• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unlocking the new clean outs

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Went out on @Brian eilrich 2017 212X over the weekend. When we came back in I went to unlock the clean outs (twist type) and could not do it using all my strength. Brian could not either. My daughter tried as well because she could get two hands down there. We ended up just leaving them and Brian said he would sponge the water off the top of them to prevent ice forming on top.
Anyone having problems unlocking the clean outs?
FYI water temp was 48 degrees.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went out on @Brian eilrich 2017 212X over the weekend. When we came back in I went to unlock the clean outs (twist type) and could not do it using all my strength. Brian could not either. My daughter tried as well because she could get two hands down there. We ended up just leaving them and Brian said he would sponge the water off the top of them to prevent ice forming on top.
Anyone having problems unlocking the clean outs?
FYI water temp was 48 degrees.
The 2017 212 still has the twist type? I thought all the new ones went to the push button release.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 2017 212 still has the twist type? I thought all the new ones went to the push button release.
2017 model year boats have a new twist locking clean out plug. Push button are gone.

I would have to assume that the temperature has something to do with this.....It will be interesting to see if getting it out of the water for a little bit and warming up allows them to free up.

New cleanouts are Covered here...and here is a quick video I did:

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my first couple of trips out I had trouble removing the plugs also. I was able to remove mine after I pressed down on the plug with my body weight and then turned them. Of course my water temp that day was 60°F not 48°F so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It does seem the 2017 clean outs are a bit of an issue with lower temps...

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My left one seems to get stuck but comes loose after a couple of tries. My right one needs a good bit of muscle to get out. I Yamalubed them today with silicon and it seemed to have eased the task. I think its just a matter of them being new and requiring some break in.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put very light coat of Vaseline around sealing area of plug and it works great now.

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My dealer lubed mine during delivery. We had our boat out in ~50 degree water and didn't have any issues removing them.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Brian eilrich reported back to me that he had no difficulty removing the plugs a couple days later. I don't know why we could not do it the day we brought it out of the water.