• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What would you do if a Mercruiser Certified Dealer misdiagnosed your problem?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, I got a question for you guys and gals....

My Mercruiser bowrider has been having some stalling issues.

After trying a bunch of inexpensive possible parts from a local certified mercruiser dealer ( who will remain anonymous), they suggested that they can diagnose the boat and tell me what is wrong. After 2 weeks of waiting for them to get it to, they determined that it was a bad cutout switch and Cool Fuel & Fuel pump kit. They said both the Cool & Pump were leaking.

Since my son is a (Fairly new) marine mechanic and I am mechanically inclined, we bought the parts from the same Mercruiser Certified dealer and installed both of them.

So we go out for sea trials...same problem. Same EXACT problems as before. No changes.

So I get home and test the cut out switch, and it tests fine with my meter. At this point I have no way to test the cool fuel/fuel pump. Bu that is one part that could be good that I paid for, for no reason.

I cannot do much until Monday. I am pretty level headed about this, but still upset that I just spend close to $500 for what appears to be unnecessary part.

I am not the type of guy to go in screaming, but I am looking for resolve. In your opinions, what would make this right? Is there a way for me to see if the Cool Fuel/Fuel Pump I had was actually working correctly and did not need to be replaced? Where does the responsibility of the Certified Dealer start and end here?

Thank you
Jason

I don't think you have a leg to stand on because the certified dealer did not do the work. They simply provided a diagnosis based on the symptoms. Certified or not, it's not always straight forward in the service business. There is no true acid test until you are 'hands on'. Just probabilities. Had they done the work they would not have charged you for labor and parts that did not resolve the problem and they would have proceeded on to the next phase.
Did you check with them in advance of the purchase to see what their return policy is on DIY installed parts? Maybe they are more than willing to understand and work with you simply based on your request for assistance.

Yeah...going to be tough to deal with this as they didn't do the work. And I hate to say it, but many of them would have replaced the same parts and whatever else is the true problem and told you all these parts were problematic.

That said, a good dealer should take the parts back if you only tested with them.

Also, many of these marine dealers seem incapable of scheduling their staff and their work at all. I think they fear telling their clients the truth about how backed up they are as the customer might go somewhere else.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on because the certified dealer did not do the work. They simply provided a diagnosis based on the symptoms. Certified or not, it's not always straight forward in the service business. There is no true acid test until you are 'hands on'. Just probabilities. Had they done the work they would not have charged you for labor and parts that did not resolve the problem and they would have proceeded on to the next phase.
Did you check with them in advance of the purchase to see what their return policy is on DIY installed parts? Maybe they are more than willing to understand and work with you simply based on your request for assistance.
Dead on

I'd have to agree with the others @ChargerGuy. The only thing the dealer could do to compromise is to give you a break on the parts he sold you or a discount towards them doing the repair.

Fair enough, but this is where it is a bit different.
They told me to replace the parts in question and the boat would run, period.

They were touting that those two parts were the ONLY reason my boat was not running. They made no mention that it could be other parts and when questioned further, they said no.
Now if they told me otherwise, or said this may or may not be the problem, then sure. But when they offered to you the diagnosis and make a rock solid suggestion for a 100% cure, and they suggest that I could install the parts myself to save $$....what exactly is left?

Generally speaking, why does it matter who installed the parts, especially if they are fairly easy to install? If the diagnosis is by the best type of mechanic/facility possible was wrong, then whomever installed the parts is irrelevant as they did not need to be replaced. How does paying a mechanic for labor change the failed diagnosis?

Because the only true diagnoses would come with the labor performed by the dealership technician. Everything else is just speculation. The DIY'r has to understand this and accept the risk that comes along with avoiding the dealer's labor services and doing the job himself....particularly if the parts department return policies are well-defined (on the front or back of the invoice).
You still get a ticket if you don't see the stop sign. You had a responsibility to ask or verify this in advance.
Personally, if I was in the shoes of the dealer then I would never, ever give a hard diagnosis based on the car or boat owners information because I could be relying on incomplete or flawed information. After all, the car or boat owner is not a specialized technician for that car or boat. And, absolutely nothing is confirmed until the suspected parts are substituted with known working parts. Plus, the dealer should be able to anticipate what is possibly coming next with the customer if the repair should fail. If the dealer made a hard diagnosis without the proper qualification, thinking that they may have been helping, then that would be a clear mistake and stupid on their part IMO. But that wouldn't change the written policy on returns.

