• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow rope bound up

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got my boat back from someone else using it (long story for another post) and the port engine won't start. I pulled the pop outs and there is a tow rope all wound up in there tight as cable on a winch. What is the best way to undo this mess? Would this prevent the engine from even starting? SMH.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got my boat back from someone else using it (long story for another post) and the port engine won't start. I pulled the pop outs and there is a tow rope all wound up in there tight as cable on a winch. What is the best way to undo this mess? Would this prevent the engine from even starting? SMH.
DON'T start the engine until you remove the rope. If you can find the end of the rope you can pull the spark plugs in that engine. That will allow the impeller shaft to rotate freely allowing you to pull the rope out. You can also cut the rope and pull it out using the same procedure. After removing the rope check for damage to the intake grate, impeller and look for missing silicone around the intake grate.

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good info. Thanks! I did try and start the engine before I knew there was an issue. I suspect it was tried repeatedly by the operator as I found the port key still in the ON position. He had to have limped it back to the dock on one engine. What damage could have been done and how do I find out. I need to figure out how to charge this back...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm getting less happy as I go along. Now I'm told there could be some damage to the non operational engine if the operator ran the running engine higher than no wake speed on the way back. Thoughts?

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possible. You need to check the non starting engine for water in the oil. If it is milky white, you need to change it right away and do not start engine. You will have to change the oil several times, then run it and change again. You would also want to pull spark plugs and check cylinders, but milky oil is your first clue.

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer. You're right. It's possible that water could be inside the cylinders and hydro locking the engine preventing it from turning over. It's very important to remove the water ASAP. First get the rope off of the impeller shaft by removing the clean out plug and cutting it out. Then, replace the clean out plug & secure the clean out hatch, remove the spark plugs @ the safety lanyard. Then turn over the engine and check for any water coming out of the cylinders. Hopefully there won't be any. If so, you're going to want to check the oil & probably Chang it with filters a few times. You'll also want to run it for a while on the lake to get all of the moisture out. But to do this, you'll need to do several oil changes. Time is of the essence though because any moisture left in the engine will destroy it. Let's hope it's just stuck due to the ski rope.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't panic just yet. I've had a rope wrapped around my drive shaft three times since 2009. In two cases I was actually able to undo the rope without cutting it; it just took me a little over 1/2 hour to do it. No other damage.

Your's sounds like it is so tight and keeping the engine from turning over so in that case I doubt it it can be undone without losing the rope. But I wouldn't start adding up $ for repairs just yet. It all depends on where the rope is and how bundled it is. Many people have been in your same position without any damage to the boat; just the rope.

I suggest removing the intake grate, pretty easy on these boats. Then get a serrated knife and cut the rope out. You may find after you cut away a bit you'll be able to unwrap several feet until you have to cut again. You can do it without removing the intake grate but it may be worth that extra step.

On the other subject of getting water up into the non operating engine you certainly need to check it out. But again don't panic until you see there are actual problems. The likelihood that water works it's way up the exhaust system aren't that high.

Take a breath and check things out.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another option is to pull the pump off (pretty easy, but if it is to tighly wrapped around the shaft it may not be easy to pull out....I've not heard of someone trying this approach, but I've thought about it as a way to save a rope and avoid the PITA of cutting).

Keep up posted on the water issue....it is theoretically possible to force water into the non running engine, but no documented cases I've read yet....

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before I would start removing anything, just pull the cleanout ports and start cutting the rope out and get it out. We've done it several times with no ill effects. I find using a straight edge razor blade works well just be careful, but any knife that you can operate in there will work. This is just my 2 cents, but I think forcing water into the engine that is not running is more difficult than folks think...not that you would want to take a chance, but almost of all the water in engine threads I've seen are because water intrusion in the engine compartment. But do check the oil as others have mentioned.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That IS a bummer. Let us know the results of each issue.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is a major bummer and the top reason my boat will never be loaned to someone, especially people not educated on a Yamaha jet boat. I hope everything works out and it is just the rope keeping the engine from starting. Keep us posted we are there with you with anything you need.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are lucky you won't even have to pull any plugs. Just get ahold of a loose end and pull hard and slow. If you have to cut it to create an end, then do that. A serrated blade should cut right through that poly line.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a rope sucked up this past weekend. First time ever. It took some time, but we got it out.