• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

What upgrades are you doing next spring?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll be doing the following - wondering what others will be up to:

- Snap on bow and stern covers. I have the Yamaha mooring cover but putting that thing on while the boat is in the water is a PITA.

- Thinking about trim tabs but I had them on my last boat and maybe deployed them 5 times in the past season and a half. The Nauticus Smart Tabs (with the optional brackets to keep them in the retracted position) are intriguing and will look at them again.

- Replace my 7” Garmin chart plotter with the 9” version if I can find a good deal. My old eyes need as big a display as I can get.

- I need to find a tidy storage solution for the head compartment - I just pile crap in there.

- Install stainless steel scupper

- Find one of those stretchy shades that I can attach to the bow or stern for those really hot days

- I really like the Sunchill floaty thingy and if I can get a deal at the Milwaukee boat show in January I might pull the trigger.

- New group 31 house battery. I bought a three year old used Odyssey group 31 from a local guy that used it in his trolling motor bank at the beginning of the season. It worked OK but I don’t think it holds a charge very well.

- I need to find a tidy storage solution for the head compartment - I just pile crap in there.

- Install stainless steel scupper

- I really like the Sunchill floaty thingy and if I can get a deal at the Milwaukee boat show in January I might pull the trigger

Remember, I've got a wrench for that scupper nut. Should be in my boat tools box. When it's time, I'll track it down for you. Hit me up when you're thinking about the show. I may tag along, if they don't price it ridiculously.

As for storage, now's the time to consider this - Milwaukee Packout stuff. They just came out with drawer units, if needed, and it all latches and locks together. The only thing I'm not certain of, is the opening to get it in, might be a non-starter if the door isn't wide enough.

Alternatively, 2x4's, plywood & pocket screws would let you customize it, and some indoor/outdoor carpeting or nice enamel paint could get it looking pretty OEM. I'm guessing the shape of the area is going to be angled enough to make some things friction fit. Lmk if you want to go that route - the saws and tools are a 30 minute drive from your storage!

Remember, I've got a wrench for that scupper nut. Should be in my boat tools box. When it's time, I'll track it down for you. Hit me up when you're thinking about the show. I may tag along, if they don't price it ridiculously.

As for storage, now's the time to consider this - Milwaukee Packout stuff. They just came out with drawer units, if needed, and it all latches and locks together. The only thing I'm not certain of, is the opening to get it in, might be a non-starter if the door isn't wide enough.

Alternatively, 2x4's, plywood & pocket screws would let you customize it, and some indoor/outdoor carpeting or nice enamel paint could get it looking pretty OEM. I'm guessing the shape of the area is going to be angled enough to make some things friction fit. Lmk if you want to go that route - the saws and tools are a 30 minute drive from your storage!

I had forgotten that you had the scupper nut wrench - good info. :-)

I think the boat show was $10-$12 last year if I remember correctly. I like to go because it gives me a reason to think about the boat even when it’s -10 outside. Would be great to meet up and chew the fat.

The admiral got me two of the Milwaukee Pack-Out thingies for Xmas last year. I keep my tools in them in the garage.

I’ve seen other peeps use friction shower curtain bars and hangars to store life jackets and a variety of storage bins for other stuff - I need to look up the threads for ideas.

I plan to install blue led light strips and try to determine why I don't get a water temperature reading anymore.

Going to dig into the passenger side glove box storage area. Top and bottom panels never did shut smooth. Also on the list is a fish finder.

Cupholders in the top level of the swim platform, running drain lines from the rear cockpit cupholders into the engine compartment, installing speakers behind swim deck seats, hopefully swapping out stereo head unit, installing it in a new mount where the stupid useless "phone holder platform" is, changing over the pumps to the slurry lube setup, removing the front ladder, secondary bilge pump

With any luck we're going to do the gas cap mod............you know, lift the gas cap off our '17 AR190, then drive a new AR250 under it!

Unless I can talk her into an FSH255!!! Either way, we're both ready for a bump in hull size.

This is my list…it’s a bit extensive

-Make all compartments locking with lift and lock latches, just so all my stuff can be behind locks. I know if some jerk wants in they will get in, I’d just like to make far less convenient.
-Get OEM mooring cover modified to fit over anchor roller and reinforce it for towing, if canvas shop doesn‘t think it’s suitable for long term towing get a custom one made.
-Camper canvas made to go from hard top to bow so I don’t wake up to rain in my face, keep bugs out, and have a place to make a cup of coffee out of the weather.
-Custom T top enclosure (iseinglass) for better protection on crappy days.
-Finish hard top install
-VHF radio
-Second generation dagger board and make another so I have two, Gen 1 was a prototype and has worked exceptionally well but will pull off in more extreme conditions.
-Remove all “learning marks” from the Gel Coat
-Make thicker trolling motor mount to prevent flex
-Contemplating pulling the trolling motor apart and putting an armature kit in it
-Install remote GPS / Compass puck for my Solix MFD to get it out in the open for better reception
-Make better use of head compartment storage space
-Add 12V power points with USB chargers.

