• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is this thing?

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It was in the compartment above the glove box when I took delivery today. Anyone know what this is?

04BF319D-15D3-4CA8-8710-E52514B0FAF4.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Tower bracket.

if you fold the tower down, you’ll use that to go between the boat and the rear leg of the tower to hold it secure when folded.

You should have 3 bars. 2 for the tower legs and the 3rd goes on the bimini

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In your pic, the piece with the big head on top goes on the bimini when folded. The straight bars go on the legs.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In your pic, the piece with the big head on top goes on the bimini when folded. The straight bars go on the legs.
Thanks for the quick feedback, Abe!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick feedback, Abe!
Sure. Just keep them in the boat for emergencies.

They take some trial and error to get them to fit right, the first time. I ended up needing them this year when I stored it away for the winter.

Also, just a heads up... keep an eye on that knob/bolt that secures the bimini in place. Keep it tight and consider a secondary method to secure the bimini frame. I had that knob come loose while towing and ended up with a fair bit of damage. Others (at least 1 fell out and a couple just loosened) have reported a similar issue, but luckily did not have any damage.

I will either secure mine this year with a light weight locktite (I will have to undo it next winter), or some form of Ratchet strap or extra heavy zip tie.

Also, get in the habit of checking the tower pins to make sure they are in the locked position. I’ve never had any trouble with mine, but others have reported that they get loose over time and turn to the unlock position easily.

Most of all, enjoy it!! It looks great!

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

They take some trial and error to get them to fit right, the first time. I ended up needing them this year when I stored it away for the winter.

Also, just a heads up... keep an eye on that knob/bolt that secures the bimini in place. Keep it tight and consider a secondary method to secure the bimini frame. I had that knob come loose while towing and ended up with a fair bit of damage. Others (at least 1 fell out and a couple just loosened) have reported a similar issue, but luckily did not have any damage.

I will either secure mine this year with a light weight locktite (I will have to undo it next winter), or some form of Ratchet strap or extra heavy zip tie.

Also, get in the habit of checking the tower pins to make sure they are in the locked position. I’ve never had any trouble with mine, but others have reported that they get loose over time and turn to the unlock position easily.

Great info...thanks.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So there should 3 pieces? is the 242X-E different? Mine didn’t come with any so when I contacted the dealer after delivery, he sent me two bars? Was I supposed to get three? Anyone got a clearer picture of the tower brackets for a 242X-E?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So there should 3 pieces? is the 242X-E different? Mine didn’t come with any so when I contacted the dealer after delivery, he sent me two bars? Was I supposed to get three? Anyone got a clearer picture of the tower brackets for a 242X-E?
Correct. When you fold the tower, you have to undo the bimini frame knob so the frame can rotate back as the tower comes down. There’s an adapter bracket about 1’ long that will then secure the bimini frame in place. I also have ‘19 242x. I’ll look around and see if I can find a pic. You can sort of see it above. It’s got a little base on an angle on both ends.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Found it.... not a very good pic, but here's the official part. Looks like you better call the dealer... that thing's $80.

Part #30, plus a bolt and a couple washers.

It's in the lower right of the pic.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Found it.... not a very good pic, but here's the official part. Looks like you better call the dealer... that thing's $80.

Part #30, plus a bolt and a couple washers.

It's in the lower right of the pic.
Thanks @BigAbe75 !:thumbsup:

@jim1 could you pls take a better picture and post it for the bar that attaches to the Bimini? Can’t quite see it. Thx much!

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @BigAbe75 !:thumbsup:

@jim1 could you pls take a better picture and post it for the bar that attaches to the Bimini? Can’t quite see it. Thx much!
I probably won’t be back to the boat for a week or so, but will take a better shot next time I’m there.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe this picture of mine might help?
02AFA009-7AAE-4051-8A23-A3872062A401.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Consider a product called Vibra-Tite for those threads that like to back out. Applies like nail polish to the threads, and then purposely "gums up" to prevent vibrations from backing out an otherwise tight connections.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Consider a product called Vibra-Tite for those threads that like to back out. Applies like nail polish to the threads, and then purposely "gums up" to prevent vibrations from backing out an otherwise tight connections.
Looks like it comes in different colors too.... I want it to stick good for the season, but come off when I want it to. Which do you suggest? Blue says it’s removable?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like it comes in different colors too.... I want it to stick good for the season, but come off when I want it to. Which do you suggest? Blue says it’s removable?
I used the red stuff for a screw that only had to be inserted/removed about 4 times. It was for an ISS Payload safety latch, and we had to do a number of qualifications for it. Got about 6-7 insertions before it no longer held and had to reapplied. There was a distinct "feel" to the threads when it's holding power went away. Reapplication took 10min or so if I remember right.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used the red stuff for a screw that only had to be inserted/removed about 4 times. It was for an ISS Payload safety latch, and we had to do a number of qualifications for it. Got about 6-7 insertions before it no longer held and had to reapplied. There was a distinct "feel" to the threads when it's holding power went away. Reapplication took 10min or so if I remember right.
Ok. That makes sense. Just to clarify... once the boat is out for the season, I won’t be undoing it, until the end of the season. I only fold the tower for winter storage. So, after 5 months, I still need to be able to undo it. :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, you're in good shape then. The fewer insertions and removals the better it works.

If you're honestly only removing it once a season. Traditional loctite or other brand threadlocker will be a better solution.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
wow, i didn't realize these existed and they definitely did not come with my X..... Gotta call Chatlee