• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warranty Void if Non-Authorized Yamaha Boat Repair Shop Performs 10-Hour and/or Winterization?

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Does anyone have quick answer? My dealer is 2.5 hours away from where I keep the boat. I have a reputable boat repair shop .5 miles away. Will I void my warranty by having the close shop perform either the 10 hour service and/or winterization?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Does anyone have quick answer? My dealer is 2.5 hours away from where I keep the boat. I have a reputable boat repair shop .5 miles away. Will I void my warranty by having the close shop perform either the 10 hour service and/or winterization?
@Stan M ..... first question, how long is your warranty? If it is one year I would have the 10 hour done by your dealer. After that it is up to you. I have a five year warranty and that is a different story. Many forum members will have different perspectives. I have close friend who is a five star certified Mercury/Mercruiser technician (they are rare). He was also an area representative for BRP Sea Doo, he also managed a Yamaha dealership and is now an executive with a big marine company. I'll paraphrase his thoughts on warranty work like this. Dealers don't really like warranty work. They rarely get paid their normal shop prices for the work and they often have a lot of paperwork and lobbying to do to secure claims..... and all this while their technician is being tied-up performing your underpaid warranty work - they are losing money again on full shop prices for another client so, in effect, they lose twice. If you have taken your boat to them for service they know its history and you have given them some business. If you bought your boat then took it somewhere else to have the work done why would they "fight" to get you a warranty claim? A friend's family owned a big GM dealership and he said exactly the same thing about automotive product. If you don't "leave something on the table" for the dealer they likely will be luke-warm at best lobbying for you. If you do decide to have the boat serviced at a marine facility other than your selling dealer at least make sure it is a certified Yamaha dealer or later problems could be denied by Yamaha.

A friend had a Yamaha dealer near where he lived that was only allowed to sell Yamaha boats. He wanted to take a new Yamaha PWC to them for first year service and they declined. They said they did not want to "poach" another dealer's service territory saying - we are same brand dealers and have to get along with each other. I had my new SX195 serviced by my selling dealer this year. I told them I already had the Yamaha oil filter and Yamaha oil for the winterizing oil change - but I was quick to add that I had purchased it from their parts department - to make sure I had it. IMO it's called "goodwill". I have purchased two Yamahas from them in the last three years and they have done my service. This year with my new 2020 SX195 there was a significant chip out of it when it arrived from the factory. Normal SOP for Yamaha is to order a gel coat "Spectrum Kit" for it. I wanted a better repair involving patching, sanding, fairing, priming and spray gel coat. That was a much bigger job. The dealer had to impress on Yamaha that this was the way to go - it took some time before Yamaha agreed. I am sure the "goodwill" I had established with the dealership was instrumental in them "going to bat for me".

In 2014 I bought a 38 foot cruiser. That was a $400K boat. A technician at the factory had sprayed the gel coat on too thick on most of the cabin and interior areas. There were spider cracks and even bigger ones everywhere. The repair was $25K and there was another $5K in other problems. Just one of those things. The dealer, who I had purchased a number of boats from and also had them serviced there, was tenacious - the dealership owner finally told the manufacturer to cancel all orders (and there were a lot pending) if my claim was not honoured. The manufacturer agreed and the work was performed by the best glass man within 250 miles.

