• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing an SX210 with a 2013 4WD Honda Pilot

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Honda Pilot towing capacity shows 4500 lbs. I believe the SX210 weighs 2800 plus 300 for fuel and 1000 for the trailer? That seems pretty close to towing capacity considering the wet launch ramp etc. Is anyone using a Honda Pilot with 4WD?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Towing with a Pilot will depend on what sort of distances and terrain you intend to tow. Just a short trip to a local ramp probably ok. Highway trips over mountains....no.

We'll have to get together for beers next time I visit my cousins/aunt--they live at The Candlewood Club (I think that is what it is called).

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wouldn't do it for very far or very often. It's gonna be hard on the transmission for sure.

Do they have a low range? You could always use that at the ramp.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will definitely want to make sure that you have the transmission cooler. I would also make sure that the trailer has brakes but if it is an SX210, it should. You are pushing it but you could get by as long as other passengers and supplies go along in a 2nd vehicle. We do this sometimes and I like having a "chase" car for any longer distances.

I use an MDX but my boat is about 900 pounds lighter. I have no problems with the towing but I have only gone up to 2 hours away at any one time.

The AWD at the ramp is nice and pulls the boat up easily

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2012 Pilot for and recently upgraded due to needing more cargo space. My normal tow was about 20 miles to the lake but pulled a couple of 2 hour trips and once to Florida which was a 12 hour trip. No issues at all with it. The 4WD has all the towing upgrades on it already, thats why it is rated for that weight. The 2WD does not.

It is a bit underpowered so go easy on the gas on hills to keep the tranny from hunting too much. Never felt concerned by the weight behind it. The braking system is solid and handling great. Nice towing vehicle.

In a perfect world, we could all upgrade to trucks. I get it. Know what you have behind you and tow smart. The Pilot can handle it.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Towing with a Pilot will depend on what sort of distances and terrain you intend to tow. Just a short trip to a local ramp probably ok. Highway trips over mountains....no.

We'll have to get together for beers next time I visit my cousins/aunt--they live at The Candlewood Club (I think that is what it is called).
Sounds great Julian and thanks for the reply. I live 20min from Candlewood and our land here is hilly. My bigger trip is back and forth to the bay in NJ. That's a 2:45 trip with no traffic and trailer. All highway. I was intending on making that trip at least a few times a year. I'm concerned now that the Pilot can do it. I noticed some posts with transmission coolers etc. I have no understanding of this option.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2012 Pilot for and recently upgraded due to needing more cargo space. My normal tow was about 20 miles to the lake but pulled a couple of 2 hour trips and once to Florida which was a 12 hour trip. No issues at all with it. The 4WD has all the towing upgrades on it already, thats why it is rated for that weight. The 2WD does not.

It is a bit underpowered so go easy on the gas on hills to keep the tranny from hunting too much. Never felt concerned by the weight behind it. The braking system is solid and handling great. Nice towing vehicle.

In a perfect world, we could all upgrade to trucks. I get it. Know what you have behind you and tow smart. The Pilot can handle it.
I l
You will definitely want to make sure that you have the transmission cooler. I would also make sure that the trailer has brakes but if it is an SX210, it should. You are pushing it but you could get by as long as other passengers and supplies go along in a 2nd vehicle. We do this sometimes and I like having a "chase" car for any longer distances.

I use an MDX but my boat is about 900 pounds lighter. I have no problems with the towing but I have only gone up to 2 hours away at any one time.

