• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer @Help...

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, have a trailer question.

I have the original trailer with surge brakes that came with our 2006 AR210. The rear wheels with the brakes are running extreamely hot (both sides of the trailer). So hot that it's spewing grease everywhere. I took a look to see what it could be, I jacked it up and the tire takes a little bit of effort to move (rotate). The surge on the hitch is completely released and there still seems to be tension on the rotor. I'm thinking the caliper is not releasing fully once the brake is applied.

With that said, I also have one broken lug so I was just going to order the whole thing but I'm not sure if I'm ordering the right assembly. We are going on a trip this weekend so I want to make sure I order the right setup so I have time to install before our trip. Thanks for all the help.

KODIAK 10" Trailer Disc Brake Assy, DAC Bearings & Seals incl. (Comp. 1 Axle Kit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UH5IMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7akBzbHVCM2RT

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
looks like the right one.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suspect that bearings are the issue but can't hurt to replace the calipers too. Replace your bearing buddies too or move to oil bath.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few things that I can think of that could cause sticky brakes would be: a bad master cylinder (brake actuator), air in the lines and/or a sticky caliper. Not knowing the maintenance or any history of the trailer, it seems like the possibility that both calipers stick at the same time would be small. However, I did have a sticky caliper years ago and replaced mine with an aluminum option.

The MFI trailer came with UFP brakes that use db35 calipers. I bought my replacement parts in person, but they do sell them online at www.pacifictrailers.com

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree with Dennis. I have had both air in my lines and a sticky caliper in the past. I had corrosion on a piston which caused sticking every year or two. I got so sick of it I installed electric brakes. Not the most economical solution, but I am pleased with the decision.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had to replace the right side caliper this spring. It was sticking, causing excessive heat on that hub and slinging bearing grease and losing the buddy bra. I also replaced the bearing buddy at the same time. All has been well since.
20170518_181215#1.jpg Tried to move it with a c-clamp to no avail.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to try the actuator first, seems to make the most sense since it's happening to both sides.