• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboard Rack Loosens

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2017 212X with the swivel wakeboard racks, which I love, except for the way they mount to the tower. It's a friction fit around the tower tube with a small set screw to hold them in place. First of all, I don't like the idea of snugging a set screw into the scratch free powder coat of the tower. Secondly, I've had the racks loosen up after just a few weeks and twist on the tower. Anyone have better luck, or have any suggestions for keeping them secure?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you use blue loctite?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up drilling mine into the tower tube, tapping the hole and putting a bolt in. No slippy now masser. Cam.

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't use loctite, but not a bad idea. Cam, good solution - I'm not sure why that isn't the OEM install. It would limit the exact mounting location, but its not like there's much variation available anyway.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
And on a side note/question. If you remove the outer clamp from the swivel unit will the underside clamp
(the side that is flat against the alloy swivel assembly) come off or is this piece attached or molded to the
bar directly? I'm looking for an alternative to my factory wake racks on my 212X - 2010 ed. Thanks guys, Wade

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ended up drilling mine into the tower tube, tapping the hole and putting a bolt in. No slippy now masser. Cam.
I hate to dig up this old thread, but with spring just around the corner, I've got boat mods on the mind...
Cam - what did you end up using for hardware? Just one tapped hole in the same spot the as the original "set screw"? I assume you didn't drill any new holes in the racks themselves?

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anyone else done this yet? My concern is that the current hardware is a socket set screw, which is necessary because there is virtually no room for a screw/bolt head. The only real way I see this working is to drill the tower, mount the rack, and then run a tap through the rack and into the tower so the threads line up. One concern is that the tower tube is not thick enough to allow enough threads to catch - the threads are fairly coarse on the stock set screw. Any recommendations?

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My racks moved on my tower the first time out....then I went ape on them and tightened them down...haven't moved since...and that included a bimini trip and a half (the half being going out to rescue one boat half way across and back!)