• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Where do you buy your boating accessories?

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Looking for some recommendations for online retailers you have done business with that offer good deals/fast shipping. I already know about Jet Boat Pilot and will be buying what they have available on my list.

I would like to buy the following items before picking up my boat, let me know if I'm missing anything that I should have for a first outing.

Box Anchor

Sand Shark Anchor

Life Vests

Bow Roller (Jet Boat Pilot)

Dock Lines

Fire Extinguisher

Dock Pole (Extender version)

Mission Bumpers

Trailer Guides and Covers

Keel Guard (Might have dealer install this, otherwise I know Amazon has them)

Recommendations I added to list:

Spotlight

Air Horn

Whistle

Boat Buckles

Knife for clearing obstruction in clean out (J hook)

Tow Ropes

Coated Anchor Chain

Extra Drain Plugs

Extra Kill Switch Keys

Hose Clamp Pliers

Throwable floatation device

VHF Handheld Radio

Storage Case for tools with Weather Seal to seal out moisture/humidity

Clamp Aid Guards Link

Last edited:
In general that is a pretty good list. I would add a VHF handheld radio, air horn/sound producing device/battery jumper and spotlight as just a few more items. If boating in salt I would switch out the transom straps for the G2 Stainless Boat Buckles. If doing tow sports or diving, make sure to get proper flags. Also good idea to have a sharp stainless knife in case you need to cut a line.

I would also look at alternatives options for your list, and anchor wise you should understand your bed type if you don't already. Along with anchors you need chain and the coated chain is nice so not to scratch your boat. In that regard, get covers for your trailer guides as well so the PVC doesn't scratch the boat.

I would recommend Cobras over TVs but that's an argument for another thread. There are cheaper versions of the Missions that IMO work better (Kotomota for ex.)

For cleaning, get some quick connects to make flushing/cleaning easier. I have an extension on my flush plug to make things easier. I also have a quick connect on the shower port for easier re-install.

Last edited:
In general that is a pretty good list. I would add a VHF handheld radio, air horn/sound producing device/battery jumper and spotlight as just a few more items. If boating in salt I would switch out the transom straps for the G2 Stainless Boat Buckles. If doing tow sports or diving, make sure to get proper flags. Also good idea to have a sharp stainless knife in case you need to cut a line.

I would also look at alternatives options for your list, and anchor wise you should understand your bed type if you don't already. Along with anchors you need chain and the coated chain is nice so not to scratch your boat. In that regard, get covers for your trailer guides as well so the PVC doesn't scratch the boat.

I would recommend Cobras over TVs but that's an argument for another thread. There are cheaper versions of the Missions that IMO work better (Kotomota for ex.)

For cleaning, get some quick connects to make flushing/cleaning easier. I have an extension on my flush plug to make things easier. I also have a quick connect on the shower port for easier re-install.

Awesome!

I'm boating in fresh water Michigan inland lakes. I added several of your recommendations, I added Boat Buckles, I forgot to mention those but I did want them. I already have a NOCO jump starter I will take with me. I added tow rope but I plan on boating a few times before I start pulling my kids around; however, I did buy two WOW Towables last year from Sams Club for $38 each, they were $300 at this years boat show!

I remember reading on the Kotomota, they look just like the mission, thanks for the reminder on these!

Get a shut off valve for the hose that will screw into the end of the hose. You’ll need this for when you are flushing the engines.
Engine on first
Then water
Water off
Then engine off.

Install an onboard battery charger (10x2) with the plug, makes keeping your batteries ready to go easy.

Dock lines are easily made with 3/8” yacht braid

Get a linoleum knife, looks like a J, for cutting rope, fishing line etc… of the impeller shaft. Get one you can tie a lanyard to for when you drop it.

Rule of thumb on anchor chain is one foot for every foot of your boat, get 5/16” stainless chain & 250’ of rode. An anchor is safety device more so than a fun device. Scope is 5:1 normally, 7:1 if it’s rough.

As @Adrian mentioned about turning enhancers, there’s a discussion to be had, BUT you have twin engines, learn how to use them independently as well as together and you will have far greater control than just with turning enhancers. I don’t have them and don’t feel like I need them. Just like I don’t have trailer guides. When it’s windy I come in at a pretty decent angle over the trailer and ease up onto the bunks then split the throttles to get lined up, can’t do that with trailer guides.

Make up a small tool kit too.

