• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tower Speaker volume control?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to add a 2nd amp for the tower speakers but want to control the power and volume separately. What's the easiest way to do that? I've seen the Wet Sounds 3 zone controller and its nice but kinda big, I don't want something like that hanging from under the dash.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a Kicker ZXMRLC set up... you can see them under the stereo by the ballast switch

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does this allow you to turn them off or just lower the volume?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you can turn them all the way down to zero and they are off.. When we wakeboard I turn the boat speakers down and the tower speakers on full.. and vice versa when we are riding I turn the towers off and the boat speakers up..

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sub is inline with the boat speakers so when they get turned down so does the sub...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I agree. The Kicker seems to be the right solution for you. It has the added advantage of more line voltage and it keeps you from extending the RCA cable path.
Two things worth noting.
The Kicker comes with one short and one long cable. If you need two long cables then get with Odin @ Earmark Marine as he stocks the Kicker plus the longer cables.
As mentioned above, when you reduce the in-boat volume you also reduce the subwoofer output. However, if that becomes a big deal and you want on occasion to play the sub and tower without the in boat coaxials then you can split the in-boat zone and add an inexpensive PAC LC-1 to the in-boat coaxial channels. This way you can independently turn down the in-boat coaxials without impacting the sub output. Not everybody feels they need this provision but now you know there is a very easy solution.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the cables are just 4 wire RJ11 (phone) cables.. you can buy or make them easily.. I need to cut mine to length and get rid of the excess cable..

Purplebeast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE
][/QUOTE]
This is from Roswell Audio. I have one on order but has two volume controls. planning on hooking up my tower to one and cabin to other.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use 3 PAC LC1's - like this! 1 for the 6 in-boats, 1 for sub, 1 for tower.
We removed the knobs from their housing and thru-mounted at the helm.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is from Roswell Audio. I have one on order but has two volume controls. planning on hooking up my tower to one and cabin to other.[/QUOTE]

@Purplebeast where did you order this from and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I were to use this to control my cockpit speakers and my swimdeck speakers that are powered off the same amp I should be good correct? I have the cockpits running at 2ohms for the front channel and the swim decks running at 4 ohms on the rear channel then I have a sub on the fifth channel on my 5 channel amp. Currently I have to go into the headunit and shift the fader to control the zones and that is a pain.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use 3 PAC LC1's - like this! 1 for the 6 in-boats, 1 for sub, 1 for tower.
We removed the knobs from their housing and thru-mounted at the helm.

Your installation looks great (you posted photos from the cockpit side on another thread). Can you post photos of the back side of the dash showing how you mounted these?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used both the wetsounds 420 and an extra volume knob. The advantage of the 420 eq far exceeded my expectations. Every single speaker in my boat sounds 10 times better. The extra volume knob works great for the kids. They sit in the bow and I like to not hurt their ears with louder music when they are that close to the speakers. I can control all 4 zones from 0 to 100 percent.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same question @cozilla has.

I bought the Clarion 502? HU - the one with ONE knob---BIG mistake....

I wired it with my 4 channel amp (which is matched to the rear fader by default) and put the swim deck speakers on the front side of the HU output, with the bow speakers on the rear of the head unit. This way I can fade to the rear and all the boat speakers are on, and fade to the front and the swim deck speakers are on. This works fine, EXCEPT getting to the fader control is a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't clear to me how any of these faders are wired....

Purplebeast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I were to use this to control my cockpit speakers and my swimdeck speakers that are powered off the same amp I should be good correct? I have the cockpits running at 2ohms for the front channel and the swim decks running at 4 ohms on the rear channel then I have a sub on the fifth channel on my 5 channel amp. Currently I have to go into the headunit and shift the fader to control the zones and that is a pain.
Without having this in hand, i really don't know for sure. once it comes in i can say, but i think it works off of input to the amp.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Julian,
They are pre-level faders and not power level faders. All before any amplification stages, whether internal or external power. So after the master volume you have a pre-level fader. Stereo in with four 'outs'. Each pre-level fader 'out' is split between the input of an internal 4-channel discrete amplifier and an external preamp RCA output.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian,
They are pre-level faders and not power level faders. All before any amplification stages, whether internal or external power. So after the master volume you have a pre-level fader. Stereo in with four 'outs'. Each pre-level fader 'out' is split between the input of an internal 4-channel discrete amplifier and an external preamp RCA output.
So these would only be helpful when all your speakers are hooked to AMPs....

Guess I either need to buy another amp...or change this PITA HU to one with a more easily accessible fader control that doesn't require a laminated card for me to follow to find the fader control. Since I've invested and installed Clarion remotes...that limits me to Clarion....any of them have a fader KNOB?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
So these would only be helpful when all your speakers are hooked to AMPs....

Guess I either need to buy another amp...or change this PITA HU to one with a more easily accessible fader control that doesn't require a laminated card for me to follow to find the fader control. Since I've invested and installed Clarion remotes...that limits me to Clarion....any of them have a fader KNOB?
Correct. Only with all speakers connected to external amplification. All you need is more amplifier channels.

Take me back to the day of a rotary knob or switch for every different function and big analog dials. No functions buried in the menu. I miss my Philco radio with motorized station scan.