Last edited:
This is my list…it’s a bit extensive

-Make all compartments locking with lift and lock latches, just so all my stuff can be behind locks. I know if some jerk wants in they will get in, I’d just like to make far less convenient.
-Get OEM mooring cover modified to fit over anchor roller and reinforce it for towing, if canvas shop doesn‘t think it’s suitable for long term towing get a custom one made.
-Camper canvas made to go from hard top to bow so I don’t wake up to rain in my face, keep bugs out, and have a place to make a cup of coffee out of the weather.
-Custom T top enclosure (iseinglass) for better protection on crappy days.
-Finish hard top install
-VHF radio
-Second generation dagger board and make another so I have two, Gen 1 was a prototype and has worked exceptionally well but will pull off in more extreme conditions.
-Remove all “learning marks” from the Gel Coat
-Make thicker trolling motor mount to prevent flex
-Contemplating pulling the trolling motor apart and putting an armature kit in it
-Install remote GPS / Compass puck for my Solix MFD to get it out in the open for better reception
-Make better use of head compartment storage space
-Add 12V power points with USB chargers.
looking forward to seeing the details on a few of those as they come together

looking forward to seeing the details on a few of those as they come together

Thanks! The hard top, canvas, locks and dagger boards are the top priorities.

Not sure it'll be in the Spring cause spring is pollen season here and it's basically 2.5 months of a yellow cloud that gets into everything. So I normally have to have everything done by end of Feb very very beginning of March. I try to catch the warm days and get stuff done. Trailer needs a good bit of love this off season.

1. Boat needs a really good polish and new ceramic coating
  2. Rip off old peeling graphics and install impact graphics
  3. Patch the chips on the bottom of the hull from rocks kicking up
  4. Try and find a new shipping cover, or reinforce thin areas on mine
  5. Send off ridesteady for launch control update
  6. One of my axle seals is starting to leak so replace all axle seals and repack the bearings
  7. Replace all the bunks and carpet on the trailer
  8. Replace brake fluid and bleed the brakes
  9. buy a new truck for the boat

My list:
  • Deep cleaning (purchased from an estate)
  • Bottom prep and paint
  • New house battery
  • Bimini
  • Chart plotter mount
  • Recarpet and possibly replace the trailer bunks
  • Replace crazed porthole lens
Last one gives away it for my sailboat, but the first six could be for any type of boat.

Jim

Thanks! The hard top, canvas, locks and dagger boards are the top priorities.
I’m still thinking i want to put the thin plastic sheet on top, like that dude posted on facebook a few years ago. Simple and elegant replacement for the soft top. He made it look easy.

The boat is new to me so I just want to enjoy it. My AR192 had so many mods and looking at my 242, I don't think there's really much to do. I have to put the stolz rollers (theres 2 because i have the 255 fsh trailer). And I want to find a wakesurf board over the winter. I never tried surfing, but my 242 came with the wake booster so I may as well give it a try. Let me know if anyone comes across a black friday deal on the wake surf board

My list:
  • Deep cleaning (purchased from an estate)
  • Bottom prep and paint
  • New house battery
  • Bimini
  • Chart plotter mount
  • Recarpet and possibly replace the trailer bunks
  • Replace crazed porthole lens
Last one gives away it for my sailboat, but the first six could be for any type of boat.

Jim

What did you buy? Are you replacing fixed portlights or opening? Are you reglazing Lewmar hatches? For those try Hatchmasters . We have 8-30 series Lewmar Ocean hatches to reglaze/rebuild stop hinges on the catamaran for 2025 and 10 fixed lights to replace and rebed in 2024.

Last edited:
I always make a list but only end up getting a quarter to half of it done, haha. But here we go:

Deep clean
Change oil & spark plugs
Soundproofing
Another good polish
Little bit of gel coat repair
Second bilge pump

Top two will get done regardless. I’ve got a long time to think about doing all these things.. Wish I lived south like some of you!

I always make a list but only end up getting a quarter to half of it done, haha. But here we go:

Deep clean
Change oil & spark plugs
Soundproofing
Another good polish
Little bit of gel coat repair
Second bilge pump

Top two will get done regardless. I’ve got a long time to think about doing all these things.. Wish I lived south like some of you!
I forgot sound proofing….

What did you buy? Are you replacing fixed portlights or opening? Are you reglazing Lewmar hatches? For those try Hatchmasters . We have 8-30 series Lewmar Ocean hatches to reglaze/rebuild stop hinges on the catamaran for 2025 and 10 fixed lights to replace and rebed in 2024.
I haven’t bought the replacement lenses yet. My Precision 21 has four opening Lewmar portlights, one of the reasons I bought the boat. The original ones (from 2000) are still functional, but they look like crap and I can’t see well out of them. While I want to replace them, they are probably the last thing I will do before splashing the boat.

Here’s a picture from the previous owner:
80F20530-9FC5-42BC-A231-A31845967F81.jpeg

Jim

Back