Get some hose clamp end safeties, this will keep you from getting sliced up by those ends hanging out there.

As far as stores, I get some of my stuff from Amazon, some from West Marine, Cabelas, Scheels, Birdsall Marine, Bost Outfitters.

You’ll want a throwable floatation device too. As far as PFD’s go, I wear the auto inflating kind, I forget I have mine on most of the time.

I don’t know about the radio that comes on your boat, mine has a dedicated weather frequency and that’s handy to tune into once in a while to check for summer thunderstorms.

Last edited:
Awesome!

I'm boating in fresh water Michigan inland lakes. I added several of your recommendations, I added Boat Buckles, I forgot to mention those but I did want them. I already have a NOCO jump starter I will take with me. I added tow rope but I plan on boating a few times before I start pulling my kids around; however, I did buy two WOW Towables last year from Sams Club for $38 each, they were $300 at this years boat show!

I remember reading on the Kotomota, they look just like the mission, thanks for the reminder on these!

Where you at in Michigan, I boat is SW Lower Michigan all over the place.

Do the Boat Buckles regardless.

You can't have enough fenders. I have two mission and two of the white standard. Sooner or later you are going to need them. Also get some hose clamp pliers in case you need to be towed.

I get all my stuff off of amazon for the most part. Unless I want to get worked over or need it right away I go to West Marine.

Keelguard was a game changer. The crap around here they call a sand bar is sand and rocks.

Handheld VHF a must. I use the Standard Horizons

Last edited:
Also recommend you carry a spare drain plug. Sooner or later some joker could remove yours or cut it off, they think that shit is funny expecially when out and about. Don't want to ruin your day.

If you have boated around here you will know that they are always watching to make sure you have your kill switch clipped to you. I actually put a longer cord and a wrist lanyard. That way it can go from driver to driver much easier. I would also buy extra kill switch key(s). I keep them in my glove box. If I go over for whatever reason, someone will need to use another key in the kill switch to come get me, especially in some of the currents in the rivers. Never happend but only takes once.

Amazon.com: PRO FLOATING LANYARD WRIST BAND YAMAHA KAWASAKI SEADOO POLARIS : Automotive

When it comes to a tool case, go up to Harbor Freight, etc. Get an ammo case with a seal. That way it will seal the humitidy and moisture out of your tools.

X’s 10 on the extra drain plug and lanyard!

As part of USCG compliance, instead of pyrotechnics...I did not see flares addressed. Sirius Signal Electronic Flare SOS Distress Light
The kit has the daytime distress signal flag and a whistle too.
Flares expire just like fire extinguishers and batteries.

Last edited:
Where you at in Michigan, I boat is SW Lower Michigan all over the place.

I live in Grand Blanc, grew up in Livonia. Lake Fenton and Lake Ponemah are close to me. Lake Fenton is a busy lake, what are your recommendations for lakes with an easy launch, low traffic and good for a Jet Boat for me to learn on?

Thanks, Excellent recommendations! I would have never thought about extra drain plugs or kill switch keys. I do carry road flares in my vehicle, I have towed trailers for years, wave runners, four place enclosed snowmobile and utility trailers and have always carried flares, pop up cones, small floor jack and cordless impact.

Lake Fenton sucks and we stay off of it, too many asshats for me and to crowded. Too many people drinking heavy and running their boats hard and i have seen some bad days. Saw a tuber getting run over and a crash. I personally wouldn't take the family doing watersports on that lake. To just hang out in boat and drive around it isn't to bad.

. I live over in Royal Oak. BIL lives in Grand Blanc so I am out there once in a while.

Best Watersports lake around is Orchard Lake. Just south of Pontiac, even on Weekends. Island in middle, nice places to anchor and circular. On the southern end it is deep and that is where everyone does watersports. Only 70 spots at the launch and that is it. You can get on before 10:00 am on Saturday after that it fills up. During the week not a problem. Water usually gets very warm. You can do Cass Lake as well, launch at the State Park, Dodge Brothers No. 4 I believe. Gets a bit crazy on the weekends though.

Lake St. Clair is a great place to get used to your boat. Make sure you have all Coast guard items. Also you will need a throwable tied to a rope. I keep two. Make sure you have a VHF. The chop can get 1-3' with the cruiser on a nice Saturday but only in the middle. Otherwise it great.

