• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using Damprid?

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey All!

A friend of mine suggested that if i use Damprid this season while in storage it could eliminate some of the mold I got when i opened the boat up this year. Currently it will be covered with the Black Yamaha mooring cover (it’s a 242 LS) and it will be inside an un heated garage here in the Midwest.

For those of you that have used Damprid? Did it help, and how much did you use? I won’t have access to the boat until March or April when I put it away. I was thinking like two big tubs, but wondered about the compartments as well.

Any ideas?

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a tub or two in the boat all year to keep the moisture level lower. I replace them when I put the boat in storage and at the start of the boating season. I won’t say we’ve never had mildew, but we’ve had what I consider very little.

We keep the inside of boat as open as possible while in storage, but we have on in the main part and one in the port side storage compartment.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes it works great and I use it every winter during long storage. I use Star Brite "No Damp" but it's the same type of stuff as Damprid. Any moisture absorber will technically work. I put one small container in each storage compartment. Damprid also make hanging bags as well if you have you entire boat wrapped during winter.

Here's a video I posted a few years back to show just how much it will wick out, even in a seemingly "dry" storage compartment.

Last edited:

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Always hang some when shrink wrapping they work well.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use desiccant beads. They absorb moisture and are recyclable. They start out a cobalt blue when dry and turn pink when they've absorbed water. To recycle them for reuse you just cook them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on a paper plate to dry them out which returns them to their origional deep blue color.

I get a pack of women's ankle high nylon stockings (you can get them free at any shoe store where you try on shoes). I fill the sock 3/4 the way up and tie the top in a knot. I hang 4 of these in the boat during the storage season.

I bought the gallon size of beads but the quart size would be fine as I just recycle the same beads for the next season. Still have 3/4 gallon of unused beads. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gallon-7-5-LBS-Premium-Blue-Indicating-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Beads/302889937465?hash=item4685a5aa39:g:9o0AAOSwr3ZboqSj

Last edited:

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's been a game changer for me. I keep one of the gallon tubs in the center of the boat whenever it's covered and it has cut down the mold to almost nothing.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man that stuff is impressive!! Seeing all your post I'm thinking I either need to go buy some of that stuff or take the cover off and go air out my Bennie on a nice warm winter day. .... yes we do get those... about twice a week!

Guess I'll have to go hit the waves by myself since @haknslash is just too cool to come down to the beach. :D

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran out today and put one large tub in the boat, and the small tubs in the helm, the head compartment and under the seat in front of the head. I also opened the seats in the rear as well and covered the boat back up. It’s inside for the winter, but no heat, so hopefully this will help from last year.

One thing I didn’t like is the refillable tubs are open at the top, compared to the throw away large tub. Next year I’ll get the non refillable ones. Yes I dumped some out of the open tops as I was placing one. Lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use two large tubs (bow and stern) and I pick up a six-pack of the smalller tubs at BJ's for the compartments. Makes a world of difference! Less-to-no mold/dampness and a fresh smell when you open her up. I had mine shrink-wrapped for the forst time this year and forgot to ask the marina to put the two tubs in. I'm curious to see the difference when I open her up in the Spring.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just get a heated garage to store it in.. set temp to kick on when gets to about 52 degree your good to go.

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would be careful with the hanging bags, I've had them leak in my camper a couple times, and can't use them if it's in a place where they can freeze.

Damprid also make hanging bags as well if you have you entire boat wrapped during winter.
Yes it works great and I use it every winter during long storage. I use Star Brite "No Damp" but it's the same type of stuff as Damprid. Any moisture absorber will technically work. I put one small container in each storage compartment. Damprid also make hanging bags as well if you have you entire boat wrapped during winter.

Here's a video I posted a few years back to show just how much it will wick out, even in a seemingly "dry" storage compartment.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good to know. I personally don't use the bags and always the little buckets.