• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF and antenna

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any good recommendations for an antenna that I can install that is not permanent and that maybe even attaches to the waketower (newer forward design, AR210)?

I want a good setup for Bimini. Any pictures and links that I can click on to buy are appreciated. Thank you

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got an AR240 with the forward swept tower but it should be very similar. I would consider mine semi-permanent. I used a Shakespeare QCM-S mount attached the the starboard side, top crossbar on the tower. It's a quick connect antenna so I can remove it when I'm just on the local lake as in the picture below. The cable runs up the tower so it's concealed. The radio (Standard Horizon GX1700) is mounted on a piece of starboard where the factory storage cubby is behind the throttles. I can remove the radio and put the storage cubby back in with 4 screws. I have two quick connect antennas, a 4ft and an 8ft (Shakespeare QC-4 and QC-8). I used them on the Gulf a couple years ago with good success.

If you end up going this route and want an 8ft QC-8 antenna I've got several extra. The place I bought from sent me a whole box of them instead of one by mistake and told me to keep them instead of trying to mail them back.

Attachments

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got an AR240 with the forward swept tower but it should be very similar. I would consider mine semi-permanent. I used a Shakespeare QCM-S mount attached the the starboard side, top crossbar on the tower. It's a quick connect antenna so I can remove it when I'm just on the local lake as in the picture below. The cable runs up the tower so it's concealed. The radio (Standard Horizon GX1700) is mounted on a piece of starboard where the factory storage cubby is behind the throttles. I can remove the radio and put the storage cubby back in with 4 screws. I have two quick connect antennas, a 4ft and an 8ft (Shakespeare QC-4 and QC-8). I used them on the Gulf a couple years ago with good success.

If you end up going this route and want an 8ft QC-8 antenna I've got several extra. The place I bought from sent me a whole box of them instead of one by mistake and told me to keep them instead of trying to mail them back.
This is an awesome setup! I may copy you if I keep my boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Very similar to my set up. The only other thing I've added is an external speaker. I found that without the speaker it was VERY hard to hear the radio in the wind on the ocean (click on the Yamaha 242X link in my signature for install details...#28 is radio install , #29 is the speaker install)

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found a few more pictures of my install. I originally looked at a Pacific Aerials mount based on another user on here that had installed one. Pacific Aerials has a better antenna selection for their quick detach than Shakespeare. Pacific Aerial's mount is a more low profile better looking but has a bigger mounting plate. The AR towers have a smaller cross member than the 242 towers so the Shakespeare seemed the best route to go for me.

20180524_223553.jpg20180524_223623.jpg20180602_120846.jpg20180602_120955.jpg20180602_121016.jpg

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used machine thread 1/4-20 screws if I recall correctly. I used a tap to thread the holes in the tower after drilling them. You could use self tapping but you'd have to be careful with the aluminum to not strip the threads as it's not very thick, probably 1/4" or so (it's hollow tube, not solid). Bolts would work but you would have to drill all the way through and I didn't want to have more holes than necessary in the tower or fasteners on the inside where they could get a finger. I considered using stainless steel rivet nuts which would alleviate the concern about the aluminum not holding the threads but so far I haven't had any issue. If it ever appears mine are loosening up I'll probably pull it an install the rivet nuts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This works for me but not sure I'd use it if I lowered the tower a lot there's a chance of pinching the coax cable on every use I think.

Attachments

JayZ2012

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I ended up with. I put it in the top of the tower with self tapping screws. I was able to run the cable in an existing hole in the tower, so it is pretty clean. I'll need to modify the bimini top just a little bit on this side (extend the 'hole' there by about 5 inches). 1580701979166.png 1580702029183.png1580702057716.png1580702174658.png

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Different M/Y boat and tower configuration. Just showing other options. I mounted the VHF radio on the port side dashboard. It seemed a little bit of a tight fit at the helm. And besides I like the visibility of it there, next to the existing fishfinder. I used speaker mounts Krypt Wakeboard Tower Clamps - 1 1/4'', 1 1/2'', 1 5/8'', 1 3/4'', 1 7/8'', or 2''. clamped to my style tower. Which mated well to the Shakespere HD mount. I ran wiring within the tower, where I could. The wiring runs down the tower tubing, thru the mtg. base plate and into the storage lockers on either side. The base plate already has a weep hole drilled thru the center of it, I just needed to measure 3 times and drill thru the fiberglass deck, below the hole, to access the inside of the tower. Port side antenna is a QC VHF and starboard is AM/FM.

0826161549.jpg

Wire visible at transition between upper/lower tower

0725161247.jpg

And where it enters the tower.

0725161245a.jpg

I removed the bolts holding the forward tower base to the deck to measure and locate wire pass-thru hole, to be drilled in the fiberglass.

0724161616.jpg

Last edited:

Marine3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Very Nice! Can you advise on the sizing of the piece of starboard that you used to mount the radio? Thank you

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very Nice! Can you advise on the sizing of the piece of starboard that you used to mount the radio? Thank you
I used 1/4" black SeaBoard (HDPE). I used the factory cubby/storage as a rough template for the shape and location of the screws but cut it a little larger on all sides so my screw holes weren't right on the edge.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hey @BBottoms, does your install orientation affect the gps positioning at all since it’s rotated 90* in 2 directions? Or is it not a factor and you only use the vhf function? Planning on installing mine in the same location (Icom-506) but worried about that factor.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @BBottoms, does your install orientation affect the gps positioning at all since it’s rotated 90* in 2 directions? Or is it not a factor and you only use the vhf function? Planning on installing mine in the same location (Icom-506) but worried about that factor.
Honestly I've never checked the coordinates on the VHF against my Chartplotter, but if it's like most GPS devices I can't imagine it would make a difference how it's mounted. It's possible the GPS satellite reception may be slightly less versus somewhere more 'open', but I doubt fiberglass has much effect on GPS signals. VHF radios with GPS are mounted in all sorts of orientations on various boats without issue and I don't recall anything from the install instructions about it having to be in a certain direction. Further, standalone GPS antennas are not directional, they're only picking up position. Any 'processing' to calculate heading/speed is done internal in the device, based on change in position.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly I've never checked the coordinates on the VHF against my Chartplotter, but if it's like most GPS devices I can't imagine it would make a difference how it's mounted. It's possible the GPS satellite reception may be slightly less versus somewhere more 'open', but I doubt fiberglass has much effect on GPS signals. VHF radios with GPS are mounted in all sorts of orientations on various boats without issue and I don't recall anything from the install instructions about it having to be in a certain direction. Further, standalone GPS antennas are not directional, they're only picking up position. Any 'processing' to calculate heading/speed is done internal in the device, based on change in position.
Gotcha. I think that one has a compass function on it which would be the only directional concern I suppose. Mines got an AIS on it and the screen plots out the surrounding area, my main concern is if that’ll display correctly or I need to adjust.