• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Warning for Yamaha 4.3 Connext

swfl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Picked up a 2022 model 210 fsh about 6 weeks ago. We took it out twice to get used to it and get the 10 hours logged for it's initial service. Took the boat back to the dealer for the 10 hour service, got it back the following week and headed for the boat ramp. After turning the batteries on to start the blower, I noticed the rpm gauges were sweeping from 0 to 8 and back to 0 constantly. This was with the keys off and sitting on the trailer. I turned the keys to the on position to see if it would stop, and nothing changed. I did however notice the 4.3 connext display was blank also. Called the service department and explained what was going on and they suggested putting the boat in the water and see what happens when I start it (they kept claiming that everything worked for them). We tried, and after the engines were running for a couple minutes the display finally came back to life and the rpm gauges began working correctly. The service department suggested it was just a glitch and that I should be fine to use the boat.
Set out for a day of fishing but after a couple of times having the rpm gauges start sweeping with the engines turned off, I lost confidence in their assessment of everything being fine now. Took the boat home to flush and clean, then called the service department back to inform them there is still a problem. They asked me to bring it back and let them see. We trailered the boat back to the dealership where they lifted it off with the forklift and set it back in the water. The technician had the same problem we did, only this time the display would not come back on regardless of what he tried. We left the boat with them with the hope that it would end up being just a loose connection somewhere. No such luck. They called the next day to tell me the 4.3 display is bad and that per Yamaha "it happens". However, the displays are on a nation wide backorder and they cannot provide any kind of timeline for when they will be available.
At the end of the week, I called Yamaha customer service and talked to a representative. I explained to him my anger about having a new boat they are telling me I cannot use without risking my warranty, but at the same time Yamaha is unwilling to provide a new display unit from the manufacturing department. At this point, I'm running out of options. That being said, if anyone has any information about these displays (part numbers, wiring diagrams, pin outs, etc) I would appreciate it. I'm also curious if anyone found a way to upgrade to the 7 inch display in case those are available somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your woes…. Hope you are able to get it fixed asap.

Hey wanted to see if you figured anything out. Mine is out. Dealer wants almost 4k for a 4.3” screen

Hey wanted to see if you figured anything out. Mine is out. Dealer wants almost 4k for a 4.3” screen

Did I read that correctly? $4000 for the connext?

Did I read that correctly? $4000 for the connext?
They quoted me 3900 in parts, 4 in labor, then tax... From what I can tell, its 4 screws and 2 harness plugs. Should be 15 minutes of labor. mine is a 212x but I have to imagine the screens are all the same

They quoted me 3900 in parts, 4 in labor, then tax... From what I can tell, its 4 screws and 2 harness plugs. Should be 15 minutes of labor. mine is a 212x but I have to imagine the screens are all the same

I would trash the Connext and install something better from Raymarine or Simrad to replace it. You may spend some time tinkering to get it working and might even need some converters but should not spend nearly as much.

Is that not covered under warranty?

Is that not covered under warranty?

His boat is a 2017...guessing 5 years on electrical equipment wouldn't be covered unless extended warranty or optional coverage were purchased

Had mine replaced under warranty after 2 months waiting for the part. Had no problems with it since, and the engine hours transrred without a problem.

looked up your boat at Vallely Sport and Marine, the screen is a lot more than I thought it would be but it is roughly $1300 less than what your dealer quoted you. Id have a look at the parts list your dealer made up.

Seems like you can change this part yourself pretty easily, I think all that would be necessary is to have someone with the correct software and harnesses to transfer over the engine hours ..or not. Just keep the old unit with the stored engine hours on it.

Also, I’d call Yamaha corporate and see if they’ll work with you. It’s out of warranty but if it’s a known problem maybe they’ll help out with labor or something.

E139F698-B39D-4D18-A42D-C244577F3535.png

looked up your boat at Vallely Sport and Marine, the screen is a lot more than I thought it would be but it is roughly $1300 less than what your dealer quoted you. Id have a look at the parts list your dealer made up.

