• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Hook Suggestions

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
As I continue to build my own forum, I thought I would ask if anybody has seen a tow hook like this.

I can see what Glastron was thinking, in which a flush mount tow hook would avoid stubbed toes and such. Especially in an area that is designed for a lot of activity.

The issue is that using only the "finger" the tube rope becomes unhooked easily. When towing the 4-person tube, the rope is quite substantial.

When using a Larks head (or cow hitch) the amount of rope is nearly as wide as the finger. And a single loop, although thinner, seems even less substantial.

The major issue arises when my rope minder is working as we circle around, and tends to pull the rope off, so we need to reattach a lot.

Has anybody experienced a tow hook such as this?

Sorry for the poor picture, it is all I have currently. Hook is in the center. I will try for a better shot tonight.

http://images.boatdealers.ca/original/203018/5606061/glastron-187.jpg
http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company63439/322843_p_t_640x480_image15.jpg

I took the liberty of posting the full photo for you @jonw9 , hope that is ok, much easier than opening the thumbnail. txav8r
photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Yamaha's don't have one that is much better. I find that as long as you keep some drag (ANY amount), the line does not come off. So I keep my rope minder in the boat and loop to pick up people who fall, and only if I stop is there a need to mind the rope.

You can see the hook in my signature pic....it just sticks up in the middle by the "H" off the handle

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
^ It is fully enclosed (like a half sphere), with only the bent middle "finger" portion.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Yeah, that is what I referred to as a "Lark's head" (how I learned it as a scout).

I will take a photo with the rope on it tonight. The rope was showing wear from only a single session, as this hook seems to be more of a "point load" than the standard style tow ring.

I am just trying to make sure I am not missing something simple...

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
So, here is the tow point (photo 4)
photo 4.JPG

If I do the Larks Head as described above, then pull on the rope with all my weight, it looks like photo 12.
photo 12.JPG

As soon as I let go, it relaxes and nearly comes off (photo 22)
photo 22.JPG

Just for reference, I put a single loop of rope on there as well (photo 31)
photo 31.JPG

I am just wondering what would be the best, since the rope is showing wear damage after 2 outings (photos 11 and 21)
photo 11.JPG photo 21.JPG

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think Glastron engineers may have slipped up on this one. Looking at the pictures it appears a large tube rope would not even fit in there. The pictures could be deceiving.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is kind of a strange hook and doesn't look like a very good design. All the ones I have used with that type of finger in the middle are like the one @SuperJetDan posted above.

Would it make sense to put either an extension on the rope that has a smaller diameter (like a 5 foot section) and do the larks head knot, or maybe something like a climbing carabiner on the end then hang that from finger (if it would fit in there)? That's about all I can think of for options...

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
What does Glastron say about towing from the tower? May solve the problem for now.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
It is an Xtreme Tower whose site says this: "What can I tow behind my wakeboard tower? Either (1) Skier or (1) Wakeboarder. No inflatables are to be towed from your wakeboard tower!"

And I think one of the 17 warning stickers says the same thing.

The rope is a 4-person rope, it came with my Costco tube. Betting it is this one: http://www.hosports.com/product-detail.php?id=tubes-4k-tube-rope

I will drop them a line and see what they say, but I came here for the quick response!

I was trying to thing of something I could wedge in there to keep the single loop from coming up. Again this is only an issue when stopped waiting for reboarding on the tube. I may try a superball or something.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The later Yamahas have one like this, and so far I haven't had a problem with it.
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.45.16 PM.png