• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Total newbie here looking to buy a 2015 Yamaha SX210 and need some help/opinions!! HELP!

Ah, ok, @NewBoater . Don't know where I got the 3 kid scenario, but now I understand from where you are coming. I think that most comments are deriving from the fact that you said that you were considering the 21 foot. Were you to arrive and say you were contemplating a 19 foot, everyone would say to go for the 21 foot. So that said...

I would still say you should look at the 24 foot. Why? I am not an ocean boater (but I believe the comments of those here who have said you will be better with the longer boat), so again you get back to your 'maximum' number of people you want to put on your boat. That may be bringing more of your daughter's friends, another couple along with your contemplated friends, etc. Basically, it works out to flexibility, if you can afford it.

That said (and we have seen this before), you may opt for the 21 foot and then think that those here will poo-poo your decision. Not so. We will all be happy whichever route you chose and will completely help you however we can. Just trying to give you the benefit of some of our experiences.

I do only ocean boating in my 230 and I love it. It is no off shore CC fishing boat but I can choose my days and totally enjoy it. Used is not an issue to me on these either to save money. These motors are pretty durable and easy to maintain also. The storage and tow vehicle will also be a limiting factor and something to consider in your budget also. If you need a storage or a bigger vehicle. I think the bigger boat is always better in the ocean but again choose the days wisely as 3-4+ chop is never fun anyways IMHO. Keep us posted whatever you do and enjoy it. My wife and I love every moment on the water no matter the size of the boat.

The 210 lineup was discontinued for 2016.

Bruce is correct, the 210 lineup was stopped in 2016, but they still have the 212x and 212SS - both 21' boats. These are a great middle ground option.

@NewBoater - Everyone is spot on!!

I have been around boats (mostly sailboats) since I was in my mid-teens. Always loved them - could never afford them. So I always got to squeeze onto a friend's boat. Literally squeeze. Boat ownership is like hitting the lottery = you will never run out of friends. As life continued and improved I found myself prodding my wife onto a sales lot to look at a 19ft Chapparel. We too came to the exact same decision - NO. We didn't even take it out. We did however immediately look at the 223. I liked it... seemed better, just missing something. (as you are with your 210) Like it was perfect for now... but what happens when we get used to pulling it, our boy gets bigger, more family, friends... more toys? We too are at the same basic family. Two adults, one kid... we just happen to also add a great dane.

We started to search and found all the rave reviews of Yamaha boats -- Especially the modifications made to the 2015 24 footers. After searching around, talking to the local dealership and test driving (we boat in and around the Gulf of Mexico and the ICW) we were sold on the 24!!

Yes it wasn't easy to tow at first. I believe it was almost 30 minutes for us to drop the boat the first time. But as for towing now.. its super easy! This is our first boat, when we get the dog, the kid and us all on the boat we LOVE our 242. This is our second season and it is still perfect. No having to squeeze friends on, and when its just us it makes it even better.

As for your current situation I holistically sympathize with you. Stuck in between what seems like a great deal or a HUGE chunk of change for the 24 footer. I highly recommend waiting...looking. Soon the 2017 models will be coming out and the dealerships will be discounting everything. Also call around and see if you can't find a dealer that still has a 2015 24' still in stock. Be willing to make a good drive for a great deal. Adding your location on your profile page will help us help you even more.

IF - you decide to go with the 210 ensure that they completely fix the scratch that you mentioned as well as include that kit. It's your "make you legal" US Coast Guard kit as well as your anchor. Yes they sell these things without anchors!!

I would search. Look for a used 24 or a dealer that is still trying sell last years model or wait until the 2017 are released. Either way - my vote, from a single-kid family that boats in the Gulf of Mexico is 100% for the 24 footer. You'll love it!! Worst case scenario is it can't fit in the garage and you get it show it off!!

Thank you guys again for all the comments and feel free to keep them coming.

Couple things to add, have a 3 car garage and plenty accommodating for any of the boat choices.

Tow vehicle is a new GMC Sierra Denali truck with 6.2 engine so no towing problems for any boat sizes.

We plan on having a lift installed at the house in the next year or so as there currently is not one just a dock/slip to pull the boat up to at the house. So for this summer we will drop it in the water around the corner on weekends and then get it back out at the end of the weekend and them store it in the garage during the week and this winter than then do the boat lift in the next year.

Really hoping we like the way the 21' one rides this coming weekend but if we aren't feeling it we will probably end up looking for a new or used 2015 24' one.

What are the biggest things people purchase or change to the boat at first? I guess I will need a mooring cover. I would have thought that would have been included with the boat but from some reading on here it looks like they are not. What should I expect to pay that? Should I get from the dealer? What's a fair price to pay?
Wonder if they will throw it in or give a big discount on one? Which is the best one to get?

