ocean, you'll notice the size difference once it gets a little more choppy.

The articulating keel is a big bonus, particularly at slower speeds, it'll help keep the boat from wandering side to side as our boats tend to do, twin engines do nothing to prevent that. However, with a little practice, you'll be able to counter steer before your boat starts to wander and help keep it tracking straight without the articulating keel. If you don't get the articulating keel, you can always add fins to your jets to help with low speed steering as well. It was the only option before Yamaha added the articulating keel.

As far as the scratch goes, if it's a new boat, it should be perfect! No excuses. Like you said, you'll see it every time you look at your boat. You will put your own nicks and scratches on it, don't let them off the hook unless they give you a hefty discount specifically for the scratch. They should be able to make it perfect.

No matter what you choose, be prepared to spend a lot of time on this forum, probably want to open a separate bank account for boat mods, and prepare the family for the hours and hours they'll be without you as your time will be spent browsing the forums and making the "absolutely necessary " mods to your new boat.

Whatever you decide, be sure to let us know and post pics!

Thanks for the comment. Hoping a lot of others chime in also and specifically on if this one is a good deal or not.

Welcome Aboard!

The forum is slow this weekend as most of us are on the water.

The SX210 has twin engines. Compare me to the 190 I would say that justifies the price difference on its own. The dealership should be able to repair the damage perfectly. I would insist on it. Did you know the 210 models are discontinued? It is also important to note that they have less powerful engines.

Have you considered a well cared for and likely upgraded used Yamaha? You could likely find a very nice 2010 to 2014 240 or 242 for the same cost as the SX210. Or a 230 / 232 HO for less than the 190. They would not have sound deadening but have the rest of the benefits of the larger hull and upgraded engines.

Many of us install aftermarket fins on our boats that provide similar improvements to the keel. Some even install fins on 2015+ 240s to improve on the keel.

Bruce beat me to it. Used Yamaha's are very reliable and typically won't encounter any major issues with the engines or jet drives. The only possible exception would be the 2010 24' models.
Please note that you cannot keep a Yamaha in salt water for extended periods of time so plan on lifting it or trailering.

There is a link at the bottom of the general section of the FAQ to both NADA and dealer invoices for these boats....should help with your pricing questions some.

19 is easy to deal with outside of the water. That is where I'd really have preferred the 19. The 24 (which is what I have) is awesome in the water but a bear for me to deal with at my house. The 24 is pretty quiet at cruise which is mostly what I do (22-30mph). If your looking for a 15mph slow cruise, these boats don't do that very efficiently. Trim tabs could help that though by bringing the nose down instead of plowing. The boat runs flawlessly.

Thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated and feel free to keep the opinions coming

What are the biggest reasons no one stocks or buys many 21' boats?

Around here, KY. I see more 21 than others. Maybe due to inland lakes that we don't have to deal with chop/ waves. Easier to trailer to the lake.

Welcome to the board...tHere's a wealth of information here and help...

As someone said above, you may want to think about a used 21-24 footer. But your second boat first and you'll always use the extra room. One difference between th 21 and 24 footers is the closet...aka dry storage space that will get used.

Since you have kids, I'd seriously think about getting no tower model. Although you may not want it now, give it a year or two and the kids WILL want to try wakeboarding. When I bought our boat, I was indifferent on a tower model and now 4+ seasons later, we do more wakeboarding than most anything else on the boat. I'm so glad I got a tower model.

Look for more replies once people are off the water this weekend.

Have you considered a well cared for and likely upgraded used Yamaha? You could likely find a very nice 2010 to 2014 240 or 242 for the same cost as the SX210. Or a 230 / 232 HO for less than the 190. They would not have sound deadening but have the rest of the benefits of the larger hull and upgraded engines.

This exactly! Buy a used bigger boat and save cash and be happy! All that saved dough can be used by us as we suggest modifications and improvements!

I had an 08 SX210 (similar body and same engines to your target) and the engines felt a bit lacking in acceleration more than anything. Top end is improved on bigger boats, but we rarely tear around the lake at 50 mph. The acceleration is way better on the 240, and I echo the tower comment above. If yo have kiddos, get one. If you don't, then it may not be necessary.

