• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's a good scupper valve look like?

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As the title says, I'm in need of help of knowing what a good vs a dead scupper valve looks like.

Looking @ buying an AR210 up here in the region, and while it's got a few things that I really need to check out, I'm curious about this: broken? Screwed up at least?

Not a deal breaker by any means, but just curious as to what I should be looking for here.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's not a good one. Flapper valve is gone, even looks brittle on the picture and it's made out of plastic and sits under the water line. Only half kidding here. I suggest you replace it if you buy the boat.

It's a plastic wear item. Heat cycles and sun makes it brittle and it eventually cracks. Life span between 4 and 15 years for 95% of them (made that up out of thin air, but I bet money is accurate)

Best of luck on your boat hunt.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Beachbummer. We were trying to figure out from the photo if that was pushed in, or broken off. It may be pushed in there. But needs to be replaced with a stainless one.

Is there still a floating scupper valve wrench on here? Thanks guys.

Jordan, here is what the new Stainless scupper looks like on Amazon for around $56

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That's not a good one. Flapper valve is gone, even looks brittle on the picture and it's made out of plastic and sits under the water line. Only half kidding here. I suggest you replace it if you buy the boat.

It's a plastic wear item. Heat cycles and sun makes it brittle and it eventually cracks. Life span between 4 and 15 years for 95% of them (made that up out of thin air, but I bet money is accurate)

Best of luck on your boat hunt.
Will need to replace it no matter what from what I'm reading.

Thank you!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does look like the flap just got pushed in but i agree with bummer, it's to easy not to change,
we can't tell by a picture unless an obvious crack was showing as many have report the backside that connects to the hose cracks or breaks,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title says, I'm in need of help of knowing what a good vs a dead scupper valve looks like.

Looking @ buying an AR210 up here in the region, and while it's got a few things that I really need to check out, I'm curious about this: broken? Screwed up at least?

Not a deal breaker by any means, but just curious as to what I should be looking for here.

Thanks in advance!
What year is the boat ?

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am in process of buying a 2014 212SS. The scupper valve on it is on the side wall by the port engine. So a silly question, and only because I do not yet have the boat home to check myself. What connects to this scupper valve? I saw ScottInTexas say that a hose connects to it, but where does that hose go? What is it draining?

The reason I ask is that after a 15-20 minute water trial of this boat I am buying, there was about a gallon or so of water that came out of the drain plug. We let it drain till only a very slow drip was seen and decided to do the water run again. We relaunched and went out for another 10-15 minutes with the same result of about a gallon or so out of the drain plug. It is at the shop now with the seller having the boat checked by a trained Yamaha tech, but looking down the road I want to just better understand where this line goes.

I have read the other post that talks about water in the bilge that describes a similar circumstance to this, and I believe that I read that it could have been the clean out tray drain line getting backwash water when coming off plane. This may also explain how water got in to the top of the clean out plug tubes, basically filling them up with water above the plugs. It seems as if water should not be coming up through those plugs to fill the plug "chamber", but again, I am a new, soon-to-be owner that knows nothing yet...

If water were coming in through this tray through that drain line, I am trying to understand how it could then make its way in to the bilge and be the water that is draining out after the run.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm really looking forward to getting the new to me boat!!

Thanks all!!

Joe ...

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scupper valve connects to a hose that drains from the deck.

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Gotcha. Must be that white hose that runs between the motors...? I was wondering if that was what it might be. Thanks for the answer!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha. Must be that white hose that runs between the motors...? I was wondering if that was what it might be. Thanks for the answer!
Yes sir, well in mine it runs next to "THE" motor lol

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This may also explain how water got in to the top of the clean out plug tubes, basically filling them up with water above the plugs. It seems as if water should not be coming up through those plugs to fill the plug "chamber", but again, I am a new, soon-to-be owner that knows nothing yet...
Clean out plug water is a non-issue and normal for your boat. So you are good there. As well as the Scupper on a 2014 should be a non issue as well. You may want to consider a plug for the anchor locker drain. I was taking a bit of water in that way when the bow was filled with folks. Or we turned into our surf wave.

Good luck with the purchase!

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes, I have heard about the anchor locker drain and was going to look at that when I ultimately get the boat home. There were only 2 of us in the boat during the water trial and we were not really tearing it up through any waves such that I would think much water could have come through. But I have seen funnier things happen when water is involved... I do have some black stoppers I can use to block some of these drain lines if I need to do more testing.

