• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water on top of the clean out plugs?

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So when I got home I checked the plugs there was 4 or 5 " of water sitting on top of the plugs. Had to stick my hand down into the water to pull the plugs and drain it. Is this normal? If so where did the water come from? If not WHERE DID THE WATER COME FROM???

This is normal. When you slow down from cruising speeds (especially quickly) water typically comes up over the swim platform and gets into the clean out area.

x2 Normal, you'll routinely pull the boat out on the trailer and have quite a bit of water standing on top of the clean out plugs. I've also loaded at the end of the day and had very little.

@primedoc
Haha get used to it.. have you pinned or poofed you clean outs yet? Lots of options to buy or DYI and save.

This is normal. When you slow down from cruising speeds (especially quickly) water typically comes up over the swim platform and gets into the clean out area.

That's exactly what I suspected / thought, but wasn't sure so thought I would ask anyway. Although I have been reading and discussing here and the other site for months I have this paranoid fear that I'm going to do something stupid and screw the boat up.

@primedoc
Haha get used to it.. have you pinned or poofed you clean outs yet? Lots of options to buy or DYI and save.

I have the pins, but have not had the time to install them yet...been to busy being on the water in the last 36 hours since I picked it up. Going back out again today!!

F'n great feeling that first throttle punch of the day...I'm still doing overdue mods..that damn scupper upgrade had been waiting for 5 years..What a PITA! lol arms and hands all cut up ribs bruised.. be forewarned.
Enjoy your boat and know you have some 300+ JB.net's that have not hit the H2O yet in the cabin with ya.

Do you (freshwater) guys start your engines for a couple of seconds once out of the water to blow out any remaining coolant water once back on the trailer or is it supposed to self-drain? I can't remember.

I leave my boat running as the wife drives us out the water. Rev her up a few times to blow out excess. NO more than 15 seconds!!!
Then shut it off for a couple of minutes. Then crank and rev again.
Note: yesterday when I pulled my exhaust water box to change out the scupper. it still had water in it..5months since I was last in the water.. I was like WTF! Scarry.

Do you (freshwater) guys start your engines for a couple of seconds once out of the water to blow out any remaining coolant water once back on the trailer or is it supposed to self-drain? I can't remember.

I always blow mine out at the end of a day on the lake. I believe the manual states you are supposed to.

When I remember to I do. I'd just rather not have as much water sitting in the water boxes.

@primedoc ..Are you driving and texting? Lol...

I definetely do. The wife and I have a launching and loading routine. As soon as the boat is loaded and being pulled out the water she hits the throttle a few times. Then I park and supervise the kids doing the clean up.:)

Like they said the water comes over the back and it also gets on top of the plugs from everyone going in and out of the water and standing on the rear deck. I also leave the motors running as she pulls the teailer out of the water and bump the throttles a few times to blow it out.

This has been discussed many times. I have no doubt that people drip water onto the deck, or that water can come up onto the platform as you bring the boat to a stop. But those aren't the only sources of water in the clean out tubes.

On our SX210 the swim platform isn't as close to the water as some of the newer models. Also the second level of the swim deck is high. Water rarely comes up onto that second level on our boat. Also there is a drain system around the clean out hatch which may or may not be effective.

I have actually taken the boat out alone, driven a few miles, come to a stop while observing the following wave that didn't come up onto the swim platform, and there was water on top of the clean out plugs. I'm convinced that water somehow finds its way past the plug gasket, as unlikely as that seems.

I find water on top of the plugs 95% of the time.

I also drain 1 to 2 gallons of water out of the transom drain plug after almost every ride. I believe the source of this water also comes from the clean out tubes which overflow into the bilge.

I've had the boat for almost 5 years and no longer am concerned about these things. I pull the plugs which dumps the water, and I remove the drain plug to let the water out of the bilge. I leave the plugs in the tubes but turned 90 degrees so they can dry out. I reinstall the transom plug right away so it isn't forgotten on the next boating day.

Last edited:
There can be "blow-by" from the pumps that gets around the seals of the plugs.... this would fill the cleanout plug tunnels with water without having the wake wash over the back of the boat. If the tunnel hose is not secure and tight, water can enter the true bilge as well..... Make sure your rubber seals on the plugs are flexible, clean and well lubricated to prevent this...

A lot of times water in the plug holes IS from drainage and wake wash, but then sometimes it isn't......

When we remove the brass bilge plug at the end of our 2 day trips, no water comes out so even if there is water in the plug holes, we don't sweat it if we are doing water-sports....

If you want to mess with your buddy at the ramp, ask him to hook up the transom tie downs, then pull a water-topped clean out plug!! And get ready for one of these… :blackeye:

I agree with @jdonalds. In my case anyway it is definitely plugs leaking somehow and it really doesnt concern me anymore either. The other leak I have is the rub rail at the rear of the swim platform.

I agree with @jdonalds. In my case anyway it is definitely plugs leaking somehow and it really doesnt concern me anymore either.
I not only agree, but am absolutely convinced this is a fact. I also do NOT believe it comes from waves backwashing on the deck (the common belief). Yes waves wash up there when you stop but very little, if any, gets to the clean outs
image.jpg
The reason I'm so certain of this is because I use the Nerf Foam Footballs stuffed in those tubes with a very snug fit. At the end of the day the top of the footballs and tubes is bone dry but under the footballs it's filled with water. It's not like the plug seals are double-O-ring seals. They are simple rubber flaps that sit in a wide groove. Not exactly water tight. I've seen this for over 8 years and not worried

One thing for sure is don't leave the water there. The plugs will swell up and get very hard to remove.

Last edited:
Back