• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why do plugs blow out?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is 11 years old, I don't lube the plugs, I have no reason to believe that they were lubed before me, and I have zero issues with the plugs. Using Cobra EZ Locks here. I see no reason to use lube on plugs. If you NEED lube, they're probably defective anyways and should be rebuilt IMO.
It would be interesting to see the year and model of boats that have suffered blow outs. I wonder if it's an age issue, meaning more plug failures occur after they are 3 years old or older. Has anyone gathered any data or know of any statistical analysis done regarding blow outs?
I'll go on record as having had a blow-out when the boat was probably 3 or 4 years old. And I'll take credit for having not seated that plug properly. I learned from that mistake.
I started keeping nerf footballs in the tube to lesson the impact on the hatch should there be another blow out. (I only have one now, some rat faced git stole one)

I meant to do something to prevent it from happening again, like adding a lock of some sort. I never did.

I leave the plugs in. All the time. Except to remove debris from the jets.

I cleaned them with a wet microfiber towel last Saturday. They were a little grungy, but not bad. I never have lubed them. I just clean them. They may get a bit tight, but a little rocking motion and they come right out.

I'm on my 12th season with this boat and these plugs. I most likely won't change my ways now. :cool:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave the plugs in. All the time. Except to remove debris from the jets.
Do you at least pull them after each outing to drain the water on top and then put them back in?

If they are dry, I think storing them in or out of the tubes is fine either way. I believe the biggest problem is when they get standing water on top and left to sit that way. If they are pulled and drained (and wiped if grimey-slimey) after each outing I believe they will be trouble free for many years (as yours and mine have been). Leaving standing water on top I think is the what does the most harm to the plugs.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you at least pull them after each outing to drain the water on top and then put them back in?

If they are dry, I think storing them in or out of the tubes is fine either way. I believe the biggest problem is when they get standing water on top and left to sit that way. If they are pulled and drained (and wiped if grimey-slimey) after each outing I believe they will be trouble free for many years (as yours and mine have been). Leaving standing water on top I think is the what does the most harm to the plugs.
Honestly Mark? Yes and No.....sometimes I do and sometimes I'm in such a rush...like yesterday. It was 119 in the shade and I was so freakin' tired I didn't even lift that hatch. However, the water - if any - doesn't last long in 119 degree heat. So let's just call me lucky.

When I first got the boat and for about 5 or 6 years after I'd pull the plugs right after retrieving the boat and I'd open the drain plug too.

I can't recall the last time any water came out after removing the drain plug - so I do that when I pull the boat for the last time, before putting it away. Still dry as a bone yesterday.

I had a bit of grass collect in my port jet over the weekend - I use that engine only when going through any slow speed grassy areas...it makes it easier to clean out only one jet - the right side was still dry at the time. We were floating and that's when I decided to clean the plugs just for yucks. And you are right, standing water will make them grimey on top. That's what I cleaned off.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is what mother Yamaha officially published about maintaining plugs. That said, I used to grease mine, now I just pull them and keep them clean. When not in use they sit out of the hole, laying over it. I also make sure I leave the latch handle up so when I get in next time I see the handle which reminds me to put them in. If you don't put them in, no real harm is done...but you'll have no thrust.

I also have no countermeasure against a blow out and haven't for 12 years of push button plug ownership. But when I install them, I tug on them REALLY hard and visually make certain that it is install all the way in (top of plug should be flush with metal housing).

I agree that getting the water off the top is important, other wise it evaporates and leaves mineral build up that builds up.