What other accessories are people getting and mods to make and what to they cost?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help a newbie

Last edited:
Good luck with the boat hunt @NewBoater! Don't discount the older models. The 2015+ are great boats, but we love our 2011 too. We ended up with a 242 mainly because it was available and a great boat. A 21' would more than suit our needs. It's usually just me and the wife with a couple friends, but we've had as many as 10 on the boat comfortably. I spoke with a group in a new 212X this past weekend. It was their first year with the boat and they were loving it. I really feel the difference in size between the 21 and 24 is all in the bow area. Either way, you'll have a great platform to make some memories.

Buy the boat you're family is comfortable with, but make sure you keep an open mind and get in as many boats as you can to see all the differences. Keep us updated in your search. Many of us love reliving the excitement of boat shopping!

The 210 will end up being too small for your uses and all your new friends. If you drive other models, you will also find it to be underpowered. Again, you must try each one out in order to notice the power difference. If you drive the 210 and nothing else, you certainly will believe the 210 is powerful enough. But go ahead and drive a 230 or 240. Then, you will realize the power difference. The 21 (as does my 23) will get beat up in the ocean. Sorry, but that is a fact unless you happen to catch a glass day in perfect conditions. It will not be fun getting beat around, even in 2 foot swells. You are concerned about a used Yamaha? Do not concern yourself in the least. If you shop around, you will be able to find a much better boat, bigger, more powerful than the 210, for the money. I bought 2 Yamahas used and have never looked back on either....and I could pay cash for a new one. As soon as you drop a new one in the water, you are losing 20% in depreciation. Don't believe me? Try selling it in 6 months or a year, which you will be doing if you buy the 210. I guarantee if you buy the 210, next season you will be thinking "That guy on the forum was 100% spot on. Now, I have to try and sell this 210 and get low balled. Or, take a bath in trade to get what I really wanted....." Mark my words. Go bigger. Go used. Take your time to shop and be open to anything. Buy your second boat first. But if you do feel you have to buy the 210, think about this. That 210 on the floor is a sweet looking first boat for sure. I "get" all the newbie excitement. This too, shall pass, and you will soon regret not going bigger initially. If you do decide to buy it, however - they absolutely must fix the "dent." It is not that difficult. But......GO BIGGER; GO USED!

We have 3 in our family as well on our 240, but once you bring a few extra people and an extra cooler, blah, blah, it starts to fill up quickly. It is still comfortable, but with a 21' it would be cramped.

As far as buying used vs. new, just compare and contrast the deal. The Yamaha's hold their value very well, so just because it is used does not mean that you are getting a better deal than a new one. It's all relative. The only difference is when a new model has some new major upgrades like what happened in 2015. The older models will lose a little value based on the new gadgets. Still great boats, but if you can afford the newer enhancements, it may be worth it. For me, the difference between a 2015 and 2016 was about $4k which was doable. Plus my wife gave the green light :).

Good luck with your purchase.

Huh, didn't really think I said anything worthy of a dislike there...

What other accessories are people getting and mods to make and what to they cost?

You had us at "mods"!!
We LOOVVEEE our mods. Take some time and look at some of mods you can find on here. From fins, to lights, to speakers, to more lights, to refrigerators. (yes, I said refrigerators... the list is endless with our combined eclectic imagination)
As for a cover you will get a white one that comes with the boat from the factory (just a cover - not for mooring). You will see some of us with the Yamaha mooring cover.. highly recommended!! I made my dealer work into the deal that I could get all accessories that I wanted at time of purchase at employee cost. So my cover cost around $600

BTW - nice truck!! Hell you can tow two of these boats!

Huh, didn't really think I said anything worthy of a dislike there...

No clue how I did that. Must've been by accident. Just undid it. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the post!

No worries, I was worried I mistakenly had offended you. Thanks for updating!

I had a 24, and went back to a 21 and couldn't be happier.

I also will never take it on the ocean, and I have close friends with larger boats if we need to haul more people (which definitely happens).

When I move to Florida next year, I won't be taking my 21' with me and I will be shopping for a larger boat.

I was in your shoes two weeks ago.
Same advice for me as your getting. Didn't listen and ended up with a 2010 AR210. We're a family of four. 2 small kids, 10 and 8 yrs old. The 210 is only rated for 9-10. If your mostly taking a couple adults and their kids then a 210 should be fine. I don't anticipate any issues. There's so much space and storage in these things.

Now if your thinking of taking 9-10 adults then yeah, might get a little crowded. I understand what everyone else is saying, more room is always nice but you've got to work within your boundaries.

