• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Water in the Bilge.

2devine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok I've had my 242LS for 2 seasons so far. However, I am noticing a lot of water coming out the drain plug after shirt trips on the water. No hard reverse maneuvers. No rain or excess anything. I get about two to three gallons. 1st question is this ok? 2 why are the bilge pumps not taking care of this? is there one in the bottom of the boat ? 3. Where should I check for hoses and where for a leak. The engine compartment is dry? Thanks.

Your bilge pump is in the engine compartment and takes quite a bit of water to get to it. I find that sometimes I will get small amounts of water and sometimes more. Things to check if a large amount of water persists: Is the water hot or cold? If hot, you need to check for engine or exhaust cooling leaks. If cold you can check for leaks by removing the inspection cover, raise front of boat, with drain plug in add water with hose to bilge and look for leaks. Have you had any large waves on these short trips? Water has been known to come in through the anchor drain.

1. It is not uncommon. 2-3 gallons is a little much. I'd research where its coming from
  2. The bilge sits a little forward of the transom, so it doesn't pump what is all the way back there.
  3. With that little, it is likely a through the hull fitting (speedo, depth finder screws etc)
Do a search for leaks here in the General forum and you should find lots of threads.

First approach is to put a hose in the boat while on the trailer..and look for leaks on the outside.
Second - One of the fastest ways to find the leak is to put the boat in the water and remove the clean out tray and eyeball for leaks.

Thanks I will do this today. From what I do remember the water wasn't hot. I didn't hit any waves just towing the kids in a tube very slow so I wasn't on plane and creating a huge wake if that makes a difference.

When you stop while pulling the tube your wake washes over the swim deck. Some of that water goes into the clean out plug area. There is a drain in there but it is small and takes time to drain. If there is a leak in the silicone seal between the bilge cover (clean out plug tray) and the hull then water will leak into the bilge.

I had water getting into the bilge via the bilge cover last year. This year I removed it to work in there and found that someone had previously removed it and had not recaulked it. I caulked it when I reinstalled and had a completely dry bilge for several outings. Then I had to open the bilge to replace the transducer. When I did I figured out why the last person did not reseal it. I spent more time prying up the bilge cover than any other part of the replacement. I resealed lightly when I reinstalled and now I have an almost dry bilge.

Thanks for the great replies. It's what makes this forum so great. My question is when you say clean out tray are you talking the tray between my plug holes ? Pics please for the slow people.

You got it! Lift up the hatch in the back where you get access to the plugs. There will be an access port under it. Unscrew that, then reach inside and unscrew the hose clamps that hold the clean out tubes to the tray. Then remove all the screws around the top edge of the tray and lift the tray. There will be a drain hose attached too....mine is long enough I leave it attached.

I was getting a lot of water last summer. The dealer said the scupper was leaking. They fixed it but occasionally if I have a bunch of kids jumping off and playing around the swim deck I'll get water in there. Usually when splashing and dripping they will fill he area around the clean outs and the cup holder back there, I had to re-caulk around the cup holders.

Back