• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to get for a new boat

Peter Dunn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will be picking up my new boat 242X in a couple weeks. I bought the starter kit - life jackets, Anker, fire extinguisher, etc and a boat cover. What would you all suggest having on day 1.

Thanks,
Peter

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Beer, of course not for the captain.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A paddle with boat hook on the end or a boat hook telescoping of course. I use them a lot at the dock to hold the bote instead of tying it off until trk driver that launched me can board.

Not sure if you're starter kit came with finders or dock lines but you will want them also.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Extra fenders. A better anchor than what comes in that starter kit. A shore spike. Hot Sauce (a fast boat detailer and spot preventative by Boat Bling).

If this is your first Yamaha, it would be my suggestion, that you go out the first time, with your wife or significant first mate, and practice with the boat getting on and off the trailer, and docking, maneuvering around a buoy, etc. Do this on a weekday without weekend traffic at the ramp. Yamahas are extremely maneuverable but they are just different than other boats, even other jet boats. The posts on here I hate to read, are the ones that mention that first ding in the boat. It will happen as all boats get rash. But a little practice can prevent a gouge or someone getting hurt. The 242 is a big heavy boat and it doesn't maneuver like other boats or even like a jet ski. So practice the first time or two, without the big group or the kids. Now if the kids are going to be crew members, then no harm in them coming if they know this is a training run and not a day at the lake. No harm in combining the two, but get in some practice at the ramp and dock before you have to come back to a busier ramp and do it under pressure.

The rest of the stuff you need for storage or supplies with come as you see what you need. If you have had a boat, you know most of that. I can't tell from your profile if you had a seadoo before or maybe it was just a possible as you shopped. Figuring out what you need will be based on what you do with your boat and how you guys like to boat. If you raft up, bigger fenders, if you beach, shore spike, if you want to beach with the boat on the beach, keel guard. It will take time for you to learn the boat and establish your own way of using it. And you will love the boat! Here is a checklist I designed for my first Yamaha. It is something that you can use even with the 242. It was created in word and you can alter it to fit your own needs. Congrats and enjoy! And welcome to the forum!

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My recommended list of essentials for a new Yamaha boat:

• life jackets
  • emergency first aid kit
  • quality fire extinguisher with pressure gauge and bracket (no plastic valve components). I recommend two types if you can afford it (ABC dry chemical for general use fires and a Clean Agent like Halon or Halotron for engine compartment fires)
  • USCG equipment kit (signal devices/flares/flare guns, whistles, distress flag, etc)
  • laminated boat registration
  • fenders
  • dock lines
  • knife for cutting rope
  • small basic tool kit
  • anchor with at least 100' rope. The Danforth style Yamaha deluxe anchor kit will hold in clay or muddy bottoms but not so well in sand. I use a Box anchor as my backup or in addition if conditions require.
  • paddle (I use one with a hook on the end for help around a dock)
  • upgraded bow roller (I like the Stoltz Ultimate)
  • cooler with ice cold beverages and snacks

Last edited:

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A good multi tool (leatherman) is always good to have.

Peter Dunn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. That check list will also be very useful for me. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A hooked knife for when you suck up your first rope

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suggest getting a good cover for it. We worked in our deal purchasing any accessories we wanted for employee cost (dealer cost + 10%) on the day of delivery.

Granted we spent some money but we got some great stuff - like a Yamaha premium mooring cover.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length