• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trick to open trailer brake-key slot

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've often been in a position where I had to force reverse the trailer because the slot where the disengage key goes was not open enough and I'm on a downhill slope. I figured out a way to open it up though. Yesterday I was in that position and it dawned on me that I could just chock a trailer tire and then drive forward about an inch. It worked perfectly. Not rocket science but it took three years to figure it out. Ha! I have a pic of the key just to show what I'm referring to.

Attachments

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't tell you how frustrating it was when I'd try to back the boat up a slight hill and when I'd try to put this key and it would just fall out. I ordered the below magnet off Amazon for $7.00. I am now able to put the key in place and put the magnet over it and it holds it perfectly. When the boat is in place I remove the magnet, remove the key and then stick the magnet on the side of the tongue.

CMS MAGNETICS Bar Neodymium Magnet 3" x1/2" x1/4" - Rare Earth Rectangle Magnet for Craftings, School Projects and Magnetic Therapy, One Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can't tell you how frustrating it was when I'd try to back the boat up a slight hill and when I'd try to put this key and it would just fall out. I ordered the below magnet off Amazon for $7.00. I am now able to put the key in place and put the magnet over it and it holds it perfectly. When the boat is in place I remove the magnet, remove the key and then stick the magnet on the side of the tongue.

CMS MAGNETICS Bar Neodymium Magnet 3" x1/2" x1/4" - Rare Earth Rectangle Magnet for Craftings, School Projects and Magnetic Therapy, One Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
That's a great suggestion! Thank you. I'm ordering one right now. The zip ties are not perfect for sure.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

I keep these in the forklift at work for moving boats and always keep one in my truck door. They are so worth it.

Tab is welded to magnet, and I believe its powder coated. Only seen 1 break and it was from abuse and misuse.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just dont toss it from the truck to your buddy if hes got bad hands. If they hit the ground hard enough it shatters the earth magnets, but magnets are brittle and not meant to be subjected to that kind of abuse.

JTPain

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wanted something more foolproof and was tired of messing with that key.
Drilled a couple of holes to slide a screwdriver through.
I slide it in well before I need to back up.IMG_2798.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dang...I meant to “like” @JTPain’s post. This is the second time I did that. They need to build in an edit option for the emojis.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Why dont you have a wiring harness that disengages the brakes?
That would be great if I knew I could do that. I have an adapter right now. The trailer is 4 pins I believe and the truck has 7. What do I need to do to disengage with a wiring harness?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That would be great if I knew I could do that. I have an adapter right now. The trailer is 4 pins I believe and the truck has 7. What do I need to do to disengage with a wiring harness?
It should work stock....the trailer should have 4 pins in one direction and 1 in the other. One of those pins connects to the reverse lights on the tow vehicle. When the vehicle is in reverse it engages a solenoid on the trailer that disables the brakes.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have that set up but my wheels definitely lock up without the key. Good to know the potential is there though. I will do some troubleshooting and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dang...I meant to “like” @JTPain’s post. This is the second time I did that. They need to build in an edit option for the emojis.
You should be able to edit your "reaction" (like etc) to a post. Just click on it again and change your selection.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Beautiful! I just tested it and that works perfectly.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have that set up but my wheels definitely lock up without the key. Good to know the potential is there though. I will do some troubleshooting and see what I can figure out. Thanks!
I wonder if the tow vehicle harness reverse light hookup is missing?
You can test the trailer solenoid if you had a flat to flat connection by just connection the trailer end pin (blue wire) to the 2nd pin (brown wire) on the tow vehicle and turning the tow vehicle lights on. See this link for help:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! This is very helpful. It gives me a good place to start. Thanks! I’ll let you know what I find out.

JTPain

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an older F150 and it won't disengage the solenoid with stock wiring.
On my wife's Jeep Commander it works just fine.
I'm better at drilling holes than electrical work. lol