I had a transmission go on a GM vehicle. The area GM representative met me at the dealer and was himming and hawing about the claim. The dealership manager came into the service manager's office and said, " Mr. X has been a long time GM customer. He is assiduous about following service and looks-after his vehicles which our technicians fight over when he trades. I want this transmission replaced at no charge to him." That was it. "Goodwill".That's my opinion for what it's worth. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm all for relationship building, and of course I understand that at the end of the day dealers and service departments need to make money. BUT, if they offer you a warranty, and especially if you PAY for an extended warranty. It's not the consumer's job to kiss people's ass just to get what they paid for.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unless it's spelled out in the users manual or in the recommended maintenance booklet then it shouldn't be an issue to have someone else do it. I would make sure that the boat repair shop is familiar with servicing Yamaha boats otherwise you may run into problems. I just bought a new Mastercraft and it says right in the engine users manual that the 25 hour service needs to be done by a certified Mastercraft dealership or they will not warranty the engine, they have a 7 year warranty. The 25 hour service on my boat is pretty involved and takes about 4 hours and I had my dealer include it for free when I bought the boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Stan M You will not void your warranty. Do what makes sense for you! It is simple and you can do it yourself if you wish as well as many do here and have done.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am a mechanic by trade, albeit not a boat mechanic. wish i was, it would be easier. However, i do all my own maintenance unless it is covered under warranty in which case i will let them do the work just because of the cost and time. I created a logbook for my vessel and checklist derived from the manual outlining the various inspections and there intervals. Also, i use all OEM recommend fluids, plugs, filters, grease ect... and keep a copy of all the receipts of their purchase. Each maintenance evolution I include the checklist initialed and dated, all receipts in a binder that i made just for the boat. in addition i have the log card they provide in the binder and sign those blocks as well. I have no idea if they would try to deny a warranty claim, however i feel i am well documented if that becomes and issue.
BY the way I think Canuk hit the nail on the head as far as how the stealership views loyalty, but considering the distance you would have to drive i would argue that the smaller shop( if certified) would be my alternative.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm all for relationship building, and of course I understand that at the end of the day dealers and service departments need to make money. BUT, if they offer you a warranty, and especially if you PAY for an extended warranty. It's not the consumer's job to kiss people's ass just to get what they paid for.
@NeoBrew ..... agreed then there's reality.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I am a mechanic by trade, albeit not a boat mechanic. wish i was, it would be easier. However, i do all my own maintenance unless it is covered under warranty in which case i will let them do the work just because of the cost and time. I created a logbook for my vessel and checklist derived from the manual outlining the various inspections and there intervals. Also, i use all OEM recommend fluids, plugs, filters, grease ect... and keep a copy of all the receipts of their purchase. Each maintenance evolution I include the checklist initialed and dated, all receipts in a binder that i made just for the boat. in addition i have the log card they provide in the binder and sign those blocks as well. I have no idea if they would try to deny a warranty claim, however i feel i am well documented if that becomes and issue.
BY the way I think Canuk hit the nail on the head as far as how the stealership views loyalty, but considering the distance you would have to drive i would argue that the smaller shop( if certified) would be my alternative.
@Dixemon.....yes, you have done exactly what I would recommend if you aren't going to use the selling dealer. Your documentation would demonstrate you had appropriately serviced your vehicle - hopefully the manufacturer would respond well. If I only had a 10 hour service and maybe one more service to do before I cleared warranty I might let the dealer have that then just do my own service or have a local guy do it. Who the dealer is and how "forcefully" the dealer approaches the manufacturer seems to be tremendously important as to what the manufacturer covers/approves. Even on this forum we have heard members say the dealers who were higher volume Yamaha buyers got the 2021s first. I've heard that where I live too. :cool:

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@NeoBrew ..... agreed then there's reality.
Understood. This isn’t a debate thread, so I don’t want to get carried away, but my issue with that is that ultimately the consumers DO set the agenda for businesses. If we all tolerate that BS, then they can continue that culture. Businesses cannot exist without us. When they forget that, they should be reminded. First gently, then by taking your business elsewhere.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's in the owner's manual. In short, no you don't have to use the dealer for maintenance.

Untitled-2.jpg

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It's in the owner's manual. In short, no you don't have to use the dealer for maintenance.

