• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trading my 2008 Yamaha in for a 2014

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am thinking very seriously about trading my 2008 Yamaha 232 Limited in for a 2014 242 Limited S. Are there any known issues any one of you know about or have dealt with that I should be privy to before I pull the trigger? The dealer is asking 39K for it, with 213 hours on it. I have not looked at it yet, but I would like to go into the negotiation with as much information as possible.
Thank you,
Island Style 57

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m a newbie here; but if I was going to trade up, I’d go for 2015 or later.
AK (rudder) and hinged seats being the big difference.
JMHO, YMMV.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m a newbie here; but if I was going to trade up, I’d go for 2015 or later.
AK (rudder) and hinged seats being the big difference.
JMHO, YMMV.
Not to worry about your status here, any advice is helpful, especially from owners of later model boats, thanks!

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
None that I am aware of. Earlier models had issues with the oil cooler bolts, but that was 2010/11 ish. Just be sure to water test it.
I should be in the water with it this Saturday, providing the weather holds up. However, the value of my trade will also affect my decision.
Thanks for your input.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2012 and we love it, but if I had a 2008, I would not trade for 2014. Our primary reason for purchasing the boat was for going to Bimini and as far as I know the 2014 does not have significant advantage to justify $20K+ cost associated with the upgrade. If i has a 2008 that was in a good shape I would wait until the next generation.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a 2012 and we love it, but if I had a 2008, I would not trade for 2014. Our primary reason for purchasing the boat was for going to Bimini and as far as I know the 2014 does not have significant advantage to justify $20K+ cost associated with the upgrade. If i has a 2008 that was in a good shape I would wait until the next generation.
Thanks for the input, good food for thought. If I could just get rid of my MR-1's and get two 1.8's in it I would be more inclined to keep it for a few more years.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why Is that ? I have heard nothing but good things about those engines!
I am not even going to touch the fact that they burn 25% less fuel than the 1.8s

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure about his model, but my ‘11 210 was not HO. And, I felt like the boat was a bit of a dog. Part of my reason for upgrade was more power.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure about his model, but my ‘11 210 was not HO. And, I felt like the boat was a bit of a dog. Part of my reason for upgrade was more power.
That boat has plenty of power with the HO MR-1, 160 horsepower each motor.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Why Is that ? I have heard nothing but good things about those engines!
I am not even going to touch the fact that they burn 25% less fuel than the 1.8s
I boat in salt water, even using Salt Away and religiously flushing my engines after every outing salt, and sand build up can be a problem (and has been). The 1.8 ltr. engines have much larger ports in the water jackets around the cylinder, plus, the increase in power however slight would be nice, especially hauling 6 grandkids around.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Moe power, Noise abatement and simplicity of drive line are good reasons to upgrade, but the Mr-1s were more expensive to make and pretty nice overall. (No gear box on 1.8..part of the reduced expense in making them) and the 24ft are way heavier.

Be sure to test drive it, and confirm it meets your expectations before the swap.