• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Storage rack....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would love to find some premade bolt on trailer storage brackets that I could use to attach gas cans to my trailer with. Below is an example of what I'm talking about, but it seems they only make ones designed for the metal gerry cans vs the poly gas cans we all have.

I gonna guess I'd probably be better off just going to a trailer shop and asking them to weld something onto my trailer....

1656345968301.png

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I'm understanding you correctly, these should be at least close to what you're wanting. Since they're not really designed for the marine industry, they are NOT stainless steel, but zinc coated. I know you do at least some boating in salt, so you could maybe take some pics to a custom steel fab shop local to you, and have them bend something up with stainless round rod based on these designs, or you could try one of these, and see how they last?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those poles are just bolted on with u-bolts. And they are bent square tubing. The only welding would have been on the rack. And you can purchase a roof rack for that portion.

I would recommend some large pool noodles on the uprights though. Looks cool.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like stated above, find someone to fabricate one for you and your specific cans you'd be using. If there is a career center of vocational shop that high schoolers go to I'd give them a shot. Usually cheaper to have them make stuff and they learn in the process.

If you were closer, I'd make one for ya. (or if you're heading this way)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure of the validity of this, but i was.told plastic containers are not legal for this sort of use because they are likely.to break and spill if hit by a rock or other debris, hence them existing for metal Jerry cans but not the more convenient plastic cans.

I think if I was going to do it, I'd try to put a metal box in the front A under the bow, and put the cans in there.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure of the validity of this, but i was.told plastic containers are not legal for this sort of use because they are likely.to break and spill if hit by a rock or other debris, hence them existing for metal Jerry cans but not the more convenient plastic cans.

I think if I was going to do it, I'd try to put a metal box in the front A under the bow, and put the cans in there.
That's interesting, I've never heard of a law like that... could maybe be a state law, or something? Landscapers are my primary customers, and a lot of them have gas can holders on their trailers like the ones I linked above. Never heard of any leaks or legal issues related to it, but I also understand the elevated risk of impact damage in comparison to steel.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's interesting, I've never heard of a law like that... could maybe be a state law, or something? Landscapers are my primary customers, and a lot of them have gas can holders on their trailers like the ones I linked above. Never heard of any leaks or legal issues related to it, but I also understand the elevated risk of impact damage in comparison to steel.
It could be total BS. The situation it came up was we were moving from Nc to Florida and i strapped a couple of cans to the truck, just in case. The uhaul guys pitched a fit when I picked up the car trailer saying it was illegal and dangerous and whatnot. I was like... They're strapped with the door literally.protecting them, but they wouldn't relent so I had to put them inside the box of the truck.

It might be nc law, It may be made up law, I dunno, but that was my experience lol.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be total BS. The situation it came up was we were moving from Nc to Florida and i strapped a couple of cans to the truck, just in case. The uhaul guys pitched a fit when I picked up the car trailer saying it was illegal and dangerous and whatnot. I was like... They're strapped with the door literally.protecting them, but they wouldn't relent so I had to put them inside the box of the truck.

It might be nc law, It may be made up law, I dunno, but that was my experience lol.
I would’ve told them “yeah don’t mind the 38 gallons under my truck in the plastic tank”

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

"inside the box of the truck" as in.... inside an enclosed compartment?? As opposed to the well ventilated outside? Lol, I've got no dog in this "fight", but at the same time, I'd like to know if there are any legalities involved in that. I can't imagine there is, but our government has been known to make some interesting laws from time to time... At any rate, that's an interesting experience you had.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"inside the box of the truck" as in.... inside an enclosed compartment?? As opposed to the well ventilated outside? Lol, I've got no dog in this "fight", but at the same time, I'd like to know if there are any legalities involved in that. I can't imagine there is, but our government has been known to make some interesting laws from time to time... At any rate, that's an interesting experience you had.
Yeah, it was a uhaul truck(technically they're all vans to avoid legal issues with weigh stations) and they thought it'd be safer for them to be in the box of it than to be on the outside. I dunno, it was a weird time. We were running late already and had a long day ahead so I was like... whatever lol.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Exactly, those large plastic fast fill cans are so popular in motorsports. And the racks that you can bolt or weld on are everywhere the tank makers are. The think I find funny, are the signs at Costco, telling us we cannot fill any cans larger than 6 gallons. Not sure who enforces that, as I do doubt it's a law. In lakes country, here in MN, you gotta have a half dozen six gallon cans to make a dent in these big tanks.