• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wave quality on Surf models?

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I currently have a 2007 AR230. I actually got it surfable but it's a process for a mediocre wave.

I'm very interested in upgrading to a 22 or 25 foot surf model. (I don't want a surf specific boat.) There seems to be very little information and reviews on the quality of the wave produced.

Can anyone provide some feedback or a link to some good reviews specifically covering the wave produced?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Surf wave will always need help on these jet boats. Yes they can create a wave out of box with built in ballast. Yes, the automatic "booster" is a nice option, but if you really want to surf these boats, you'll still end up buying lead weight or a ballast bag for the rear, or both.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It’s a bit of work, way more than flipping a couple buttons on a mastercraft or Supra. But, we can run nearly 50mph and those boats can go 30. Lol

2019 242x. Wake Wedge from @jcyamaharider, swim deck ballast bag from @jcyamaharider

Here’s a video of me. 400lbs surfing ropeless.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We demoed and tried surfing behind the 222xD. Great boat but not a “surf” boat. Was really hoping initially to stay in a Yamaha as we’ve been brand loyal. But just too much extra needed to make them any good for surfing. If your goal is to surf - go with a dedicated surf boat. Here’s the difference Supreme ZS232-stock ballast. 2 crew:IMG_7548.jpeg
Yamaha with 800lb ballast & 4 crew onboard-
IMG_7573.jpeg
oh … she can’t do 50… but she can squeak out 42😝

Last edited:

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s a bit of work, way more than flipping a couple buttons on a mastercraft or Supra. But, we can run nearly 50mph and those boats can go 30. Lol

2019 242x. Wake Wedge from @jcyamaharider, swim deck ballast bag from @jcyamaharider

Here’s a video of me. 400lbs surfing ropeless.
Any more info on this wake wedge. I bought the jet wash deflector from jet boat pilot for my 2007 AR230. Pretty sure any kind of wedge is not compatible with my boat.

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We demoed and tried surfing behind the 222xD. Great boat but not a “surf” boat. Was really hoping initially to stay in a Yamaha as we’ve been brand loyal. But just too much extra needed to make them any good for surfing. If your goal is to surf - go with a dedicated surf boat. Here’s the difference Supreme ZS232-stock ballast. 2 crew:View attachment 205383
Yamaha with 800lb ballast & 4 crew onboard-
View attachment 205384
oh … she can’t do 50… but she can squeak out 42😝
I wonder if the bigger 25 foots with more ballast are any better.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any more info on this wake wedge. I bought the jet wash deflector from jet boat pilot for my 2007 AR230. Pretty sure any kind of wedge is not compatible with my boat.
Sure. A lot more info. It was originally designed for your boat, as I recall. @jcyamahariders wife

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if the bigger 25 foots with more ballast are any better.
Physics says they need more ballast to equal the displacement depth of the 222. Smaller the boat the deeper you can sink it = taller wave. Longer boat often means longer flatter wave. So longer boat needs more sink

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@lakesuperior Our 08 AR230 had the best wave over all the boats in my opinion. But we did have it plumbed custom with lots of ballast. The setup should be documented somewhere on the forum under @jcyamaharider.

I remember the first day when we bought our 17 242X I was pretty disappointed in the wave. Just had to figure out our ballast setup but once we did now we love it.

What's your setup currently ?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@lakesuperior Our 08 AR230 had the best wave over all the boats in my opinion. But we did have it plumbed custom with lots of ballast. The setup should be documented somewhere on the forum under @jcyamaharider.

I remember the first day when we bought our 17 242X I was pretty disappointed in the wave. Just had to figure out our ballast setup but once we did now we love it.

was just watching those videos besides one you just linked. I see you have a suck gate on the non surf side. Seems to def be helping on the boat.

Ive began dabbling with a gate on my boat again and so far with where im putting it and the angle its helping more than its hurting. I didnt wanna believe it, since for longest time everything pointed to them not helping, but on a jetboat with either the wakewedge or wake booster getting the one jet outta way the delayed convergence is welcomed

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jet Boat Pilot jet wash deflector. I've had the best luck with a 800lb cylinder Sumo bag placed on the second swim deck and pushed over to the surf side. I've messed around with some other combos but this one works ok.

