• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailer speed

tri-guy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How fast do you trailer your boat? I keep under 65 and get passed by other boats, trailers, rv's etc.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Usually around 70 depending on the speed limit. Without the boat I am almost always 10 over.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got back from TN last week. Came thru most of the state of Kentucky at 80mph, no problems. Just BE SURE that you have enough grease in your bearings!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here in California the max towing speed is 55mph. However, you will be run off the highway by semi-tractor trailers if you're going that slow. I usually stick to the posted "max speed limit" for autos which is 65-70 depending on the highway.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My 4.7L 4runner is a great tow vehicle for a double duty daily driver... But I usually tow 60-65 to take it easy on the vehicle.

When I get a Tundra with the 5.7 or Cummins, maybe I'll tow 75 :)

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Depends on speed limit. I have a stretch that is 80MPH on my way to Lake Powell. If I try to go over 80 MPH with my boat, there are parts that I get 5MPG. Drop to 75 and I get 12MPG. Might be different w/ the Escalade (bigger block), but bigger boats are a parachute when you're going that fast.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like most here I tow between 65-75, I noticed the tower is a big MPG eater!!!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If I stick to max 65 I can get about 11 mpg with my tundra start going 70-75 when the road allows and I'm getting about 8-9mpg. Love my Tundra 5.7 v8 but it can get thirsty. That's really my limiting factor.

I do have a small lift and some wider then stock 20"s on it too, that lost me a couple mpg.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never speed. Ever. That's against the law. It wastes gas and is a danger to low flying birds. I like birds. People give me the bird all the time when I'm driving the speed limit. :rolleyes:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I drive the speed limit. It's just where the stretches in the road have a 80mph limit it can get sucky on mpg. I have found tall semis are my best friend. I hope they don't feel like I am riding their ass though. Makes a 3mpg difference and that adds up over time.

tri-guy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good idea, never thought to draft off a truck. I'm definitely trying that.

I drive the speed limit. It's just where the stretches in the road have a 80mph limit it can get sucky on mpg. I have found tall semis are my best friend. I hope they don't feel like I am riding their ass though. Makes a 3mpg difference and that adds up over time.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here in CA the towing limit is 55. I guess I'm one of the few who adhere to that fairly closely. I tow 55 - 60 with both my boat and camper trailer. Miraculously, I've never been "run over" by faster traffic. In fact, I see quite a few folks, at least those towing campers, towing at that same speed. For me, the additional risks of running fast with a trailer just aren't worth saving a few minutes in route. That's just me, though, to each their own.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good idea, never thought to draft off a truck. I'm definitely trying that.
:). The effect goes as far as almost 4 trailer lengths before it starts to not work for me.