Seems like you can change this part yourself pretty easily, I think all that would be necessary is to have someone with the correct software and harnesses to transfer over the engine hours ..or not. Just keep the old unit with the stored engine hours on it.

Also, I’d call Yamaha corporate and see if they’ll work with you. It’s out of warranty but if it’s a known problem maybe they’ll help out with labor or something.

View attachment 189719

Agreed, I ended up ordering the part last night from partzilla for much less. It says in stock but another member said they have been waiting for theirs since April!
I’m not worried about the hardware installation, just whether or not it needs to be programmed by the dealers after the fact

I’ll make sure to update for the next sucker with the same problem!

Had mine replaced under warranty after 2 months waiting for the part. Had no problems with it since, and the engine hours transrred without a problem.

As a fyi ours are $820.00

C9B1F78D-1C2F-42D3-B199-5535E6BE764D.jpeg

Agreed, I ended up ordering the part last night from partzilla for much less. It says in stock but another member said they have been waiting for theirs since April!
I’m not worried about the hardware installation, just whether or not it needs to be programmed by the dealers after the fact

Id call partszilla and make sure it’s in stock, I had dramas with them and the other on line parts places. To me they look like they are all owned by the same people, and when you call the different places you get the same CSR when you call . If it’s not in stock you can check with Dan at Vallely in Bismarck ND, he can tell you when the parts will be available. These parts houses have been running a scam for a couple of years now by saying the part is in stock, they take your money knowing they don’t have the part. Then when a customer finally gets tired of their bs and gets a refund it’s weeks later and they have used your money for operating capital. Hopefully your part is in stock and will ship right out to you.

The unit should be a plug and play type of thing, and come to think of it based on what @swfl1 said, the engine hours should come from the ECU.

I had my 7” replaced and everything transferred with no computer hook up. I was there when it was replaced. Hopefully the 4” is the same.

I had my 7” replaced and everything transferred with no computer hook up. I was there when it was replaced. Hopefully the 4” is the same.

Makes sense..the connext is a reader from the ECU’s.

Id call partszilla and make sure it’s in stock, I had dramas with them and the other on line parts places. To me they look like they are all owned by the same people, and when you call the different places you get the same CSR when you call . If it’s not in stock you can check with Dan at Vallely in Bismarck ND, he can tell you when the parts will be available. These parts houses have been running a scam for a couple of years now by saying the part is in stock, they take your money knowing they don’t have the part. Then when a customer finally gets tired of their bs and gets a refund it’s weeks later and they have used your money for operating capital. Hopefully your part is in stock and will ship right out to you.

The unit should be a plug and play type of thing, and come to think of it based on what @swfl1 said, the engine hours should come from the ECU.
Thanks!

I would trash the Connext and install something better from Raymarine or Simrad to replace it. You may spend some time tinkering to get it working and might even need some converters but should not spend nearly as much.
HAs anyone ever done this? My connect is acting odd sometimes, but I have a new Simrad.

Do you know if anyone susfully did this conversion? I assume it means adding a NMEA backbone and converting Yamaha's proprietary goop into standard. I already have a plotter with system monitoring capability; but I'm unsure on how to do the conversion.

OP: Buddy had this same issue. He had a third party warranty. Dealer told him out of stock with no ETA. He ordered from a website and had it in a week. Brought it back to dealer and his warranty paid for everything, including reimbursing him for the part he paid for.

I have had no good luck with my 2022 FSH I swear every time I get it back from the dealer there is a new issue. Just took the boat out for the first time since having them work on the engine not turning off. Now I have the issue described above. RPM gauges just sweep constantly and the connext screen is dead. I guess it will be back to the dealer again! On a side note at this rate looks like I will be buying the Yamaha YES warranty, since its in the shop more than its not!

Back