Like others have said buy your 2nd boat first. Get the bigger boat just for the room as the kids grow. I don't think anyone was ever sitting on their 24 foot boat and saying I wish I got the smaller boat. The big drawback on the smaller boats or used bigger boats is the sound deadening they did on the 2015 24' boats. Lots of changes in 2015 to think about. Try to find a used or leftover 24 footer as their are people that want to trade up already to the new E series boats. Be patient, there isn't a deadline. Just a thought here but you didn't post your location. There are plenty of people here willing to take you for a spin I'm sure without the pressure of a salesperson with you depending on where you are.

I bought a brand new 2016 SX24 and picked it up for $47,500. With tax and other charges, I think it came in around $52K. Not a ton cheaper than what you mentioned above, but a little less. The dealer had a 2015 SX240 that was $43K, but thought what the heck, get a new one for a few thousand more. But if you are looking at the 24 Limiteds or E Series, then you would be well above the budget you mentioned.

You mentioned 4 adults and 3 children and that alone leads to getting something larger. We had 7 in the boat yesterday and it was very comfortable. With a 21, that may be a little tight. Plus being on the ocean, I would think that a larger boat would the way to go.

We don't need an arch and are totally happy without it. We've actually received many positive comments on how it looks without the arch.

We are super happy with our purchase and just wanted to share our experience here in Illinois. If you can swing the 24 footer, I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Good luck!!

We have 3 boys and faced almost the same decision several years ago: the 21 footer or the 24 footer (actually did the whole workup and budget on the 21 footer, when a boating friend said, 'get the 24 foot one'--throwing the world into chaos). So, what everyone says is right and all. But this is what I can additionally offer: I cannot tell you how often we have taken another family out with us. Or where each of the kids has each wanted to bring a friend. Or two. It is well worth it to not be crowded on the boat or to have to tell a kid that his other friend can't come because there is no room.

Never regretted going with the bigger one.

The 210 will end up being too small for your uses and all your new friends. If you drive other models, you will also find it to be underpowered. Again, you must try each one out in order to notice the power difference. If you drive the 210 and nothing else, you certainly will believe the 210 is powerful enough. But go ahead and drive a 230 or 240. Then, you will realize the power difference. The 21 (as does my 23) will get beat up in the ocean. Sorry, but that is a fact unless you happen to catch a glass day in perfect conditions. It will not be fun getting beat around, even in 2 foot swells. You are concerned about a used Yamaha? Do not concern yourself in the least. If you shop around, you will be able to find a much better boat, bigger, more powerful than the 210, for the money. I bought 2 Yamahas used and have never looked back on either....and I could pay cash for a new one. As soon as you drop a new one in the water, you are losing 20% in depreciation. Don't believe me? Try selling it in 6 months or a year, which you will be doing if you buy the 210. I guarantee if you buy the 210, next season you will be thinking "That guy on the forum was 100% spot on. Now, I have to try and sell this 210 and get low balled. Or, take a bath in trade to get what I really wanted....." Mark my words. Go bigger. Go used. Take your time to shop and be open to anything. Buy your second boat first. But if you do feel you have to buy the 210, think about this. That 210 on the floor is a sweet looking first boat for sure. I "get" all the newbie excitement. This too, shall pass, and you will soon regret not going bigger initially. If you do decide to buy it, however - they absolutely must fix the "dent." It is not that difficult. But......GO BIGGER; GO USED!

I can't agree more, buy your second boat as your 1st boat. In the long run it will save you money. Keep in mind the 24's have the 1.8's. They are not making the motors in the 21 you are looking any more. I'd wait and buy a 2017 21 if you are budget conscious or get the 24 if you can swing it.

I appreciate all of the comments so far. Very much appreciated you guys taking the time to reply and help.

Something I forgot to mention. It's just the wife and I and our daughter. No plans for any more kiddos. 7 would be our maximum we would ever have out. That would be our friends and their 2 kids and us.

The majority of the time it would just be the 3 of us though so that's part of why I'm thinking the 21' may be big enough and save us 20k.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

@NewBoater if you have time and are still researching, check out @octavio3311 postings on that subject, he has a lot of experience and some great perspective on 21er ownership. Or @bobbie. (I'm on my phone, can't really search but you can find it)
Buy your second boat first, 24 is better than 21, 190/192 is too small - all completely true. Until of course you consider ALL the limiting factors that govern your purchase.
I would love to have a 24+ footer. I think about it every time. When I'm on the water.
But - when I close the door of my standard size garage of my suburban home with my (freshly serviced by me) 190 inside, I'm thinking I like my 190.

Last but not least - consider your tow vehicle.
--

Back