• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Disabled Jet Boats

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a Yamaha/SeaDoo Service Tech who said that he had a Yamaha 242 Limited S in his shop for repairs. Apparently, the boat became disabled on West Bay and was towed in by a towing service. When the boat arrived at his shop for repairs they found that water had gotten into both motors (apparently caused by the tow) which caused more issues (water came in through the exhaust) than the initial problem. I am a little concerned about hearing this as my 195 HOI has been towed once by BoatUS last fall, but no one said that water got into to the engine that was replaced. @ScarabMike do you have any insight on what this guy might be talking about? Is towing disabled jet boats a valid concern? Anyone?

Casey_215HO

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The owners manual of my 215 talks about this.... if you tow at a speed of greater than 15mph (I believe) you need to clamp off the water intakes to prevent water from entering the engine. I had an issue with my boat and called the dealer that I bought it from and they came out to look at it (while I was on the water). The technician was very clear that towing the boat back was not an option because he was very afraid of getting water in the motor since he didn't have clamps with him. He had said he just got back from Scarab training and this was a big no no.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes,

If you ever find yourself needing a tow, you have to clamp your exhaust intake hose. If not, the water will be injested by the engine.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I guess another item to add to the list when someone is looking to buy a jet boat for the first time.. @Casey_215HO You are absolutely right! I just went through the manual and it was there. I apologize :sorry: for being lazy. I should have seen that when I went through it the first time:shamefullyembarrased:...

@ScarabMike thanks for the link. Another tool to add to the underway bag... Thanks!

JoeNite

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121404190524

found this on ebay and ordered two - seems like a great solution/great price

Update - got these in the mail - they seem very well made and very sturdy - and very light...
Hope I never need to use them
bonus - ordered 2 and they shipped an extra (says this on the eBay page as well)

Last edited:

Casey_215HO

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing I just grabbed two myself! Hopefully don't ever need them...

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Joseph Twaronite I going to grab one myself. The metal one that I got doesn't look it was be a secure as this one. Thanks!!

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just bought it!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Huh....I thought the Scarabs had a closed loop cooling system and heat exchanger that meant that cooling water to the engine was in a closed loop and the only external water went to the heat exchanger? Did I miss something?

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Huh....I thought the Scarabs had a closed loop cooling system and heat exchanger that meant that cooling water to the engine was in a closed loop and the only external water went to the heat exchanger? Did I miss something?

The exhaust side is still raw water cooled. so water could enter the engine through the exhaust valves if not clamped off

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The exhaust side is still raw water cooled. so water could enter the engine through the exhaust valves if not clamped off
Huh....and I wonder if there are less passages to fill as a result....so it might happen easier? One day someone should disconnect a cooling line on a non-running engine (in a two motor boat) and measure how fast you have to go to get water to back up high enough to enter the engine (also see if gate position makes a difference).... (things to do if you have all the time you ever wanted on the water!! LOL)

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Huh, I didn't know this. I towed the boat last year when I sucked up a tow rope, we towed it reasonably fast and didn't screw anything up...that I know of. But, I just bought a clamp as I'm sure I'll need it.

Can someone please post a picture of our engine and where to clamp? That would be great, haha. Thanks.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think there is video in the Scarab Repository...

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Please find attached a ROTAX Service Bulletin in regards of Towing.
From what I was told, towing creates pressure in the pump inlet thus forcing water in the exhaust cooling system, water would then accumulate in the muffler before making its way to the engine.

Attachments

JoeNite

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
interesting - thanks - does anybody know if the 250 rotax used in the scarab is "with or without catalyst"?

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 model 195 HOI and based on what I'm seeing when I pop the hood compared to the pics in the attachment, mine is with catalyst.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 250 and it has a catalyst.