Ya know @ChargerGuy. I just reread your original post and believe you paid them for their diagnosis. Is that correct? If so, I do think they owe you something. Either refund the diagnosis fee or apply it to a correct repair and allow you to return the parts or give you a discount on them. Sending you down the wrong path @ $500 puts a sour taste in your mouth and gives them bad credibility. If they had replaced the same parts you installed I think they would have returned them to the parts department and moved on to another fix until they got it right. You should be able to compromise with them. Just give them that friendly smile on your avatar and go for it. ;)

Whether cars or boats, service is service is service. Would a car dealer give you a firm and final quote in advance based on speculation or inspection? No way! Not unless they have a crystal ball. This isn't carper cleaning. It is only an estimate until the work is done and proven. If they discover 'more' or 'different' once into the job then they are entitled to charge more and are required to get your acceptance in advance before doing that extra work (with the exception of a % within law).
If they did an actual inspection with a technician, they are justly entitled to an inspection fee, even though you may decline the estimate....but it should still be an estimate.
So I think if they actually charged you for a physical inspection with the boat in their service bay, and they don't have a clearly worded disclaimer on this particular situation, then you have some leverage. If there was no physical inspection and no fee then the parts department written return policy is probably fully enforceable.
Policy is policy and law is law. But if they value good customers and you are a good customer they will often break or bend their own policies to retain those people.
Either way, I wouldn't bull rush the dealership. First, try to negotiate a fair agreement with tact. Assume that they will be willing to work with you until they have proven they won't.

I agree, treat them nice and not be a jerk, at any point. No advantage to getting upset.

They do have a fee but waive it when you buy the parts from them, which I gladly did.

The diagnosis was hard. I did not just accept it, I asked why. Their explanations for the problem and parts were details (verbally) to me.

I'm no mechanic. Not even close. But that seems like a hard issue to hard diagnose without some hard testing.
Would they pressure check it before and after?
Is there power from a relay?
Is there power to the relay?
Is there a control where the fuel pump won't power up until a fan clears the air?
Doesn't appear to be the least bit straight forward like an old mechanical-driven fuel pump....the good old days.
Did they (the dealer) actually have the boat in their possession and do a thorough inspection before arriving at the cause?

@David Analog: Thanks for once again, your articulate, ACCURATE and fact-based replies !
I always enjoy reading your thoughts, because they leave little to the imagination, or speculation.
Thanks for taking time to write what you do ! - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Sounds to me like they screwed up their diagnosis and probably shouldn't have made one without it being in their shop. I always appreciate a dealer/service dept/tech or otherwise that helps me to diagnose and eliminate the possibilities, so I can address them myself too. But I am pretty accepting that troubleshooting is a process, and my risk if I follow that path, as not many businesses will take back a part once installed...unless they do it themselves. Even then, many will flat out tell you that there is no way to identify the exact part without replacing the cheap ones first, so many times, I have had to pay for repairs that didn't need it. So bottom line here, I agree with @David Analog and kind of think, regardless if they were hard on the fix or not, that you have to eat it...unless also like David said, that they want to show good will and retain your business. I don't really understand the mentality that a dealer/service/tech should eat not only his profit but cost of doing business to keep a good customer...not too much of a way to stay in business if your outgo exceeds your income.

I would offer this however. You mentioned that your son and you both are pretty good mechanics. That is all the more reason to have a boat that has a support network to help you maintain her! Get rid of the merc and get a Yamaha jet boat! As you have discovered, your among a very generous and helpful crowd here...and the level of knowledge here about these boats is INSANE! I am so spoiled, I will never have a forum or support group on anything that comes close to this, and that reason alone is a reason to own and operate one of these boats vs other manufacturers out there! I know this isn't the best alternative to the current situation, but long term and going forward, you won't find a better community to support the ownership experience!

To clarify, they had the boat in the shop for 14 days just for diagnosis.

Got it, they diagnosed, you fixed. Not sure I understand how that comes about, unless like typical dealers, they can't seem to find the time to get to it, so impatiences takes over and we want the boat back...and we fix it. I totally empathize with you, that is exactly how the Yamaha has become so popular IMO. It is because online forum help can be found in a keystroke to help not only fix, but diagnose issues and hear from others with experience about the issues we face. Merc, Yammi, Glastron, SeaRay...whatever, they all have issues occasionally...and certainly techs misdiagnose issues all the time. I can't remember a time that I ever got out of paying for the pathway to get to a final fix on an item, when there were several unrelated issues along the way, that were considered beforehand fixes. It sucks, but it is what it is. I do hope however, that you can get the boat fixed soon! I feel the same way about my under warranty boat, that Yamaha has denied the claim now on fixing my non working stereo in my new boat. Ugh.

Back