• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surfing without a tower

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Has anyone tried to get up on a wake surf board without a tower? I have no tower (yet) on my 232 and figured I'd try a transom point pull. I can immediately see that it will be difficult to get up and that I will need to shorten the rope to get into the sweet spot of the wake. But I see also see that pulling me low and forward will be much harder for a beginner. I also don't foresee that I will be able to let go of the rope until I get the hang of it.

My one and only experience with wake surf was behind my brothers Malibu Wakesetter. I had a blast, but I was never able to find the sweet spot to let go of the rope for any length of time without falling out of the wake.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes before I got a tower I used the transom tow point , like you said harder to get up but doable !!!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great to know. Did you find it hard to stay up on the rope with it that low down?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No , once you got up it was the same !!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lol
I only have a wake board and no tower and tried to wake surf!
Don't try it, please, save yourself the embarrassment! It was a lot of laughs though! I rarely have a spotter which is required where i am so we haven't messed with even buying a tower since we still owe money on the boat as well.
Get on the water and ya smile no matter what!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's all we do. I actually start from the starboard cleat to keep the board out of the jet wash during acceleration. All my girls are able to go ropeless. My big ole' butt can;t go ropeless but I still have a blast back there.

Oh and by the way, no ballast, just crew weight.

I would love to spend more on a tower, ballast, etc but with 2 in college, something has to give and it's my boat toy budget

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried to get up on a wake surf board without a tower? I have no tower (yet) on my 232 and figured I'd try a transom point pull. I can immediately see that it will be difficult to get up and that I will need to shorten the rope to get into the sweet spot of the wake. But I see also see that pulling me low and forward will be much harder for a beginner. I also don't foresee that I will be able to let go of the rope until I get the hang of it.

My one and only experience with wake surf was behind my brothers Malibu Wakesetter. I had a blast, but I was never able to find the sweet spot to let go of the rope for any length of time without falling out of the wake.
Just surfed for the 1st time on Sunday. I tried it both ways and never got up using the lower tow point. With the tower felt much easier but I am a beginner as well. If others without the tower are doing it, then you can too. I just think it will just be easier with the tower.

I do know this though...you will have a blast!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you decide you need an elevated tow point for surfing but don't want to drop the major dough on a tower, an Insanity Pylon will do the trick. FWIW we have surfed behind our SX210 with no tower. We, too, use the cleat rather than the normal tow point as it helps keep you out of the wash/blast when trying to get up.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks to a great deals heads up from @Glassman, I'm picking up my ballast bags today The new surf board should be here this afternoon. Hopefully I can get my wife to pull me at 11 mph!

Perfect Pass may be a necessary accessory put on my Christmas list.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@JetPowered did you see my suggestion for the bag fittings? Wakemakers quick connects for the waterbed fittings. Makes life simple.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, yes I did! I haven't had a chance to order them yet. Have the new bags and pump in the back of the truck!

So, I'm guessing that by lots a water in the boat you mean when I pull the pump off water will squirt until I get it capped?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, yes I did! I haven't had a chance to order them yet. Have the new bags and pump in the back of the truck!

So, I'm guessing that by lots a water in the boat you mean when I pull the pump off water will squirt until I get it capped?

Exactly. You loose less with the fly high fittings, plus the pump will connect with a quarter twist.