• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VOIP

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am currently subscribing to Comcast's Triple Play service that gives me internet, phone and cable tv. It was great for a while but now that the special pricing has gone away, I'm looking to break off my phone service as I don't use it much if at all. So, I'm asking you guys for opinions on what VOIP service to go with based on your experience. I really don't use the phone but want it there for safety purposes.

Let me know how much monthly subscriptions and equipment cost. I haven't researched this at all yet so I basically only know a few companies.

Let me have it.......

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you really don't need the land line and only want VOIP as a backup to your cell phone, why not just use Skype on your devices. You can run it on your phone, tablet and PC via wireless over your Internet. I bought $10 worth of credit 4 years ago, and only just re-added $10 this year. I use it to call home from India.

On a slightly different tack--you can also buy a base station that is blutooth and has multiple phones around the house and then just put your phone down to charge when you get home, and it will ring all over the house, and you can make calls from it (them) from the "house" phones. Not sure if they offer this yet...but would be great if they also sent text messages to the house phones....buy ours doesn't do that.....

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Call and tell them you are looking to save some money and thinking about switching service to satellite and they will lower your price. I have the triple play and do this every year or two. Also, if you find a new customer offer cheaper than you are paying the will match it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been very happy with http://www.voipo.com at $149 for 2 years ($6.21 a month). I have been using Voipo since 2011. Voipo sends a box that you plug your existing phone into. Initially I disconnected the phone company wiring from the outside of my house and fed the VOIP service to all the phones in my home. Now I use a multiple line and multiple handset cordless phone. Before Voipo I used Vonage which is $25 a month.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used Vonage for years and never had any issues. You can get a lower cost option than $25...at least last I checked. You just get fewer minutes. But if it's emergency only, then you probably don't need many minutes.

If you just want to keep the number, pay $20 and port the number to Google Voice. Then the number is yours for free forever. You install an app on you phone and whenever anyone calls the old number it rings on your cell phone.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I highly recommend Ooma, I only pay about $5/money (basically the taxes). They have a higher priced package, but not worth it for what I use a home phone for.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never had a landline or VOIP home phone. From a safety perspective, do you mean just for 911?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never had a landline or VOIP home phone. From a safety perspective, do you mean just for 911?
Yes for 911 in case a visitor or babysitter is in the residence or god forbid my son needs help in a few years. Oh, and don't forget that I want all of the solicitors and political candidates calling me. I switched my alarm system to cell when I got rid of the traditional phone line service.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes for 911 in case a visitor or babysitter is in the residence or god forbid my son needs help in a few years. Oh, and don't forget that I want all of the solicitors and political candidates calling me. I switched my alarm system to cell when I got rid of the traditional phone line service.
All my visitors have mobile phones. Even though I have young kids I haven't started using a babysitter, but I assume either they'd have a mobile phone, or I'd leave mine. My sons will probably have their own phones well before they should.

Can't blame you though, I do miss chats with telemarketers...

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At the house my cell service is spotty so we added Magic Jack and have been very happy. I have the Magic Jack app on my phone so when I am away from the house and someone calls the Magic Jack number I can answer it on my cell or let it go to voice mail. Right now the only people that have the Magic Jack number is our family.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
x2 for Magic Jack. We just really have it for emergencies and to have a phone in case the cell phone is charging. And for $29.95 a year, you can't beat it. You just have to make sure you have dependable internet but no issues with sound quality for us.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does Magic Jack require a computer? Or do they provide a stand-alone device like other VoIP services?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got rid of my land line at home and ported the number over to a cell base station that is plugged into the whole house system. It cost me 9 bucks from AT&T. I think the monthly nut is something like 20 bucks - not totally sure, my wife pays the bills. I just bitch about them. :cool:

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does Magic Jack require a computer? Or do they provide a stand-alone device like other VoIP services?
The original Magic Jack required a computer and for that computer to stay on to use the phone. The new Magic Jack Plus can be plugged in directly to your router just like other VOIP devices.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Magic Jack is a stand alone device, mine plugs is to the modem. Then you plug a traditional phone into the Magic Jack. You can buy the unit almost anywhere, I got mine at Wal-Mart for about $45 and paid $99 for 5 years of service or you can do single years for $29.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wait, so how do you guys get away with so few minutes? I mean every sales person that calls talks to my 3 year old daughter. Sometimes for a good while!
We have comcast but just phone and internet. Drop the tv and watch yourself have tons of time, lots more done, and more in the bank.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Call and tell them you are looking to save some money and thinking about switching service to satellite and they will lower your price. I have the triple play and do this every year or two. Also, if you find a new customer offer cheaper than you are paying the will match it.
X2 @Murf'n'surf , I just called them last month when my promo pricing ran out and they re-upped me to the new promo prices... every year just like @Zarrella Just tell 'em your broke and they will hook you up.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use an oBi 110 box and Google Voice. Monthly charge: NOTHING. My google voice number rings my "home phone" and my cell phone. Google was supposed to do away with XMPP starting in May which would have made this obsolete, but mine kept working... and yesterday I received an email from oBiHai that stated that they are now supporting Google Voice going forward! I love being able to forward my GV number to any other number I choose, and to mark certain callers as "spam" so they get a "This number has been disconnected..." message.

I don't think they support 911 out of the box, I think you may be able to add it for a small price. Everyone in my home knows our address, so...

ETA: yes, you can add 911 for a small fee. http://blog.obihai.com/

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered an Ooma box and can't wait to save $50 a month! I always see refurbished Ooma devices for sale, I guess they are low quality?

Anyone have their Ooma box die?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update.... I have purchased the Ooma Telo. It took a long week to arrive from California but I was up and running in 10 minutes. What a breeze and what a stack of money that I will save every month! Call quality is great and I love being able to make calls from their app on my iPhone. The only downfall is that I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my number to be ported over from Comcast.