The AWD at the ramp is nice and pulls the boat up easily
Great to hear. This is encouraging. I may upgrade in a few years if I can get by with the Pilot. Thanks again for the insight.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2WD Pilot does not have any towing ability beyond like 3000 lbs or something. 4WD has the capacity. It has the Trans cooler, heavy alternator, etc and other things needed to handle the load. It tows well as I said, but does not have a lot of power in reserve. It did fine for me here in NC, but I wouldn't want it in the mountains. However, look on google and you will see plenty of people towing campers with it (and the Honda pickup which is the same) in the mountains, etc with great reliability.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2WD Pilot does not have any towing ability beyond like 3000 lbs or something. 4WD has the capacity. It has the Trans cooler, heavy alternator, etc and other things needed to handle the load. It tows well as I said, but does not have a lot of power in reserve. It did fine for me here in NC, but I wouldn't want it in the mountains. However, look on google and you will see plenty of people towing campers with it (and the Honda pickup which is the same) in the mountains, etc with great reliability.
Thanks for that info. Thats very reassuring.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@SSPK2015 I feel your concern. I have an AR210 that until recently I towed with a 2008 Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is rated at 5000lb towing vs the Pilot's 4500. The Ridgeline got the job done, but it was not a pleasant experience. For my shortest trips to the ramp (2 miles) obviously no problems. Any longer trips and I got frustrated. The Ridgeline's constant transmission hunting drove me nuts. It would pull hard in 3rd gear at 3500 rpm but would not shift up. If you let up on the gas any at all then it would shift to 4th, then quickly to 5th. It had no power in 5th gear, so you would start to decelerate, so you give it more gas, causing it to shift back to 3rd gear and start the process all over again. :rage: On our longer 2.5 hour trips, this would make me absolutely insane. If the ridgeline had a tow/maul where you it would not go into 5th gear it wouldn't be an bad tow vehicle (within it's rating). I will also add the boat/ridgeline combo did not feel safe at freeway speeds, curvy roads, or hard breaking situations. But I will say I never had any problems with the steepest/slippery ramps though.

But ultimately I had enough. Just a few weeks ago I bought a Ram 1500. Couldn't be happier. No more gear hunting. No more getting tossed around/jostled every time we hit a bump. Now having the Ram I realize how much the Ridgeline was struggling. The bigger truck feels way more secure in stopping/pulling/ curvy road/ everything. The best was to summarize it is this: before with the Ridgeline you weren't sure if you were pulling the boat or getting pushed by the boat. Now with the Ram 1500, there is no doubt who is in charge. The Ram is rated at 10,000 lbs max towing. Being at 50% of your towing capacity vs 100% capacity is worth the price paid.

FullSizeRender.jpg

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks very much for the details. I realize that I can get the job done but it's going to be dicy at best. I don't do well with dicy. I may have to upgrade the Pilot by spring. My wife really wants a Tahoe and that might be a good way to make both of us happy. Thanks again for the in-depth information.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We'll have to get together
I have not been on the lake yet on my own. I have been with friends out of Echo Marina? Near Down the Hatch. I just purchased this boat and I intend on find a way to launch it there. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I live in Brookfield - within walking distance to Echo Bay Marina and Down the Hatch. I've walked home many a nights from Down the Hatch:D

Candlewood Lake is surrounded by 5 towns - Brookfield, Danbury, New Fairfield, Sherman and New Milford. All 5 towns have nice town launches, it costs residents about $150 per season - towns issue decals for the boat and trailer - if you use a launch and don't have that decal on your trailer - it's a ticket. You can't get a season pass without residence.
There is a public launch in Danbury - it's the only public launch on the lake. It's gets ridiculously super busy. It's free to launch and free to park - but that will be changing real soon as the lake is being overrun with out of towners - especially from NY.
Other than that - you have to rent a slip at 1 of the many marinas, or if you look at Craiglist - some waterfront homes rent slips as well.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Brookfield - within walking distance to Echo Bay Marina and Down the Hatch. I've walked home many a nights from Down the Hatch:D

Candlewood Lake is surrounded by 5 towns - Brookfield, Danbury, New Fairfield, Sherman and New Milford. All 5 towns have nice town launches, it costs residents about $150 per season - towns issue decals for the boat and trailer - if you use a launch and don't have that decal on your trailer - it's a ticket. You can't get a season pass without residence.
There is a public launch in Danbury - it's the only public launch on the lake. It's gets ridiculously super busy. It's free to launch and free to park - but that will be changing real soon as the lake is being overrun with out of towners - especially from NY.
Other than that - you have to rent a slip at 1 of the many marinas, or if you look at Craiglist - some waterfront homes rent slips as well.
Great info. Thanks so much. I will check out the slips. I need this kind of help!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great info. Thanks so much. I will check out the slips. I need this kind of help!
Candlewood East is by far the most expensive marina - its a "Boat Club with beach, playgrounds, barbecue area, resteraunts, bars, etc.... They're about $4000 + or -. Brookfield Bay will be your cheapest at $1800, but they're cheap because of location and the docks are old and shot. Echo Bay falls in the middle around $2500-$2800.