You can put in at the Metropark or at Harley Ensign Launch which has several hundred spots. Plenty of water. If you cut across and go to the islands and St. Clair River, the chop goes down to a calm and tons of water. You will need navigation. There are restuarants, bars, fuel and a ton of things to do. Around the islands the water warms as well. You can practice out there all day. If there is strong wind and you don't want to do the 7 miles to cross, you can drop the boat in on the other side of Anchor Bay near Algonac.

You absolutely need navigation. In the smaller lakes around you will run shallow quick and then start sucking up everything. I have a chart plotter but also use Navionics on my phone. Which has been a lifesaver a few times. Navionics

The flares aren't just for the trailer. I keep a marine flare gun incase I need it especially in LSC or the great lakes. As well as a good safety kit. Recommend a couple pair of swim goggles as well in case you need to get in and see under water.

Last edited:
Lake Orion isn't bad. Maceday is OK. The smaller lakes you won't be opening it up and if you plan on doing any type of watersports, it can be dicey depending on how many boats are on the water.

Anchor bay on North end of LSC and Bouveir Bay in the North East is a view miles across and about 4-9' deep. Great for watersports and then there is a resturant bar there that we anchor and walk up to for one and new one where you can drive right up to. They also will deliver out to the boats that are anchored.

Don't try and boat around here without at least Navionics running on your phone.

FYI, not sure if you have kids, but Big Muscamoot Bay can get a bit X' rated at times back by the end and is very shallow, on the weekends on nice days.

1683381805547.png

Last edited:
Lastly, I took the boating safety course and made EVERYONE ONE, in my household do it even the kids and the admiral. To drive my boat, you need to have done the course. I have been boating all my life off and on and it was a nice refresher of the Navigation Markers and some of the newer regulations. You can do it online. It is mandatory as well if someone whom is driving the boat was born after June 30, 1996. I have had the USCG as well as the sherriff stop us, once in LSC and once in Cass Lake when one of the kids was driving the boat and ask to see her certificate. They were really cool about it. Kids don't drive much, but if I ever get hurt or they need to drive us in I wanted to make sure they were safe about it.

In LSC and the Great Lakes you will encounter many different markers, signals and navigation items and it is best if you know them.

You will notice that the majority of people have no clue what the rules and regs are and common sense. You must always be defensive on any of the waters around here. There is a lot of stupid going on. Also learn to have patience and tolerance at the boat launches, you will see stuff that you can hardly believe. Also you don't want to be that person who is rigging their boat on the ramp or getting it ready to ride home. Use the staging areas.

Finally, be mindful of No Wake areas as well as distance from docks, etc.

Get your Michigan Boating License & Safety Course | Boat-Ed

Appreciate all the great info!

I already sent my wife and two daughters (17, 22) the Boat-Ed link and told them to get it done. I don't mind paying the $29each for all of us to take the exam, even though my wife and I don't require it by law.

My wife and I have time off over the summer so we will be able to hit the lakes mid week in the early hours to get some practice in.

I had wave runners, in laws had pontoon boats and I lived in Florida for eight years and was on the water allot so I'm aware of no wake zones and boat ramp etiquette, I also wont have a problem pulling/backing up trailer because I have years of experience with pulling trailers, just need to get the docking down and a feel for boat under power and steering when not under power. I'll have the DRiVE paddles so I'm sure those will be great training wheels to get started with...lol

I definitely want to try LSC but am worried if the 22' will be big enough but once I get use to the boat, I'm sure I will be less hesitant; however, I will always be cautious!

I take my 21' in the great lakes as well. Out boats do quite nicely.

Yes his stock boat will have a problem loosing speed in turns and serious bow wander at all speeds and loss of control when turning and rapidly decelerating so the super Magnum AK-19 deluxe addresses slow speed in forward and reverse but it also handles the speed bleed-off and the loss of control as well as allows the boat to track straight and get rid of the bow wander it adds a second tie rod for balance redundancy and improved longevity as well as the top fins for extra steering control at slow speeds in forward and reverse. Basically providing the most features and benefits without having the tempered adjustable fins down near the bottom of the rudder for clearance and the super steering changes it's influence based on the position of the hull in the water so you get the correct amount of assistance as needed at all speeds and in bad conditions so you stay in control. The picture also has some blue marks at the bottom of the super fins and the rudder to show the position of the fins in relation to the bottom of the rudder .
1683427965166.jpeg

Back