As for the ride... The longer the boat the smoother the ride. We took ours out yesterday with all the other yayhoos and there were a couple times in the largest part of the lake I had to pull up on the throttle because it got a little bouncy. More experienced boaters would have probably been fine but I was trying to make the ride as smooth as possible for the passengers.

It's like buying anything else (house, truck, etc) bigger is always better but finding something you can afford and be happy with is the end goal.

All of that to say we've had a 210 for 2 weeks and happy with it.

I was on the fence about the AR240 VS my current 212x. In 2013, I just wasn't crazy about the looks of the AR240 - I mostly was disappointed in the way the tower looked on the 240 - just wasn't crazy about it, but I loved the profile of the 212x. And I had no desire to tow or store a 24'er.
Ride wise - they're were about the same. The 240 is just slightly heavier (350lbs or so), but the 24'er is longer, so I would imagine that extra length coming in handy in certain circumstances.
As for the size, in 2013 the 240 was not a 24'er, so the 240's extra length was all in the bow - cockpit was virtually the same. My 212's bow is plenty big enough, it's not the largest boat in my circle of boating friends, but by far the largest, widest bow. I hoped that the cockpit would have been larger.
That was 2013 - it wasn't about the money. Shit - the 240 was virtually the same price as my 212x and the left over 240 was cheaper. We as a family - me, my wife and my twins - we chose the 212x. And we've been extremely happy with our decision. It does everything we need it to do. Everytime I go out, I can still say to myself "This is 1 badass boat".

If I was shopping today - the 242LS E series would be my bet, but not until I see what the 17' 212x is gonna be. I'm thinking it's gonna be sweet. I just hope corporate doesn't put that 242x bimini on it.

As for your upgrades - OH MAN - that's a whole nother can of worms. Affording the boat is the easy part. The mods are the expensive part. And this place will help you spend money. Doesn't matter how much you do, you will ALWAYS see something else you want.

@NewBoater only one other thing I'd add to the great advice you got already, in favor of the 24' boats - the "head compartment". We were seriously shopping for a 21' boat but then got to thinking it would be nice to have a head on board for emergencies, especially when the Admiral's 90-year old parents are with us. She likes the peace of mind it gives them in an "emergency" and I wasn't stupid enough to argue with her logic for getting a bigger boat! That said, we've had the boat for one full season now and have never used it. It's a big storage space most of the time - which is what a lot of the others here use it for.

wait.. wait... wait... I'm 35 and don't want to crawl into that head unit. You bought it for the 90 y/o parents to be able to use!?!

That sir is one AMAZING angle!! I applaud you @msavold!!!

WOW! No love for the 19's.... :arghh: I feel sad now, sort of. I mean I got a fantastic deal on my boat which left behind a bunch of cash in my boat fund. It came with a smokin' Rockford Fostgate stereo and speaker upgrade, low hours, covers, bumpers, dock lines, etc... We bought because our family of 4 is young and boats always get better. Did I want a 21? 23? 24? YES! But we got out first boat first, and we love it. In 10 years when our youngest is 15 maybe we'll grab someone else's gently used 2024 Yamaha (we'll decide what size then).

My advice would be comb through the used market and find something that someone else already took the dealer hit on and added everything you would pay extra for before committing to that 21.

Darn...no love for the 19's....:(

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not yet but the SX210 have the older, higher revving MR1 1,050cc engines. Those engines are a bit louder than the 1.8L engines as they turn higher revs and they have a higher pitched tone. From what I've read and watched in videos, those motors scream and it would probably be a bit harder to enjoy talking with family and friends while under way. In order to find a 21' boat with the 1.8L engines you will need to buy a 2012 or newer 212X or 212SS. There is certainly nothing wrong with buying used for your first boat. That's what I'm more than likely doing. These boats seem pretty reliable from all of my research over the past years wgile boat shopping.

I am in the same situation you are in and I've been shopping for about a year or more lol. Lots of people are going to say buy your second boat first and you're sort of already doing that by eliminating the 19' boat. I have wavered back and forth over all of the models so many times it's ridiculous. For me the only big plus if I went with. 19' boat is that it would fit in my garage in my suburbia home complete with HOA nazi's. BUT.......I know that boat would not be large enough for my needs if I truly wanted to enjoy it for years on end. It's just me, my wife and our 6 year old daughter but if I ever wanted to take out my family plus some more family or friends on the boat I know that single engine would be struggling and it would get cramped fast on the boat. So for those reasons, having the 19' fit in my garage doesn't outweigh the cons of not having a lot of long term flexibility in occupants and space with regards to performance.

