• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

water when draining question

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched the forums and haven't found a thread that details a good way to diagnose water in the hull.

My cleanout plugs are dry when I use the boat, so no water is getting by there
My swim platform and decking are sealed
after running boat all afternoon and before pulling from water an inspection of the stern hull through the swim platform shows very little water below the exhaust and near the drain plug.
When I remove the boat from the water and get it on incline and remove the drain, I have 2-3 gallons of water coming out, without fail every time.
The water coming out is not hot/warm, it is the same temp as the bay water i'm boating in.

I'm at a loss for how to diagnose this, or if I should just not care.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some have had water leaking into the hull where anchor locker drain is located.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check to make sure the three screws that hold the exhaust outlet gasket are good and tight. Black serrated thing on back of boat on left or right of jet nozzle. Its on the hull, not the jet nozzle assembly

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bigb_99 Here is what happens at the anchor locker drain: When going fast, water is forced in from the outside. Instead of flooding the anchor locker it gets diverted between the hull and the anchor locker. The anchor locker stays dry, but water gets in. I don't know if this is possible source of water, but others have had this problem.

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So nobody has suggested yet. the surefire way to find the leak.

But your boat on an incline, plug is, raise the trailer jack all the way.

Get a water hose into the engine compartment and start fillingas high as the bottom of the engines if you have to.

where water leaks out is where water is leakng in.

One time i think mine was from a screw fthat was missing from the depth gauge transducer.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First things first, make sure when your on the water the bilge switch is in the ON position. Your water issue could be the rub rail, scupper, any other thru-hull fitting, cleanout tray drain hose or fitting, drain plug seeping, black cleanout tubes not 100% secured or a number of things. One thing you can do is to remove the cleanout tray and check all of the hose clamps back there and make sure they're tight. If your scupper is plastic it is highly recommended to go to a SS one. Most times when I jack the trailer up al the way I will get a gallon or so of water out of the drain. I'm not worried about it because when I wet slip the bilge does not run so that tells me that I'm getting water in when underway and if it's only a gallon each time out, I'll live with it.

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So nobody has suggested yet. the surefire way to find the leak.

But your boat on an incline, plug is, raise the trailer jack all the way.

Get a water hose into the engine compartment and start fillingas high as the bottom of the engines if you have to.

where water leaks out is where water is leakng in.

One time i think mine was from a screw fthat was missing from the depth gauge transducer.
I will give this a shot

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First things first, make sure when your on the water the bilge switch is in the ON position. Your water issue could be the rub rail, scupper, any other thru-hull fitting, cleanout tray drain hose or fitting, drain plug seeping, black cleanout tubes not 100% secured or a number of things. One thing you can do is to remove the cleanout tray and check all of the hose clamps back there and make sure they're tight. If your scupper is plastic it is highly recommended to go to a SS one. Most times when I jack the trailer up al the way I will get a gallon or so of water out of the drain. I'm not worried about it because when I wet slip the bilge does not run so that tells me that I'm getting water in when underway and if it's only a gallon each time out, I'll live with it.
Replaced scupper with SS several weeks ago and put new clamps on all hoses.

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check to make sure the three screws that hold the exhaust outlet gasket are good and tight. Black serrated thing on back of boat on left or right of jet nozzle. Its on the hull, not the jet nozzle assembly
I will check these as I didn't when I did the scupper and put new clamps on hoses. Thanks

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
lock your cleanout plug and pour water on top of it, it should hold water for long period otherwise its not tightly sealed thats why its dry when you look at it. Its possible that water is leaking there while underway if its not sealed completely.

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lock your cleanout plug and pour water on top of it, it should hold water for long period otherwise its not tightly sealed thats why its dry when you look at it. Its possible that water is leaking there while underway if its not sealed completely.
I'll give this a try too. thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
at rest without additional weight on your boat it will pool water towards the center of the boat not the rear (where the bilge is, who would have thunk???), we had zipper find this out and had to place a ballast bag on the rear deck during wet slipping to activate the bilge,

so you could have an aft leak that you only see traces of while at rest,

it could also be your fancy pop up cleats, when we surf and our ballasted down we get water through those, but I would guess rub rail after you rule out the other through hull fittings,

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put the nose of trailer up high last night and filled the bilge area until it reached the bottom of the engines. The only thing I saw was a slight hint of a water drop on the steering shaft at the rubber covering where it telescopes. I'll check the threads on how to change out the anchor locker drain, but that area is dry after each use. Hard to imagine getting 2 gallons of water in the boat, but my anchor rope not being wet. Who knows? IMG_4414.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jet230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll give this a try too. thanks
Did you ever end up giving this a try? If you don't caulk the edges of the cleanout tray and tighten the top clamps of the cleanout tubes, that very well could be the source. Tighten them through the access hatches. Water can wash over the swim deck when coming off plane and the drain in the clean out area won't get it all out.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are starting with a dry boat, dry looking down the ski locker drain with the bow jacked up on a block of wood. The entry spots have been mentioned above. If other areas are dry, anchor locker thru hull not an issue on these, clean out tray dry, new scupper, no water visibly entering while looking thru the inspection port in the cleanout tray, I will agree with Scotts answer on the rubrail at the stern as water may flow over the lower swimplatform during a quick stop. My issues with water were all rainwater entering while at a slip. Where I could not jack the boat up. I would get water to pump out when the bow was at its highest point, just before you get the boat on plane.