• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

USED Yamaha 242 Values?

JimL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m looking to upgrade and curious what the value of my existing boat is and the potential upgrade.

What are the fair private party & trade-in values of:
  • 2011 242 LS and galvanized trailer with ~250hrs (Thrust Vectors, infinity speakers, new deluxe mooring cover, standard mooring cover, shipping cover, & 16k transom lights) in very good to good condition
  • 2018 242 XE with painted trailer & YES warranty. ~30hrs in very good condition.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
May I suggest NADA.com to look up prices for anything you consider. But NADA doesn't work like Edmunds or Kelly. Then compare with local and national ads for used boats. The problem is you will pay what the seller thinks it's worth. Also, don't pay extra for extras. We all upgrade our boats, but it won't bring more in a private party sale. Don't let someone talk you into paying extra for their mods.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
May I suggest NADA.com to look up prices for anything you consider. But NADA doesn't work like Edmunds or Kelly. Then compare with local and national ads for used boats. The problem is you will pay what the seller thinks it's worth. Also, don't pay extra for extras. We all upgrade our boats, but it won't bring more in a private party sale. Don't let someone talk you into paying extra for their mods.
I disagree with the mods comment. If I were to look at two identical boats, one with a really nice built in GPS and Radar and one without, I'd pay a lot more for the one with the GPS and Radar. Same applies to stereo systems, camper covers, drive control systems etc. The value of something is in the eye of the buyer...if a buyer finds it valuable, they'll pay for it.

Now I do agree that it is a negotiating tactic to say to the guy with the nice GPS and Radar...."but I'll never use that" and try and talk the price down - as long as you are prepared for him/her to say "ok...I'll remove them and sell them on EBAY separately", or say "Ok...I'll look for a buyer who wants them".

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m looking to upgrade and curious what the value of my existing boat is and the potential upgrade.

What are the fair private party & trade-in values of:
  • 2011 242 LS and galvanized trailer with ~250hrs (Thrust Vectors, infinity speakers, new deluxe mooring cover, standard mooring cover, shipping cover, & 16k transom lights) in very good to good condition
  • 2018 242 XE with painted trailer & YES warranty. ~30hrs in very good condition.
With out looking and not calculating location into below is my guess as to the values. The range is wide.

2011 242
Private party $25k-30k
Trade in $15k-$20k

2018 242x
Private party $60-$65k
Trade in $45-50k

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I disagree with the mods comment. If I were to look at two identical boats, one with a really nice built in GPS and Radar and one without, I'd pay a lot more for the one with the GPS and Radar. Same applies to stereo systems, camper covers, drive control systems etc. The value of something is in the eye of the buyer...if a buyer finds it valuable, they'll pay for it.

Now I do agree that it is a negotiating tactic to say to the guy with the nice GPS and Radar...."but I'll never use that" and try and talk the price down - as long as you are prepared for him/her to say "ok...I'll remove them and sell them on EBAY separately", or say "Ok...I'll look for a buyer who wants them".
In my experience mods most definitely help to sell a boat. But they do not substantially raise the price. Just help to sell fast.
So, I guess one could argue that translates into money, but the bottom line is - one should never expect to recuperate the cost of mods, even a fraction, when selling. I don't.

--

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My point exactly, only better said. I’m a little into off-road and Jeeps. I can’t over state the tens of thousands guys put into modding Jeeps and 4x4 trucks and they still can only sell them around Blue Book. The best deals are from guys who broke the bank modding their toys and had to liquidate to pay the mortgage or save the marriage.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
100% agree with - "don't expect to recoup your mod costs"....but I do think that a boat with mods will sell for more than one without (assuming they are valuable and done well) and sell faster, but no way you will get all your mod dollars back. Same applies to houses....they even have guidelines on what % of our mods you'll get back on houses...its way less than you'd think....same would apply for cars and boats! You'll get some....but probably not much more than 25-30% for the good and expensive mods.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It all depends on what mods are. If someone put $5,000 in to a stereo that has been done professionally then that saves the potential buyer a lot of money because he doesn’t have to do the mod. That’s if the potential buyer was planning on upgrading stereo that is. Knowing what I know now I would pay more, not dollar for dollar though, for a modded Boat vs a non modded one if the mods were something I wanted. It would save me money and time in the long run.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Got an email from jbp
Screenshot_20180731-122355.png
Once will announces new models u may snag a boat for cheaper.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If buying used, I look for tasteful and well executed mods. I'll pay more for them. Most likely not dollar for dollar, but 50-75% retail for them is not out of the question. Mods have to be well done, and useful in my area. I'm not going to pay for a fresh water wash in my area, I'll just get in the lake. Same for a permanent mounted VHF radio. It's just not necessary where I use my boat. Tower speakers, cockpit lighting, and GPS Cruise, those would be worth the money.

Bought my used pickup the same way. Already had spray in liner, all weather floormats (weathertechs, not wal-marts), appropriately dark window tint, and A/T Tires. It was ~$2k more than the 99% stock truck sitting next to it. I bought the mods. Liner was $750 quote, Tint was $250 quote, Floormats were probably $250 (guessing on that one), Tires price just over $1,400 on TireRack. Tasteful, useful, well done mods are worth some money.