• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UBB replacement or trailer bunk support issue

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So instead of going for the low fruit of oil and filter brands or cobra vs TV I thought I would bring up Ultmate bunk boards.

I installed these last year with the greatest of expectations. Unfortunately I like many have quite the powerdering issue and I can see a difference of markings on the hull that I never saw with carpet.

I'm very curious though as to why some members don't see this chalking.

Could it be our high quality MFI trailers were mfg with the bunk supports not quite positioned correctly? When I looked my bunks especially near the bow they bend in and up. The original wood was like this and not knowing for sure I just duplicated it on the UBB installation. I know this pinching doesn't account for the rear bunk chalking (except maybe because of the angle) but maybe their supports were angled wrong as where ever the chalking is the carpet was worn also.

Are the supports and bunks placed a special place/angle or can they just be put on there (within reason)?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My theory is a simple one, somewhat based on experience. I believe the reason some members have more trouble than others is simply due to the road conditions they drive on. I think carpet is better at absorbing bumps in the road and the UBBs are not. I live in MN and the roads get tortured by freezing and thawing temps. The ice expands in the cracks and tears the road apart. I found that on my short trips to the lake on roads that were relatively bump free I had no issues. I pulled the boat to northern MN where the roads were horrible in some places and saw lots of chalking. I took some pictures and placed them in a thread on the other site. I can get that info posted here as well.

Another theory is that the UBBs aren't as strong as wood and thus more weight is placed on the contact points causing more wear.

In summary though, I think if you drive on relatively smooth roads you shouldn't have much trouble. Just my opinion on the matter. I carpeted my UBBs and haven't had any issues in the half season they were carpeted.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of our friends HAD the UBB, and went back to wood and carpet. His thoughts were that the UBB provided no cushion so the hull markings were more obvious and harder to buff out. We still have the original wood and carpet bunks, but will need new carpet soon. Thinking of just putting the new carpet over the old for more cushion.....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the damage I received from carpeted bunks is just as bad, but a different appearance than carpeted does. You may be into something as far as support. But support comes from the steel support struts, not the bunks. You can slide a plastic putty knife between the hull and the bunk easy on either bunk within a foot of the steel supports. I think the supports are too few, and place too much pressure on too few places, on the hull.

Knowing what I know now, i wouldn't use the UBBs I don't think, without other modification to the support.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the damage I received from carpeted bunks is just as bad, but a different appearance than carpeted does. You may be into something as far as support. But support comes from the steel support struts, not the bunks. You can slide a plastic putty knife between the hull and the bunk easy on either bunk within a foot of the steel supports. I think the supports are too few, and place too much pressure on too few places, on the hull.

Knowing what I know now, i wouldn't use the UBBs I don't think, without other modification to the support.
That is, if you HAD a boat..... lol! Just kidding Mel...... Did you check out any of those boat I listed for you? I would be happy to take a look at any of them if you want..... :winkingthumbsup"

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to mention I drive about 5 miles on relatively smooth paved roads and have not done any bow stop modifications yet.

When the boat is on the trailer you can easily see the rear of the forward starboard bunk has at least an 1/8 to 1/4 inch where it is not even touching the boat. That is what kind of got me thinking maybe the supports weren't mounted correctly (if there is a correct way).

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I dont have the bow stop welded yet..... Is there a thread on how to get this done properly? I didn't see one so maybe someone with experience can start one? Our bow-stop is getting pretty wiggly!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I will share my bow stop mod and look at those boats this weekend...on a 4 day trip but home tonight ! Thanks!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Shiny side up...or dirty side down!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have a theory that the rear tiedowns are parallel (making a parallelogram) don't give enough support to prevent the boat from squirming from side to side when trailering, hence leading to some wear. On most boats they are at an angle which helps to prevent side-to-side motion. I looked but unfortunately there is no other decent places to connect them to. Cam.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I but UBBs on my 210 trailer. It made the boat too easy to launch, I had to power up to get enough tension off to release the winch. I did not like that. I did like the ease of recovery though, by far the best benefit. I did get chalking but didn't notice much on the boat, white hull. All things being equal, I do not plan to install them on my 240. I will just invest a fraction of the money on new doubled up carpet when the time comes.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My original wood bunks rotted within a few years of new. The rearmost wooden bunk just floated up and away from the angle iron support. If I hadn't caught it, I would have driven to boat right on to the iron. That's reason enoughfor me to have replaced the bunks with ubb.

I do have my bow stop welded for support and haven't noticed the chalking problem. I also have the ratcheting tie down straps on the rear of my boat. It is SNUG when its on the trailer and does not move at all...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I too had boat buckles and a welded/braced bowstop the last few years of ownernship. I think all the chalking I got was from the years the bowstop was not welded...but I am speculating to a certain degree. Regardless of which bunk board, if the bow stop post flexes, your boat moves on the bunks when trailering. Carpet or otherwise, it will scuff to a certain degree. The reason I changed to UBB's in the first place was to try to eliminate the scuffing I could see from loading! But like Jaws, I wouldn't do it again either.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had bow stop double bolted and it didn't move, still got some chalking but not as severe as others so y'all might be on to something.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My theory is a simple one, somewhat based on experience. I believe the reason some members have more trouble than others is simply due to the road conditions they drive on. I think carpet is better at absorbing bumps in the road and the UBBs are not. I live in MN and the roads get tortured by freezing and thawing temps. The ice expands in the cracks and tears the road apart. I found that on my short trips to the lake on roads that were relatively bump free I had no issues. I pulled the boat to northern MN where the roads were horrible in some places and saw lots of chalking. I took some pictures and placed them in a thread on the other site. I can get that info posted here as well.

Another theory is that the UBBs aren't as strong as wood and thus more weight is placed on the contact points causing more wear.

In summary though, I think if you drive on relatively smooth roads you shouldn't have much trouble. Just my opinion on the matter. I carpeted my UBBs and haven't had any issues in the half season they were carpeted.
I have a set of UBBs... in my garage. They've been there for two years. Part of the reason is my original bunks and carpets are still in pretty good condition. I bought the UBBs to have on hand for when I really need to make the change. But after reading so many posts on the down side of UBBs I've also thought that if my bunks go bad I will do what you did. I'll install the UBB but carpet them. That way I expect never to have to replace the bunks again, and will not have the issue with rubbing the hull off.

Either way my trips to the lake are less than 20 miles round trip so I don't expect to have many issues.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My theory on the chalking is a simple one. I think that the two hard surfaces (UBBs and Gelcoat) combined with a little bit of road grit or sand makes for a perfect sanding action to occur. This doesn't happen with carpet, and the carpet fibers prevent the sanding action. The longer you drive with UBBs, the more sanding action that happens.

Firmly believe in the simplest answer is probably correct.

If put some sand on top of a flat piece of fiberglass and place a board on top of it (with your weight on it) and wiggled it, I think you'd get some nice sanding action. If you wrapped that board in carpet, I think you'd eliminate the sanding action. Perhaps a test is in order?

Last edited:

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree Julian, and I wouldn't be surprised if a chaffing action with the UBBs even without sand could damage the hull. The UBB feels smooth and slippery to the hand but put several hundred pounds on each contact point and I'm guessing the UBB isn't so smooth any longer.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I got the white chalking with a black bottom boat.