• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 oil level

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone know how much oil is between the upper and lower dip stick marks on a TR-1 engine?
I was on the water today and one was a little full, I am trying to determine how much to pull out since I am not on a level spot at home.
Thanks!

Although looking at your timestamp right now, it seems that you've already passed this point make sure to check your oil level next time you are out on the water

Any confirmation on this? I have both TR-1 engines not getting past 7300rpm (and top speed is 37ish) after dealer did the first oil change & filled to the full line. Before this I was getting close to 8000rpm and 45ish, with oil level right just below the midpoint between low and full.

Oil should be about 1/4" or slight more above low. If they filled to the full line, you will need to pull some out. Check when warm. Also now check your air filters as well. You can try running with them out to see if it helps. If it does then your air filters are clogged with oil and should be replaced. Although some clean them.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. If I’m full and want to get down to just below halfway between full and low, how much would I take out?

No idea try 1/4 - 1/2 quart. If you take out too much just put some back. Check warm.

Took out about 1/2 quart from each when they were showing totally full. Today in cooler water and air after taking out that extra oil I was turning 7900 port and 7600 starboard, good for 47mph with the wind, 44 into the wind in my 2021 AR210. Port oil level check shows half way between E and F, starboard about 1/3 of the way.

Attachments

• 132EBB1A-6868-42CF-851A-D632ECD633CB.jpeg
    132EBB1A-6868-42CF-851A-D632ECD633CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • FDD0608F-127A-4273-A9CD-DB6CF1D170F4.jpeg
    FDD0608F-127A-4273-A9CD-DB6CF1D170F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
What were the rpm indications prior to deservicing ?

@CarolinaJet Next time out, verify speed on your phone as well with a speed gps app. 47 is exceptional on our AR210's. What was the water temperature and air temperature as well as elevation above sea level?

I haven't been able to crack 44 mph at circa 500' above sea level. Great Lakes Area, Michigan. I run mine halfway between low and half.

@CarolinaJet Next time out, verify speed on your phone as well with a speed gps app. 47 is exceptional on our AR210's. What was the water temperature and air temperature as well as elevation above sea level?

I haven't been able to crack 44 mph at circa 500' above sea level. Great Lakes Area, Michigan. I run mine halfway between low and half.

I hit 47 today after adding 3 qts per engine. Light-ish chop, with the occasional 1' swell. This is consistent with my boat since I got it. Adding one person will drop me to 45, typically, but when I'm all alone and conditions are right, I've hit 52.

I got the 210 precisely because I don't care about "top speed", I'm more concerned about comfortable cruising and reasonable fuel economy. If speed were my priority, I'd have gone with a boat with the HO engines in them.

This being said, I understand wanting to know that I'm also not giving away speed, and it sounds like you either have more weight in your boat than I do, that's siphoning off some performance, or perhaps a nice cleaning up on the underside of the boat can get you a mile or two extra?

For those who don't want to take their extractor on the water, go get a turkey baster or plastic syringe (like one for gas/oil mix) and a short piece of hose that fits over the end, and an empty bottle to hold the excess you will pull out from the engine. The dipstick is easiest to access, but a pliers will get you access to the secondary extraction hose, which I would think would be easier to remove from vs the dipstick.

For future oil changes, stop filling it after you've added 3 quarts of oil. That's MORE than enough to get you out on the water, and take 2 quarts of oil with you. Check your oil while on the water, where the engines SHOULD be level, and add oil, little by little, until you're at a level you desire. Trying to match what you took out may or may not work, but for many, it seems to be "may not". You can be right in theory, but wrong in execution of your plan.

3 will get you boating, and since you're going to be checking it ANYWAY, why not save yourself some worry and possibly extra removal work, and set aside a few minutes to add oil when you have the best conditions for a successful outcome - on the water.

What were the rpm indications prior to deservicing ?

I was seeing 7300 on both before, topping out at 37-38. I think air/water temp is a factor as well. Nonetheless, it is still surprising to me that the engine runs significantly faster w less oil in it.

Air temp was about 65, water temp 73-74, and this lake is 260 feet above sea level. Light chop. Gas about 80%, windshield and wind blocking door closed, nothing stored in front of windshield. I’ll check w GPS next time out.

Now, how do I get 300-400 more rpms out of the starboard ;) ? It already has a bit less oil than port, throttles are adjusted to the stops. I’ll do plugs when I change the oil this winter.

Air temp was about 65, water temp 73-74, and this lake is 260 feet above sea level. Light chop. Gas about 80%, windshield and wind blocking door closed, nothing stored in front of windshield. I’ll check w GPS next time out.

Now, how do I get 300-400 more rpms out of the starboard ;) ? It already has a bit less oil than port, throttles are adjusted to the stops. I’ll do plugs when I change the oil this winter.

You probably won't. It is always lower.

Took out about 1/2 quart from each when they were showing totally full. Today in cooler water and air after taking out that extra oil I was turning 7900 port and 7600 starboard, good for 47mph with the wind, 44 into the wind in my 2021 AR210. Port oil level check shows half way between E and F, starboard about 1/3 of the way.

From what I understand it’s normal for the port engine to turn more rpms due to a couple of physical factors, I have the TR-1’s and the port engine always turns a few hundred rpms more than starboard. This can be corrected by having the impellers tuned / matched to their respective sides. I’m experimenting with some different impellers For high altitude and the impellers come marked port / starboard And my engines now turn the same rpm at WOT. It’s possible you could get a mph or two more with the starboard impeller tuned to match the port engine‘s rpm.

I find this whole deal with the engine oil level and it’s affect on rpms / air filter fouling interesting since these are dry sump engines, although I’ve had a dirt bike in the past that had a bulletin sent out to lower the oil level slightly (200 cc) from its original fill of 1300cc’s.

If y’all are looking for an easy way to extract / add oil in precise amounts, buy some catheter syringes and the appropriate size tubing. I’ve used these for years to bleed brakes or hydraulic clutches on my dirt bikes.

Last edited:
I got the 210 precisely because I don't care about "top speed", I'm more concerned about comfortable cruising and reasonable fuel economy. If speed were my priority, I'd have gone with a boat with the HO engines in them.

I am the same opinion as you. But I use my top speed as a baseline to know if I have other things I need to deal with or need to look at. If I am bleeding speed off then I need to determine why.

When are you checking you checking your oil levels? I notice it is high even after letting it sit for 10-15 after running hard. With completely cool engines, the level is correct (between H and L)

Check your manual. Your profile is showing you have a Sea Ray, and if you have a Yamaha, it'll be in the manual about when to check it.

10-15 minutes may not be enough, as evidenced by your statement that it's correct when cold. Mine should be checked when warm, in the water, and I would want it to be middle to not quite full at that point.

Yours may be different, but it's in the manual somewhere

Back