• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water coming into engine compartment under power. See pics.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do this - put your camera in the exhaust compartment, put the cleanout lid back on, and then (with engines off, but cleanout hatch open), hose down that cleanout tray - 100% chance it's leaking like an SOB.

GregGreg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So we did that exact thing a few weeks ago. (I even sang the OSHA violation song) Only moving at a few mph. Basically just enough RPMs to replicate the water intrusion. It oozes up between the two fiberglass pieces shown in the video. I cannot see any hoses in there or any that runs there.

I had it hooked to the hose just now and ran the motor and didn't see any leaks. I have very high water pressure and it was "peeing" and pouring out the exhaust at a very good rate. However, I forgot to increase RPMs to see if it will do it. I'll go rehook it up and do it again.

GregGreg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do this - put your camera in the exhaust compartment, put the cleanout lid back on, and then (with engines off, but cleanout hatch open), hose down that cleanout tray - 100% chance it's leaking like an SOB.
I'm not sure of your directions. Hose down that stern area where the clean out tray is while my phone records the exhaust? What is the exhaust compartment?

Do you mean water rushing in like when I stop and the wake washes over the stern? I've sealed that every time I removed this tray with the screws. I'm sure water gets in from the removable hard plastic tray with the handle, but that's not where the water is coming from. The very first video I posted shows the water being forced in from under the fiberglass that the engine sits on and above the hull.Screenshot_20240702_100608_Photos.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

GregGreg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My guess is you have a hose leak....can you get your wife to drive the boat again while you have the clean out tray off (not that I'm recommending you violate OSHA regulations-but you did it already....this is dangerous....don't ever take my advice!) and use your phone to inspect every hose connection back there! Its clearly coming in under pressure.

Does it get water when you run it on the hose? If so, then its not the shaft hose seal, or the bearing. The problem with this is you might not have enough water pressure to replicate the in water pressure-so its not a definitive answer, but helps some.
We did that a few weeks back, that's when I confirmed where water was rushing in. No water came from the hose while running and some RPMs. I did however record and saw a little bit of dust or something blow past the camera when I bumped the throttle. Is there a seal or something within the jet propulsion that sits under that fiberglass floor the motor sits on and above the hull? I've seen what normal seal failures look like. That's crazy and scary with that much water being sprayed everywhere.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do it at the dock first. Increase rpm to 3500 while on neutral, well tied to dock, and you might just see it without having to do acrobatics.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I replied to this a long time ago but I don’t see the post anywhere. My boat was bringing in water in that same area you’re mentioning. It turned out to be the hose clamps that secure the clean out tube to the lips of the molding at the bottom. It was not secure. There’s a clamp at the top and bottom of the tube. The one at the bottom climbed up the tube instead of tightening around the lip which left a gap for the water to go through. You’re saying your water is warm, so this may not be the problem. But the symptoms are the same as what I experienced so thought I should mention it.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Starting at 56 seconds in your video in post 21, it looks like your exhaust is not connected to what looks like your water locker.
At about 5 seconds in your video in post 18 the red fiberglass looks burned possibly from hot exhaust gasses?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I replied to this a long time ago but I don’t see the post anywhere. My boat was bringing in water in that same area you’re mentioning. It turned out to be the hose clamps that secure the clean out tube to the lips of the molding at the bottom. It was not secure. There’s a clamp at the top and bottom of the tube. The one at the bottom climbed up the tube instead of tightening around the lip which left a gap for the water to go through. You’re saying your water is warm, so this may not be the problem. But the symptoms are the same as what I experienced so thought I should mention it.
He's referring to the clamp in this photo.

Screenshot_20240703_101613_YouTube.jpg

My only question about that is that this would mean your clean out plug is not seated properly (if its coming through under pressure).

All your videos point to a leak, under pressure, from a cooling hose under the clean out tray, not in the engine compartment.