View attachment 136326
@haknslash - yes, this is not a debate but a discussion for the benefit of all members who - having purchased Yamahas are smart enough already to make-up their own minds. I noted in the above quotation: ....."qualified mechanic" ......"if a particular failure is caused by operation or maintenance other than as shown in the Owner's Manual that failure might not be covered under warranty".......and who do you think will make that interpretation.....and who will advocate for you - fi not your dealer? As also stated "each Yamaha boat dealer is held responsible for his setup, service and warranty work". So for the next five years my dealer can have a the cost of labor (peanuts) and a small mark-up on oil/filter and plugs once a year for service and take all of the responsibility for warranty. :cool:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Stan M ..... first question, how long is your warranty? If it is one year I would have the 10 hour done by your dealer. After that it is up to you. I have a five year warranty and that is a different story. Many forum members will have different perspectives. I have close friend who is a five star certified Mercury/Mercruiser technician (they are rare). He was also an area representative for BRP Sea Doo, he also managed a Yamaha dealership and is now an executive with a big marine company. I'll paraphrase his thoughts on warranty work like this. Dealers don't really like warranty work. They rarely get paid their normal shop prices for the work and they often have a lot of paperwork and lobbying to do to secure claims..... and all this while their technician is being tied-up performing your underpaid warranty work - they are losing money again on full shop prices for another client so, in effect, they lose twice. If you have taken your boat to them for service they know its history and you have given them some business. If you bought your boat then took it somewhere else to have the work done why would they "fight" to get you a warranty claim? A friend's family owned a big GM dealership and he said exactly the same thing about automotive product. If you don't "leave something on the table" for the dealer they likely will be luke-warm at best lobbying for you. If you do decide to have the boat serviced at a marine facility other than your selling dealer at least make sure it is a certified Yamaha dealer or later problems could be denied by Yamaha.

A friend had a Yamaha dealer near where he lived that was only allowed to sell Yamaha boats. He wanted to take a new Yamaha PWC to them for first year service and they declined. They said they did not want to "poach" another dealer's service territory saying - we are same brand dealers and have to get along with each other. I had my new SX195 serviced by my selling dealer this year. I told them I already had the Yamaha oil filter and Yamaha oil for the winterizing oil change - but I was quick to add that I had purchased it from their parts department - to make sure I had it. IMO it's called "goodwill". I have purchased two Yamahas from them in the last three years and they have done my service. This year with my new 2020 SX195 there was a significant chip out of it when it arrived from the factory. Normal SOP for Yamaha is to order a gel coat "Spectrum Kit" for it. I wanted a better repair involving patching, sanding, fairing, priming and spray gel coat. That was a much bigger job. The dealer had to impress on Yamaha that this was the way to go - it took some time before Yamaha agreed. I am sure the "goodwill" I had established with the dealership was instrumental in them "going to bat for me".

In 2014 I bought a 38 foot cruiser. That was a $400K boat. A technician at the factory had sprayed the gel coat on too thick on most of the cabin and interior areas. There were spider cracks and even bigger ones everywhere. The repair was $25K and there was another $5K in other problems. Just one of those things. The dealer, who I had purchased a number of boats from and also had them serviced there, was tenacious - the dealership owner finally told the manufacturer to cancel all orders (and there were a lot pending) if my claim was not honoured. The manufacturer agreed and the work was performed by the best glass man within 250 miles.

I had a transmission go on a GM vehicle. The area GM representative met me at the dealer and was himming and hawing about the claim. The dealership manager came into the service manager's office and said, " Mr. X has been a long time GM customer. He is assiduous about following service and looks-after his vehicles which our technicians fight over when he trades. I want this transmission replaced at no charge to him." That was it. "Goodwill".That's my opinion for what it's worth. :cool:
I couldn't resist adding some paragraph breaks to your post. I agree with your points - but not all dealers are equal. Some have some insane pricing on parts and labor.

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I couldn't resist adding some paragraph breaks to your post. I agree with your points - but not all dealers are equal. Some have some insane pricing on parts and labor.
And some are not very customer friendly.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Julian - I agree 100% that some dealers are predatory. Hopefully forum members near one of those have an alternative choice. My dealer has a small mark-up on parts and his labor is very reasonable. I book a service appointment and I even get to be right with the boat while service is being done. The bonus for me is the dealer has to dispose of oil and filter and is responsible for all the work done. Plus, as I mentioned for the next 5 years I expect him to advocate for me with Yamaha if I have a warranty issue. He has already insisted that Yamaha repair a hull chip in the proper manner and that cost more - but - made me respect both the dealer and Yamaha. :cool: