• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Water in ski locker

Jacob L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought my first jet boat and know limited info. It is a 2018 SX190. It was taking on water between the engine and hull and water was coming into the ski locker area. I had it in the water for about 2 hours and the bilge would come on but not often not long. When I pulled it out and took plugs out (yes they were in) it took about 2 mins for it to drain. So, I put it in the shop to have it looked at. The mechanic said it had three leaks and the manhole cover area needed to be resealed so the water would go out the drain hole. I understand one was where the clean out rubber thick tube connects to the hull. Another was something around the intake area. And the last was the seal to the cleanout plug. They fixed the bottom two and said they sprayed silicone around the cleanout plug due to the part has been "in transit" for about 8 days. They also resealed the manhole cover area. I was told they ran it two days and one day before I got it back with no leaks. I took it out today. I did not notice any water when I looked in the manhole but water was in the cleanout area (which I have been told is normal). I was out for about 2 hours (running and floating some of each) and during that time the bilge only came on once or twice and for just short time. All this seemed good but there was water still coming into the ski locker. It gets more or less water depending on if the weight is in the front or back of the boat. I had the mechanic meet me at the lake and look at it. He said I need a drain plug in it and water coming in is from water coming over the back of the boat.

Should I be concerned if water is coming in the ski locker? Does it mean there is still a leak somewhere that hasn't been found? Or should I put a plug in it and let the bilge just work when needs?

That's a lot of water. Definitely don't ignore it or you may have bigger problems down the road. The bilge should not come on at all unless you take a big wave over the bow or get caught in the rain. My 2020 is completely dry and no water comes out of the drain plugs no matter how long I'm on the water. Water on top of the cleanout plug is normal, but it should not enter inside the boat.

If it were my boat, I would totally dry it out and then take it to the lake and float with some weight in it and start inspecting with a flashlight in the bilge and the inspection hatches under the swim deck. Check the condition of your drain plug o-rings and spray with silicone grease to puff them up if they are old or replace. Start to consider loose nuts around the jet pump, exhaust, etc. Fill up the hole above the cleanout plug with water and look inside. Run the motor while inspecting to see if it happens while floating or only under way.

Start with the easiest things to inspect that are below the waterline first.

“Water coming over the back” always seems to be the generic explanation. I wonder if it’s ever the real culprit?

I have a new to me, 2021 195s and also noted a fair amount of water making its way to the ski locker after a short amount of time. After troubleshooting a number of different possible sources, I finally noticed that water seemed to be leaking in the spot where the steering cable goes through the transom and that the silicone wasn’t very complete around it, especially the bottom. I pulled that off and resealed it and that seemed to make a big difference. I also did the bees wax thing around the manhole cover which may have helped, too.

“Water coming over the back” always seems to be the generic explanation. I wonder if it’s ever the real culprit?

If I had to wager a guess, I would say 98% of the time, no, and the 2% would be due to severely choppy waters

Does it get more water in when weight is towards the bow, and less when it's towards the stern?

Thank you all. I took it out today and ran it pretty hard pulling a tube and floating. After running and then pulling, the bilge did come on and water was in the ski locker but not much. Stopped and anchored, turned on bilge and it ran for about 30 secs before no more water. After floating for about 45 mins, turned on the bilge again to see and no water came out. So nothing while sitting still. Then went for longer ride and noticed bilge came on during the ride (I didn't turn it on, switch was off). When got to where I was going, I turned on the bilge and a lot of water just kept coming. Opened the ski locker and it was the most that has been in there. Checked and the water was hot. So not from the outside. So looks like shop fixed external leaks. Yay, one fix.

Saw another thread on here and basically it is from an engine leak somewhere is the best guess. Talked to shop and going to put it back in the shop early next week to see if can be fixed now.

Question is, is it anything I can do myself or need professional services?

Back