So with the 19' out enter the 21' boats. Like I said earlier, unless you really want the new SX and louder engines, I would really take a look at used 2012 and newer 212X and 212SS boats. The 212SS is basically like the SX210 meaning no tower and just the Bimini top yet it has the different engines. However if you ever think you're going to want to take the kids or friends out tubing and maybe wake boarding or wake surfing, I would look into the 212X as it has the tower and ballast system. Used prices for these boats are near the same so it's really just a matter of do you ever want a tower and if that answe is yes than find a 212X or maybe even a 212SS that someone has added a tower. Space on the 21' looks about the same as the space you get from the older 23' boats because the bow is wider on the 2012 and newer hull designs of these boats. The older boats had a more pointed bow which forces everything tapered in and feel more cramped than the wider bow boats. Personally unless you're doing a lot of big lake stuff or ocean stuff, I think a 21' boat is more than enough for most families and friends. I think it's a great balance of useable size for a family plus friends and has great performance. Not to mention it gets better gas mileage on the water than the 24' boats, has longer range and is lighter for your tow vehicle since they are the lightest boats with dual engines. I'm also pretty sure that 21' 1.8L boats are the fastest of the Yamaha fleet since they have the best power to weight ratio of the dual engine boats.

With that being said you can find some really nice used 24' boats in close to the same price range as a new, leftover SX210. Thats why I'm looking at used 24' AR240''s, 242 Limited's along with used 21' 212X's and 212SS's. I don't think you can go wrong with either a 21' boat or a 24' boat for most families out there. I think both size boats are more than capable for any family. That's not to say the 19' boats are bad at all, as they are great boats, but for anyone with a family and wants to take lots of other adults and toys on board I think you'll find the boat is too small to live with for years on end. I do envy they can be stored inside most common 7' garages and wished I could store a 21' boat in mine. If I could fit 21' in my garage I would not even consider a 24' boat but because I'm going to have to store either of them outside or at a storage, then that opens up my options and allows me to focus on the "best deal per foot" of a boat. I will say one big factor I've always like about the 24' boats over the 21' boats is the head compartment. While it's not huge by any means, it does allow for the family to at least go to the bathroom while out on the water as opposed to visiting Mother Nature or having to haul butt back to the ramp or dock restroom. Personally I like the looks of the 21' boats over the 24' boats but buying used you really have a lot of options out there to pick from to hopefully finding your perfect boat. New boats are just too expensive for me when I have mortgage, car and truck payments, kids, school, etc. I'd love to have new but Yamaha loves their boats too much to wiggle on them.

I know none of my rambling has helped you but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone on here in deciding between a 21' or 24' boat. Just keep in mind that most people who have commented so far have a larger 24' boat so naturally their response is going to be a little skewed. You need to find someone who has gone from 21' to 24' and let them tell you how much of a difference it really may be both in space but in handling. Obviously the larger the boat the more it weighs and the more displacement in water it's going to create resulting in a smoother ride at any given water condition.

Last edited:
For me the only big plus if I went with. 19' boat is that it would fit in my garage in my suburbia home complete with HOA nazi's.

We have those same neo-nazi SS soldiers in our neighborhood. I've seen them chew butt on a rather nice center console bay boat...
Enter my Yahama.. All I get is "Hey... when do we get to ride?". As you are well aware those rules are to assist in retaining our homes value. I promise you a nice 21' or 24' Yamaha boat will NOT look bad!! :winkingthumbsup"

We have those same neo-nazi SS soldiers in our neighborhood. I've seen them chew butt on a rather nice center console bay boat...
Enter my Yahama.. All I get is "Hey... when do we get to ride?". As you are well aware those rules are to assist in retaining our homes value. I promise you a nice 21' or 24' Yamaha boat will NOT look bad!! :winkingthumbsup"

Thing is they won't even allow a boat in the driveway! My backyard is too small/narrow since I live in a garden home on the side of a mountain hill. So I will either have to store my boat at my old parents house in their backyard next to my dads rotting Bayliner Fish n Ski or pay out the nose for storage somewhere. I live about 45 minutes from the lakes here and I think what I'm going to do is see if my father wants to go in half with me and we buy one of those covered aluminum car ports to put it in his backyard since they live in an older neighborhood without HOA's or covenants.

Trust me I have a love/ hate relationship with HOA's. I'm glad they exist otherwise my neighborhood would look bad over the years. I keep my yard maintained very nice and appealing as opposed to my annoying neighbors who are lazy and let their house pretty much go but no amount of nice looking boat or driveway "eye candy" would keep our HOA from sending me a letter since they are a 3rd party company and its not people within the neighborhood running the HOA. Hell I fully expect to get letters when I do get a boat and bring it to my house to clean it in the driveway :D. Meanwhile my neighbors house and others in my neighborhood look like crap with old cars leaking oil and crap in the street and driveways. Those are more of an eye sore than any boat IMO.

Last edited:
Back