• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why I will never let my wife watch my tow rope again

wakeformer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So last summer I had my wife watch the rope while my friend drove my boat and I was in the water teaching my kid how to wakeboard. Needless to say she didn't and I had to replace the intake grate this winter. Needless to say she doesn't want to be on rope duty anymore

image.jpg

edited to make image full

Last edited:

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ouch!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did she help change it out or at least bring you a beer while doing it? :winkingthumbsup"

cyberlock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is my fear every time I let the wife drive while I tube or wakeboard. I just keep telling the kids to watch the rope. The sharp knife on board helps too.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sucked one up with the xr now the person on the tube is responsible for feeding out the line. I threaten with death if it gets sucked up. ( not really) :hurting:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lose a rope to the pump and Inattentive wife about once every two years. Lucky costco doesn't ask for the rope back when I exchange tubes there.

I've since changed the rule and state that everyone on board is responsible for minding the tow rope, I even tell them what s to say and/or do when it looks like we will go over it. Still, to this day, if the rope gets tangled in a pump it's usually attributable to the same suspect. Technically she is a co owner of the boat not just the rope so remediation options are limited.

Having two pumps helps and luckily intake grates don't cost a fortune but I wish someone offered a performance grate like a top loader instead.

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I Just made the same repair not 2 weeks ago

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We sucked up two ropes last season...Both times, my wife was driving. I was mad, but if you get too mad, she won't pull me on the wakeboard anymore.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well said jdiaz.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heck, I can't even get mine to drive it... I think y'all are lucky.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just keep in mind...if you have anyone in the water, and they get between the boat and the rope, and you suck up the end or close to the end, it can trap a person between the boat and rope!!! And let me tell you, it gets tighter than a banjo string! I am fearful that it could cut someones leg or arm off, or worse! We didn't ski, tube, or board much, but it sure was something I was aware of after sucking up a dockline and almost getting an arm in it! My wife wouldn't drive either Tim.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, a few years ago my wife was pulling me on the wakeboard. When I let go of the rope she did a 180 degree about face and sucked up every inch of my favorite rope. We now have nicknamed that cove as "marital moment cove". Unfortunately it took me closer to two hours to cut the rope out.

PS: Something to teach any operator of our boats. The pumps are still sucking if it's in "neutral". You've got to shut the engines off if you're going to pass over the line.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are only 2 kinds of jet-boaters that ski.......Those who have sucked up a rope, and, well, just wait!!.....

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow. I had no idea this was such a problem. This will be my first jet. I was obviously aware of what happens when the rope gets to know a prop. I unfortunately have first hand experience with this, but it only ruined the rope and never damaged the boat or prop.
I kind of thought the rope just slid under a jet boat. I had no idea the damage it can cause.
I learn something on this site every day.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not all the time does it break something but there are times it does.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I sucked mine up, my son was on the tube a little ways out. Suddenly the tube started to come in on the boat. I didn't realize what that meant and it took me about .5 seconds to kill the engines. But it still rammed his head hanging over the front of the tube into the boat. Ouch.

So probably good to educate tubers as well: if you start coming for the boat while we are standing still, slide off the back.

wakeformer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wow the stories of our Hoover vacuum like boats are plenty. I posted this pic on my face book page and I have friend who said he would repair it for me at his shop. So looks like I will have a spare for the next time this happens as I already replaced it with a new one. Btw they are very easy to replace just make sure you use lock tight on the 3 bolts.