When you say that the scupper valve on the '14 SS should be a non-issue, why is that? I think you may mean that the tube goes from the cockpit drain to the scupper valve, and therefore would not cause water to back flow into the bilge/hull area when coming off plane. Only thing could be if the drain line has come loose from the scupper that any water entering through a fatigued/failed scupper flapper might be able to then go down into the bottom of the boat...? I am just thinking ahead for things to check if the dealer does not find anything. I am hoping it is something simple like this.

Thank you for your guidance. I sincerely appreciate all of the info that you and the other resident owners/experts share. Y'all are an awesome resource for a newbie Yamaha owner. Have a great day!!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The previous scupper valve on the old hulls was a different design and in a different location. Yours being 2014 (potentially) should not be an issue. Those having scupper issues are in the old hull design.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you say that the scupper valve on the '14 SS should be a non-issue, why is that? I think you may mean that the tube goes from the cockpit drain to the scupper valve, and therefore would not cause water to back flow into the bilge/hull area when coming off plane. Only thing could be if the drain line has come loose from the scupper that any water entering through a fatigued/failed scupper flapper might be able to then go down into the bottom of the boat...? I am just thinking ahead for things to check if the dealer does not find anything. I am hoping it is something simple like this.
Until 2010 the scupper valve was located BELOW the water line, with the cheap plastic scupper, if it cracked or broke it turned into a hole BELOW the waterline.
in 2010 they moved the scupper valve to a "normally" above the waterline location, so if it cracks or brakes even while floating you will not ingest water,

honestly I would have no hope of a dealer identifying where you boat is leaking from, rub rail, transom drain, rear cleat, cleanout plug tray, loose exhaust connection,

you'll probably have a better chance at tracking it down if it really concerns you, some days my boat is dry from the transom plug, others I'll get 3 minutes of water draining out,

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Until 2010 the scupper valve was located BELOW the water line, with the cheap plastic scupper, if it cracked or broke it turned into a hole BELOW the waterline.
in 2010 they moved the scupper valve to a "normally" above the waterline location, so if it cracks or brakes even while floating you will not ingest water,

honestly I would have no hope of a dealer identifying where you boat is leaking from, rub rail, transom drain, rear cleat, cleanout plug tray, loose exhaust connection,

you'll probably have a better chance at tracking it down if it really concerns you, some days my boat is dry from the transom plug, others I'll get 3 minutes of water draining out,

Yes, I am not overly concerned about it. I saw one thread that talked about the water and one of the things (although it was not very common) could be a leaking impeller drive shaft seal. That is really the one thing I want them to look for as it is the harder to fix as I understand, so would rather that expense be on the seller's side ;-). The other things will just be a matter of snooping it out as we use it. It would not have even raised my eyebrow if it were not for that amount of water in such a short amount of time on the water, with no wet swimmers getting on/off and tubing and wake waves coming over the swim platform, etc. I have had a few boats before and always had varying amounts of water from the plug at the end of a fun day on the lake, just never saw that amount in such a short time. Figured it was prudent to have it checked out given the amount of the investment that is involved.

Thanks!!

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The previous scupper valve on the old hulls was a different design and in a different location. Yours being 2014 (potentially) should not be an issue. Those having scupper issues are in the old hull design.
Gotcha! That makes sense. I wasn't aware that there was a location change. The scupper on this was on the center transom box that is between the 2 jet outdrives, high up on the vertical wall facing the port side engine. I would assume that it is above the water line when the boat is stopped and not taking waves to the back swim deck area.

And if there is water coming in there due to a failed flapper, if that line goes to the cockpit drain, then that water should not even enter the hull/bilge area unless the tube is loose or broken off there at the scupper.

Thanks!!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's right, even on the old hulls the scupper was only a problem if the hose broke going to the valve. Since it was plastic it happened.

On a side note, if the previous owner had rainwater in the hull of the boat prior to launching, it may not have made it to the back of the boat till you pulled it out. As most of use put the plug in at the landing, but prior to backing down. So that water could have been in there from sitting in the driveway/parking lot. Who knows.

Monitor it, but don't let it concern you unless we are talking gallons and gallons every time.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That's right, even on the old hulls the scupper was only a problem if the hose broke going to the valve. Since it was plastic it happened.

On a side note, if the previous owner had rainwater in the hull of the boat prior to launching, it may not have made it to the back of the boat till you pulled it out. As most of use put the plug in at the landing, but prior to backing down. So that water could have been in there from sitting in the driveway/parking lot. Who knows.

Monitor it, but don't let it concern you unless we are talking gallons and gallons every time.

Good luck!
Thanks Biff! Yes, I know that there are so many different things that this could be. Only maybe 2 things that would "concern" me and will hopefully be checked while it is in the shop for a quick once over.

Thanks so much!! Have a great day!!