This guy did internal bags himself and then uses the transom bag.

If a $90k new surf Yamaha is still going to require a transom bag for a decent wave I may actually take the time to install the internal bags on my boat and buy the transom bag. I do have my boat looking pretty dam good with a wrap and new upholstery. Would be nice to just keep it.

IMG_0656.JPG

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jet Boat Pilot jet wash deflector. I've had the best luck with a 800lb cylinder Sumo bag placed on the second swim deck and pushed over to the surf side. I've messed around with some other combos but this one works ok.

If a $90k new surf Yamaha is still going to require a transom bag for a decent wave I may actually take the time to install the internal bags on my boat and buy the transom bag. I do have my boat looking pretty dam good with a wrap and new upholstery. Would be nice to just keep it.

View attachment 205427
I think wise choice- see what you can get out of your current boat. If you want to get serious later, invest in dedicated surf boat.

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think wise choice- see what you can get out of your current boat. If you want to get serious later, invest in dedicated surf boat.
I am on the big lake usually and not always surfing so trying to find the best Yamaha option with a decent wave.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am on the big lake usually and not always surfing so trying to find the best Yamaha option with a decent wave.
Ballast, ballast & more ballast

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 205427
Yeah that guys setup was almost an exact copy of what my husband did on our AR230 back in 2013 except we added the ballast pump mod where the light pole dent is and he added control through an app. We had an 1100 lb bag under the port seat. And we put another 750 on top of that seat. Think total we had was 3200 lbs or something total. We were super listed wave was a monster. That was before Jerry developed the transom bag.

We did testing on a 25ft 255XD with a wakewedge, internal ballast, and the transom bag. We thought the wave was comparable to our 17 242X. The owners said they loved the difference and decided to stop using the automatic wake booster. Most people don't get to experience the difference between the wave quality of a Wake booster wave and the wake wedge wave. You can look at videos and pictures and say wow looks great. I have surfed every option on the market and everyone one is different. Some people want extreme simplicity and don't care what their wave quality is. Most riders are just standing still and they are happy with that. Didn't strokes for different folks.

We made the decision not to upgrade boats to get the same outcome for surfing. The money difference didn't warrant the other bells and whistles. When we upgraded from our 08 AR230 the only thing that made me happy was the hinged seats !

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
was just watching those videos besides one you just linked. I see you have a suck gate on the non surf side. Seems to def be helping on the boat.

Ive began dabbling with a gate on my boat again and so far with where im putting it and the angle its helping more than its hurting. I didnt wanna believe it, since for longest time everything pointed to them not helping, but on a jetboat with either the wakewedge or wake booster getting the one jet outta way the delayed convergence is welcomed
In that video we spent the summer using a Ronix 8 along with our wake wedge. We didn't see much change to warrant the drag and making it harder to steer. Our wave was great without it.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

In that video we spent the summer using a Ronix 8 along with our wake wedge. We didn't see much change to warrant the drag and making it harder to steer. Our wave was great without it.

lakesuperior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah that guys setup was almost an exact copy of what my husband did on our AR230 back in 2013 except we added the ballast pump mod where the light pole dent is and he added control through an app. We had an 1100 lb bag under the port seat. And we put another 750 on top of that seat. Think total we had was 3200 lbs or something total. We were super listed wave was a monster. That was before Jerry developed the transom bag.

We did testing on a 25ft 255XD with a wakewedge, internal ballast, and the transom bag. We thought the wave was comparable to our 17 242X. The owners said they loved the difference and decided to stop using the automatic wake booster. Most people don't get to experience the difference between the wave quality of a Wake booster wave and the wake wedge wave. You can look at videos and pictures and say wow looks great. I have surfed every option on the market and everyone one is different. Some people want extreme simplicity and don't care what their wave quality is. Most riders are just standing still and they are happy with that. Didn't strokes for different folks.

We made the decision not to upgrade boats to get the same outcome for surfing. The money difference didn't warrant the other bells and whistles. When we upgraded from our 08 AR230 the only thing that made me happy was the hinged seats !
Thank you for all of this great information. I have many questions and may just call. I assume you and your husband own Gantlin Products.

One question right away though... does 3200 pounds of ballast wear out the motors? That's a lot of weight.