• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What are the chances Yamaha comes out with a OEM Surf Package?

mike serement

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thinking about swapping boats. I've had a 2009 212ss tricked like a 212x and love the boat but want a standard OEM surf package system. What do you think the chances of Yamaha coming out with one in 2016 like the Chapparal or new Four Winns with the forward penta? Let me know your thoughts....

By "standard surf package" do you mean - Ballast and surf gate or just Ballast like the "X" has?

I think they'd be dumb not to add it as at least an option to add at the dealer!

It is such a large market that I believe Yamaha will launch a true wake sports boat.

Yes, some type of wedge, surf gate, etc that will help shape the wake......something other than just ballast.

It is such a large market that I believe Yamaha will launch a true wake sports boat.

I could definitely see Yamaha offering a wake boat in the near future.
If so/when - I'll be trading in for one.

I can't believe that they put a center console bay boat on the market before tackling a chunk of the dedicated tow boat market.

They won't even sell wake surf boards in their accessorie catalog. I would give it a gigantic 0% chance they do.

I am happy with the wave our Yamahas put out and will probably never change. With waves that look like this what is the need?

wake2.jpg

I wouldn't see them doing this a sit would take some major structure changes to their hulls I would imagine. Adding hundreds of pounds of ballast (enough to get good wakes to pull sales from Malibu, MC, etc) would be detrimental and they'd ahve to really lighten their capacity, or beef up the hulls. There's a reason the dedicated tow boats are 1,000 lbs or more heavier (the 23LSV is 4,500 lbs dry)

Gonna have to agree with @Williamsone46 on this one. Talked to a Yamaha factory rep about why Yamaha isn't doing something with surfing about a year ago and he said they talked about it and their corporate analysis was that wakesurfing was a 5 year fad. True story.

I wouldn't see them doing this a sit would take some major structure changes to their hulls I would imagine. Adding hundreds of pounds of ballast (enough to get good wakes to pull sales from Malibu, MC, etc) would be detrimental and they'd ahve to really lighten their capacity, or beef up the hulls. There's a reason the dedicated tow boats are 1,000 lbs or more heavier (the 23LSV is 4,500 lbs dry)

And they are getting deeper and heavier. The new 20' MC X20 is 4800lbs dry. That is 1 large heavy 20'er.

Might have something to do with liability as well......

Gonna have to agree with @Williamsone46 on this one. Talked to a Yamaha factory rep about why Yamaha isn't doing something with surfing about a year ago and he said they talked about it and their corporate analysis was that wakesurfing was a 5 year fad. True story.

From what I understand it has to do with liability & legal issues. With over 3000 + lbs of thrust coming from each jet, I can't see Yamaha coming anywhere close to wakesurfing.

Might have something to do with liability as well......

Agree!

I am happy with the wave our Yamahas put out and will probably never change. With waves that look like this what is the need?

View attachment 19455

Your wave does look incredible. You guys have proven that with enough ballast weight and the wedge, our boats are quite capable. But for me, (and I'm only speaking for me) - I don't want ballast bags sitting on my seats or on the floor, I don't want bags tied to my swim platform, ( I know my wife and kids wouldn't like it) and I certainly don't want to attach, remove and flip a wedge everytime. I also don't want a heavily listed boat. To me - all that's a pain in the ass. Again - that just me.

My attraction to the new wakeboats is simple - hidden ballasts, separate ballasts controls, Surf tabs, PowerWedge, the surfgates - all of it. And you don't have to spend $100k to get one. A new Ski Supreme can be had for around $63k. That said - I truly enjoy my 212x. It does everything I need it to do. However, I would trade it in for a Yamaha wakeboat if they decided to build one. But realizing that to offer a true wakeboat would require a completely new hull, chances are they won't do it.

@octavio3311 Brings up good points. Yamaha boats are not for everyone and visa versa. I love the fact that I can go fill up ballast surf for a whole day, dump ballast and go pull up and beach on the sand bar and camp there over night. Turn around the next morning go to a cove, Sit off the back and fish. I have had this discussion many times with friends of both variety of boats. If all I did was put on the water fill up and surf and then put it back on the trailer you better believe I would have a dedicated wake boat. You can not beat something when that is what it was designed to do. I am VERY happy having the best of both worlds with my do all boat.

Interesting thoughts everyone, I appreciate your input.

Anyone see this posted on their Instagram today? Coincidence?
upload_2015-4-2_15-37-10.png

Back